Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Want to try some different tires on my 998.

Currently on Michelin Pilots, 180 rear.

Would like to try Pirelli Diablo Corsa.
190 rear and 120 front.
Bike doesnt go on the track but does get ridden pretty hard in the hills.

Any recommendations?
Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a 998 with Meztler Rennsport's. I believe its an RS2... great feedback and really consistent... Great for canyons/tracks... Very similiar to the Pirelli SuperCorsas

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hummm...wonder why the Metzler's feel very similar to the Pirelli's?????

I think this thread is only going to make your chioce tougher....20 replies/20 different recommendations!! I put Bridgestone BT-014's on the SS and immediately loved them. I would have loved anything considering the tire it replaced though, but still very impressed. So much so that I am pretty sure this will be my next tire on the 749.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
+1 on the Pirelli Diablo Corsa, I prefer 180 rear though, on a 5.5in wheel it's much better. :)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Doesn't Pirelli have a Diablo and a Diablo Corsa??? Two different tires but they look just alike? Same tread design and everything right? But you still run the Corsa on the street? Would you not want the regular Diablo for the street on these bikes?? What kind of mileage would you get out of the Corsa cause I'm looking at getting probably 8,000+ from my Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Metzeler and Pirelli are the same tire manufacture company...

galaxy said:
Hummm...wonder why the Metzler's feel very similar to the Pirelli's?????

I think this thread is only going to make your chioce tougher....20 replies/20 different recommendations!! I put Bridgestone BT-014's on the SS and immediately loved them. I would have loved anything considering the tire it replaced though, but still very impressed. So much so that I am pretty sure this will be my next tire on the 749.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
sblea said:
Metzeler and Pirelli are the same tire manufacture company...
Correct, BUT there are diffrences between there tires.

Metzeler Racetech And Pirelli Supercorsa Pro have the same rubber compound, but the shoulders are diffrent.

Personally i would definatly recommend the Supercorsa Pro for trackriders. Superb feeling and grip. But tirewarmers is almost a must with these. Otherwise you may experience "cold-tearing" (warm outside, but cold shoulder), which will tear the rubber of the shoulöder of the tire.

Dunlop 208GP´s are real popular as well as Michellin Power´s.
It all depends on what type of riding one does. I´ve used Dunlop´s 207´s on the road and for "moderate" track use. A very nice tire.

But one thing is sure. The 190 rear tire is abit wide. Go with a 180 tire if you doen´t ride VERY fast on the track (when power throughput is a problem).
The 180 will give you a bike that is easier to turn and be nicer to your wallet.

The reason why Ducati put the 190 on the superbike is only because of "esthetic" reasons(IE: to look "fat"). A 180 is a better fit on a 5.5" rim.

//amullo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stick w/the Pilot Powers & run them if you hit the track as well.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Just dont run Maxxis!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Michelin Pilots have worked out so well, and brought me more milage than I anticipated, that I will be riding on a new set very soon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pilot powers im putting a set on my 749 next week

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I love the Diablos. Wet or dry they stick like glue. Never a wiggle.

But.... the rear will be totally gone by 4100Km's
You'll go through three rears before the front is cupped enough to warrant replacing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sticky Tires

Most of the new tires are great so it probably boils down to which brands you are loyal too. My only advice is to be aware these sticky buns tend to pick up nails at a higher rate than slightly harder rubber. Not much you can do to avoid something that small on the road but I would be prepared for some heart burn if and when it happens. I picked up nails with Super Corsas on my Aprillia, and around 200 miles one in the back tire of my 999R. It is a definite bummer!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I run Bridgstone 012ss's I love them!! They heat up faststick good wet and dry. I usually get about 4500mi out of the rear the front would be good for more if I ever needed to save a few bucks ( i normally hold on the the used fronts and sell them to squidds) The 012ss's are $20-$30 cheaper than the Dunlops.
In the past I have tried Maxxis's And Dunlops. The maxxis gave good milage maybe 6000 miles but the rear would slide around when I hammered out of corners. The dunlops I ran were the 208, not the gp. They were terrible IMHO. It seemed like they never warmed up. It 95 degrees at night time here in Texas.
I have consided the Michelin powers. I have a friend that switched fron the 012ss to them. he say they stick just as well but he gets about 1000 more mile out of them. I dont know??? I also read a review on a new dunlop called the "qualifier" it sounded like a really sticky tire, and its foot print was 20% bigger than the 208 gp.
I have to be really confident in my tire or im not comfortable pushing my bike... so I say find something you like that suits your riding style and stick with it. As long as its not a tomahawk or something like that

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
galaxy said:
Doesn't Pirelli have a Diablo and a Diablo Corsa??? Two different tires but they look just alike? Same tread design and everything right? But you still run the Corsa on the street? Would you not want the regular Diablo for the street on these bikes?? What kind of mileage would you get out of the Corsa cause I'm looking at getting probably 8,000+ from my Pilot Powers.
Diablo & Diablo corsa look the same (as were Dragon/evo and the Corsa variants), the only difference AFAIK is the rubber compound - The Corsa is softer/grips better/wears faster, actually I'm using the Diablo rear which is fine for street use and a Corsa front, which is also fine but a Corsa rear would wear out too quick for my liking and on the street the extra grip is not a big issue (the Diablo's grip well). But since the fronts last longer I use the corsa on that as I do like to have as much front grip as possible and the Corsa front will still last almost as long as 2 Diablo rears.

Can't imagine getting 8,000 from a Diablo rear (don't get much more than that on my Car tyres!), maybe from the front but the rear's all over at less than half of that.

:)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
So you are still only getting 4,000 out of a regualr non-corsa Diablo??

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Yes, about 4,000 from the rear and 6-7,000 from the front (Corsa), when I first changed to Diablo from Dragon Evo, I was told that they would last better but I can't say I've noticed any difference but I did find the Dragon Evos lasted longer than the Dragons before them, the only other tyre I've tried on the 916 was the OEM Michelin Hi-Sport which lasted longer (but then the bike needed breaking-in so I rode it more steadily) but I was never very confident with the grip.

Always preferred the look of the original Dragon though but I've been a Pirelli convert since my early biking days with the 'Phantoms' :)

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I've used Diablos, Diablo Corsas, Pilot Powers and 208RRs.

As to the Diablos vs. Diablo Corsas, the Corsas gave me MORE life than the Diablos, 5300km vs. 4200km on the rear. Pilot Powers in between at 4800km, and the 208RRs about 5400km. I currently have Corsas on the SS and Pilot Powers on the ST2. I wanted to get 208RRs again for the SS, but they didn't have any at the time. They worked very well on the SS, and maybe I'll try them on the ST2 after the Pilot Powers wear out. Only problem with the Pilot Powers is that they make the front a little unstable (some head shake on occaison, never happens with Diablos or Corsas).

Tom

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Interesting that the Diablo Corsa lasted better, I've not tried a Corsa rear mainly because I assumed it would wear too quickly.........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts