Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 ST3. Ready to change from the OEM Michelin Pilot Roads. Anyone have any experience with the 'new' Avon Storm ST or the 'new' Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z6 ?
I'm looking for a good Sport Touring tire for a 450lb bike, w/ 220 lb rider. Tire should have great wet and dry grip. Handling is more important than mileage, but am not looking to put Super Sport tires on the bike.
Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I use the Avon Storms. They seem to vary a great deal in wear. My present set is indicating longer wear and the handling is excellent.

J

·
0 Posts
I have a 2004 ST3. Ready to change from the OEM Michelin Pilot Roads. Anyone have any experience with the 'new' Avon Storm ST or the 'new' Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z6 ?
I'm looking for a good Sport Touring tire for a 450lb bike, w/ 220 lb rider. Tire should have great wet and dry grip. Handling is more important than mileage, but am not looking to put Super Sport tires on the bike.
Suggestions?
Pirelli diablo strada,in my opinion at a whopping 255lbs this is the best tire i've ever had on this bike.I run 34 in the front,36 in the back for both twisties and long slab riding.I've never tried avon or metzler cause i have know reason to change what is perfect for me and my bike,good luck:)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I am trying the Dunlop Road Smarts for the first time. I have about 2500 miles so far and they have been a tremendous tire. Have been in heat, rain, rain and snow mix, and hail and by far the best wet tire I have used. Also have done very high speed runs for hours in Eastern Oregon in June. Tire wear so far so good. I used to run the Avon Storms for years. I liked those also, but I think I am getting better wear from the Dunlops. Will know for sure as time goes on.

Mike

·
Registered
204 Posts
My ST2 came with OEM Dunlops and they were ok but I replaced them with Michelin Roads and found the bike was no-where as nimble as before....much less willing to fall into a turn. I just replaced the Roads with the Metzeler Roadtec and I have my old bike back ++. I only have a few km on the Metzelers but so far I am very impressed .... good grip, smooth, confidence inspiring. Haven't tried them in the wet yet tho.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Not what you asked for, but I'll recommend regular old Pilot Powers. I got an honest (wear bars just showing, not down to the cords...) 10K out of my last set. Most of that was while I was a 100 mile a day commuter. Handling and grip are well documented on these tires. I very nearly went for the new Road IIs just based on reviews I've read, but when I held a rear in my hands and compared the weight side-by-side to the Powers, I very quickly changed my mind. Seemed very heavy to me.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I currently have a PR2 rear and PP2CT front.

The PR2 works well, and is lasting much better than the PP or PP2CT rear (3k miles, typically).

Tom

·
Registered
813 Posts
another +1 for the Pirelli Diablo Strada , very pleased so far with the grip in the corners even with two up at a moderate pace , very nice over grooved surfaces also .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Current hot tire for the ST is the Pilot Road 2 (2ct).

I have a set, but haven't put them on yet, so I'm not sure of the difference. However, others rave about them.
I use the Pilot road 2 on the rear and a pilot power in front.
Excellent set of tires. Due to the form excellent handling and also great wet grip. Don't want any others.
Mileage of the Pilot road 2 is about 2x the powers (and all other sport tyres); I did about 11 k km on a road 2, where I'm used to somewhere between 4-6 k km on sport tyres.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've been going with Pilot Roads for the mileage I get out of them. They give me more than 10,000 miles before they hit the wear bars. Excellent stability and braking capabilities in the rain. For me, they work well, but I'm an old guy in an area hundreds of miles from any serious curves. However, in the Hot-Ass department, the tires do pretty well, considering the hard rubber compound, at extreme lean angles. Going into a curve and maintaining speed through a sweeper they do fine. Where I find their limitation is when I gas it at the end of a curve while still leaned over. Even then it's not an unpredictable or uncontrolable slide.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Mileage of the Pilot road 2 is about 2x the powers (and all other sport tyres); I did about 11 k km on a road 2, where I'm used to somewhere between 4-6 k km on sport tyres.
That's what I get on sport tires, so well see what I get on the PR2.

Tom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Installed Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z6 tires past weekend...not a lot of miles yet, but by far better than OEM tires.

Never had them b4, so can't report on mileage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just replaced what may have been the original, worn Metzeler ME3's with a brace of Roadtec Z6's, not the Interacts because I couldn't get a matched pair. Only 260 miles on the tires as of yesterday so other than saying that the difference in handling was impressive, that's it for my experience. New tires, new bike, no mileage and no rain.

Much, much better handling. Nice progressive drop into the turns, holds steady thru the turn and where before the countersteering effort was prononced, now it only takes a light touch. Easier to change lines. Grip seems okay but I'm just coming off babying the new tires so nothing special in the leaning department either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pirelli diablo strada,in my opinion at a whopping 255lbs this is the best tire i've ever had on this bike.I run 34 in the front,36 in the back for both twisties and long slab riding.I've never tried avon or metzler cause i have know reason to change what is perfect for me and my bike,good luck:)
Best Tire out there. Ive tried everything from he Metzlers to Michelins on all my bikes and I always come back to the Pirelli Strada. I does it all, great in both wet and dry conditions and stays round and sticky through out the whole life of the tire. I usually get around 6-8k out of a rear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the Pirelli diablo strada on my 22005 ST3. I find them very confidence inspiring with good turn in feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a set of Metzler Roadtec Interacts installed while down at the WSBK, in Salt Lake, this past May. 6k on them now, and show very little signs of wear. Have found them to work well in the wet, and although curves of any sort are lacking within 5 hours of my home, found them to be great through the mountains in Wyoming and Montana, on the way back home from SLC; and on a ride out to the West coast through the Canadian Rockies since then. Am running 42 rear and 40 front, to keep my 300 lbs + rolling along.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What about the Bridgestones?

I do not see anyone saying anything about the Bridgestone Battlax BT021. I have a friend who has them on his Buell and loves them. I am thinking of trying a set as they are on the average way cheaper than the Pilots. Anyone care to comment on the Bridgestones

·
Registered
244 Posts
G'day...

I went from pilots to the pirelli stradas, love the stradas....

1 - 20 of 100 Posts