Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a good set of tires for my 998. I don't do any track riding, just to work and back and the weekend backroad blast. I think I'm gonna go with a 180/55 rear, but other than that I don't know what brand/model would suit my riding best. I thought I'd ask the experts rather than get talked into something I don't need from a dealer. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Can anybody recommend a good set of tires for my 998. I don't do any track riding, just to work and back and the weekend backroad blast. I think I'm gonna go with a 180/55 rear, but other than that I don't know what brand/model would suit my riding best. I thought I'd ask the experts rather than get talked into something I don't need from a dealer. Thanks guys!
I've used Michelin Pilot Powers and have been satisfied with them.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've been using Pilot Powers for the past few years.

I've always used a 180 rear, and have over the years tried 120/60, 120/65 and 120/70 fronts, and find that a 120/65 works best for me.

A lot of people I know are trying Bridgestone BT016s and are impressed.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Score another for the BT016's. Awesome tires for street riding.

And there are some great deals to be had right now. There was another post someplace in the last day or two for a source for them. Competition Accessories IIRC.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds like you do the same kind of riding I do. I don't really have a big need for the really high end sticky tires.

I've had several sets of the Michelin Pilot Powers, always happy with them. The Pilot Power 2ct is popular also. It has a harder center and softer edges.

If you like Pirelli, a lot of people are using the Rosso's right now with great results. I have the Diablo Supercorsa Pro's now, and I have to admit they're more than I need for the street.

The Bridgestones as mentioned above are also popular. I checked that link this morning about the deal, and the price went up a bit, but still a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think the easier question to answer would be 'what is the worst tire you could recommend'. I really don't think there is a bad tire out there today..

I've got a set of Michelin PP 2CT on my 1098 and they are great so far. I've got about 1500 miles on them so far and they haven't squared off yet. I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
eh, I decided not to be lazy and post this link up here after all. Check out: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303341&highlight=tires

This thread taught me a lot about tires and which ones I should use.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Just mounted a set of Pilot Powers on my 748 a week ago (meant to order 2CT's but screwed up). Only managed about 20 scrub-in miles on the street before trackdays on Saturday and Sunday at Gingerman. They are now well scrubbed edge to edge, front and rear, and were "enough" for me in that I wasn't sliding all over at my moderate pace--fastest Novice Saturday, close 2nd fastest Sunday--yeah, tallest midget:eek:) However, I most definitely had more confidence in the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas I was running before, including one trackday last month at Road America. I had no complaints about the Pirelli's on the street either. As I mentioned, I have no opinion of the Pilot Powers on the street yet.

A faster friend (one of the top Intermediates) really likes the Bridgestone BT016's. He's obviously quick on the track, but he logs a lot of miles on the street too. I consider his opinion to be high praise.

BTW, just posted some on bike video I took from this weekend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOCswosWAoA Those GoPro cameras? Awesome. My riding? Ehhh. The editing? Hey, it's a first try. Plus, I don't have my forward facing clips yet, which were transferred to a friends laptop to clear the memory cards.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This thread couldnt have come at a better time...

I need new tires for my 998 !!. She's wearing supercorsa's at the moment. PO put 'em on and I believe they were race take offs. Regardless, ive been having a blast with the bike but need new tires and want comparable grip.
Thinking about mounting the same rubber on her..

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,396 Posts
Running Michelin 2CT's on two of our bikes the 998 and the 1098 the 748 is still running Michelin PP's and it doesn't get ridden often enough to run out and buy new tyres just yet! More than happy with the 2CT's, much better longevity with the 1098 than the original Pirelli's, probably not as sticky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts