Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the tires on a 2004 999, Michelin Sports are on the bike now, I was thinking of going to Pirelli, I use the bike mainly on the road and plan on a few track days this summer and was wondering if the Corse wear to fast to use on the road or are they reasonable for both? What are other 999 riders using?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

I just replaced my Michellin Sports with Pirelli Diablo Corse and am very happy with the tires. No idea on wear as they are brand new.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I replaced my OEM Michelin's with Pirelli Supercorsa's 1000mi. ago when I bought after market wheels. I went for a 180/55 rear which is the proper size, in my opinion. I had Michelin Pilots with a 180 rear on my last Duc and thought it was great, which leads me to believe the 190 was and still is a poor choice for the rear..

As far as wear, after 1000mi. the rear isn't going to go much over 2-2.5k before changing. Upside is the bike feels glued to the road, downside is wear factor, if you ride highways or alot of straights get the Michelins with a 180 rear. It's a bit of a double edged sword in So Cal, great twisty roads but 25-30 miles of freway to get there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride the Diablo Corse as well. You will like the performance. I concur on the 180 size. I have about 1500 miles on mine including a track day.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The Michelin Powers are great tires. They will give you a little more mileage than the Pirelli Diablo Corsa (at least it has for me).

·
Registered
142 Posts
I appears(to me) the profile is not ideal running a 190 tire on a 5.5 rim. That is my personal observation by just looking. Profile looks to be OK, but flattens out near the bead. Handling is the other observation, much better with a 180.

This issue came up in 1995 or 1996 when the hot set up, at least in So Cal, on the 916 was 190 rear. Most riders went back to 180 fairly quickly due to poor handling characteristics. I don't remember when Ducati came out with the 190 as OEM and I've never heard a good reason for it either.

I actually run a 180 Supercorsa on a 6" rim which Pirelli recommends unlike other tire manufacturers. Check each manufacturers spec's yourself cause you're going to get alot of conflicting feedback by bringing this topic up.

These are just my observations and opinions so ask around and form your own.

·
Registered
100 Posts
fishboy said:
I ride mainly twisties, very little freeways, why a 180 over a 190 ?
The main attraction is that the 180 will allow quicker turn-in. A 180 Pilot Power will be even quicker because of the taller profile than other tires as well. The only "issue" with Pilot Powers is ensuring that geometry is reset. I ended up droping an additional 4mm all around switching from Sports to Powers. Not sure about the Corsa's though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts