Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the cornerspeed class at VIR this month, and after that the bike will only be ridden at the track (2001 996). I'm buying some new rubber and trying to decide between either the Michelin Power 2CT or Power One tires.

What would be the best choice? I wanted to try out the Power Ones, but I'm wondering if they are overkill for a beginning track rider.

I'm not too concerned with the price difference, since it's not that huge of a price jump to the Power Ones.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Pilot Powers/2CT get up to temp quickly without warmers, work very well in a variety of conditions and are just fine for pushing at a good pace. No expereince with Power Ones, but generally spaeaking, race tires work well in a relatively narrow range of conditions and you have to keep heat in them.

Pilot Powers are the safe bet for a non-racer. If you are really fast, you'd already know if you need the Power Ones.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with Matt- I think the Power Ones are overkill for your first time out. I made the mistake of originally starting out on Power Races (the predecessor to the Power Ones) and I didnt reach their max range until the 5th or so track day. You will pay less for the 2CT and they should last longer as well. They'll get up to temp quicker and will work in a variety of track temps/surfaces.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been enjoying the 2CTs on my 999. No warmers. No worries. One to two laps for warm up and I'm good to go. If you're planning on fall riding when the temp dips, the 2CTs will be a safer bet.
C

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I was a fan of the 2ct's. They worked well for the occasional track days as well as a nice quickend pace road ride. Before those I ran the Dunlop d208's and before those the Dunlope quals. and before those the Pilot powers.
Out of all those I enjoyed the 2ct's much better on the track and road. They warm up faster ( using the start stop meathod as opposed to the swearvy steer meathod) and seemed to hold the heat for grip very well.
I now run Pirelli Super Corsa's. They take much longer to heat up and dont hold the heat as well, but damn its like having glue on your bike when they are hot.
Just my 2 pennies

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
You should tell that to this intermediate rider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alYYU4mTc-g
Guess it's a good thing he's got traction control on his bike, huh?!?! 1.52 bike is nearly stood up completely and he lights it up out of the corner.

The 2CT *is* a good tire for an intermediate or beginner track day rider. But I stand by my claim that when the tire gets pretty worn out *or* a sudden movement deep into a corner, Michelin DOT tires are very well known to be on/off switches. The do not warn you, they just let go.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
You should tell that to this intermediate rider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alYYU4mTc-g
I guess you didnt read or was privey to the aftermath conversation with collen.
He admitted it was an amazing tire for a DOT tire.
Thats just like saying its still not as good as a race tire. Hence the reason I run diablo super corsa's :)
notice in the video at sepang in turn 4 how he spun the living crap out of that rear and made it smoke,
when was the last time you were able to SMOKE a race tire on the track. ummm prolly never. They dont over heat to the point of smoking on accel. with our 200 or less hp.
I still like the 2ct for what it is.
A great road tire that can handle track days ( not race days) just fine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Guess it's a good thing he's got traction control on his bike, huh?!?! 1.52 bike is nearly stood up completely and he lights it up out of the corner.

The 2CT *is* a good tire for an intermediate or beginner track day rider. But I stand by my claim that when the tire gets pretty worn out *or* a sudden movement deep into a corner, Michelin DOT tires are very well known to be on/off switches. The do not warn you, they just let go.
Totally aggree. I do not like Michelins. They are good for your first track day, then just for street duty. After a 2 trackdays go Supercorsa's!!! And you'll never look back.......

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
+1
supercorsa

·
Registered
698 Posts
mito says he is a beginning track rider - not a race group all star like some of you would have us believe. I wonder how many seconds most of us would be on our tires of choice behind Colin on his 2CTs.

As for letting a tire get "pretty worn out" or making "a sudden movement deep in a corner" well, you only have yourself to blame when you fall.

I think the video illustrates a good point - just how good some street rubber is. Its not conclusive I agree, however I also think it is naive and unlikely to think that Colin, or Collen, would chuck away his $millions M1 and risk injury for the sake of a tire launch. Of course he was taking it easy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For track only: Power Ones
For Track and Street: 2ct.
x2 I've had the 2ct's get a little greasy on a hot day{@ the track}...the Power one's stick like glue.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i'd vote for 2ct's. chances are for your first couple of trackdays you won't get enough heat in dot races to take advantage of the additional traction. plus with the 2cts you'll be able to ride when it's wet or raining.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't understand the discussion here. Power Ones are better track tires than 2cts. Power Ones give you better "sticky" surface. I know he is a new track rider, but a better tire will only save his ass. Any tire needs to be brought up to the temperature. A couple warm-up laps will do that, and I am sure the track school will make them do that. That being said, if you've read some Keith Code books, the dude suggests to run on the tires that you could push it to the limit, that way you understand where the limit is, and how to slide the rear end.. you could get the 2cts and test this theory.

This discussion remembers me of a thread a while ago about Slipper Clutch vs. No-Slipper Clutch for beginner/street rider. Slipper clutch is cheating, but it will save your ass.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Well, the local cycle gear pretty much made the decision easier as they only had 2CTs in stock. The track school is on Friday of next week, so I didn't want to have to worry about ordering them and them not being here in time. I will DEFINITELY try the Power Ones next time.

I'll post my experience at school next weekend, and let you guys know everything went. Getting the bike track prepped was a blast as I kinda went overboard with all the small things (i.e. corse CF breather setup, tail mount, fairing stay/gauge mount, etc.) Finding all the parts was quite the adventure.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
You made a good choice. You will most definitely apprciate the 2CT's if you get any rain or if the weather is cooler than anticipated. The beauty of those tires is how well they work in a wide range of conditions. I've used the 2ct's on the track alot. After I got faster, I came to appreciate DOT race tires, but only with warmers. They sucked in the morning when the track was still green. The PP's would get vague on feedback when pushed hard, but never suprised me by losing traction suddenly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts