Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a pair of Road Smarts. I think I have about 3,500 miles on them. The rear tire is about done already. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I recently bought a pair of Road Smarts. I think I have about 3,500 miles on them. The rear tire is about done already. Is this normal?
I wouldn't think so! What are you running for pressure? I get much more out of a Pilot Power. I keep it at 37psi for mildly aggressive street riding, no passenger and no luggage. Isn't the Road Smart an ST tire? Track time? Heavy loads? Riding on 100grit sandpaper??? You'd think it should be closer to 6 or 10K.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been touring in all types of terrain. No track use. I wouldn't say my loads have been heavy, my side bags are less than 20lbs each when loaded and a small tank bag. I weigh 170lbs. All 'normal' I'd say. I will say that the majority of my miles had all my gear. Someone else pointed out that my suspension isn't setup properly-perhaps contributing to quicker than normal tire wear.

Just seems I burned through the rear really fast. The front seems fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Based on what I've read about the RoadSmarts, 3500 miles seems pretty low. I'm at 4800 miles on my Pilot Powers and will replace them soon. While I'm extremely happy with the perfomance and happy with the life on the Powers, the RoadSmarts were on my short list as a good performing tire that could get me more miles (not less) based on what others have been experiencing. While tire wear varies greatly by individual, I'd say you have a good shot at winning the lowest mileage award on a RoadSmart. Let us know if you come to any conclusions on what may have cause the short life. On the flip side, you may be the best and most aggressive rider on the forum and just hard on tires.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can firmly claim NOT to be the most aggressive rider on the forum. Well, if I am, there are some SUPER lame riders in here! I'm average, and feel semi-confident with that statement!

couple shots of me riding, not that you can tell much from them, but you can tell my knees are FAR from the ground. Just the way I like it.

I'll have to look up the exact milage of the tires. I may be wrong, I may have 4,000 miles on them. even so, seems short lived. However, it's possible that my tire was a touch low on psi for 1,000 miles at one point with it loaded down. Anyway. It's only more money right?

www.courtlevephoto.com/galleries/motoride

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Burn through a couple more sets of tires to see what is considered "normal" for you, your bike, your local roads, and your riding style. You will hear all sorts of mileage ranges from 1500 miles to over 12,000 miles. Personally, I've had sport tires hit the wear bars in as little as 1400 miles (a FRONT tire) and have had sport-touring tires bald and hitting the cords in as little as 2200. In my earlier days of riding, I was getting 4000-6000 miles. "Normal" for my wife and me is around 2500 miles per set at our current pace.....Ok, now someone should chime in to counter with their sport tire lasting more than 15,000 miles. :D

With your front tire still being in good shape, I'd say you tend to like the acceleration of the bike and are chewing it up pretty well that way. You may be one of those people who can get a good 2:1 ratio between rear tires to front tires.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I live in Boulder, CO. Great twisties here. But a lot of chip and seal road surfacing. Very tough on tires. The mileage we get out here doesn't compare to the numbers others are getting in different parts of the country.

Pilot Powers? Nearly 5k miles? never happen here. I just finished a BT-021, got 4k miles. That's about as much as I've gotten on any rear tire - ever on any bike.

You live in Truckee. The roads out there are going to be more rugged than some of the cupcake stuff (smooth asphalt) that others on this forum have experienced. 3500 on roadsmarts is about right for Colorado.

-B

·
Registered
466 Posts
ST tires

Pirelli Diablos - now have 7K+ and plenty of tread remaining. I'm not a hard-charging kinda rider, but they've been excellent tires for me. I'd buy them again. They were recommended for Sport Touring bikes by BIKE magazine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
All depends on load, speed and pressures.

I rarely get more than 5000miles on a rear sport touring compound or 2000 on a soft tire.
If I'm running highways all the time I run 36, 42psi.Corner carving 32, 34.This last Diablo I torched was so little mileage I'm going on a diet.:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
For me I am seeing a trend of a new rear tire at 6000 miles.

I do change them before the cord starts showing btw.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in Boulder, CO. Great twisties here. But a lot of chip and seal road surfacing. Very tough on tires. The mileage we get out here doesn't compare to the numbers others are getting in different parts of the country.

Pilot Powers? Nearly 5k miles? never happen here. I just finished a BT-021, got 4k miles. That's about as much as I've gotten on any rear tire - ever on any bike.

-B
Hmmm, last time I checked, Colorado Springs was in CO. Didn't think I was that gentle on tires...must have been doing the serious riding on the ZX10 and babying the ST4S.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
3000-4000 out of a set of PP's and PP2CT's.

I have a set of Pilot Road 2's ready to mount, hope to see 5-6K from the rear.

I ride the roads pretty agressively, and 40% two up will take it's toll on the rear.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just removed my Pilot Road 2 from the rear which had 6447 miles on it and just under 2mm tread. Still legal here but a little square. In any case I am touring Scotland next week and they grind up the local granite including a lot of quartz to use on the roads so we see how that goes.

Replaced with BT021 as I always prefered the feel

·
Registered
273 Posts
3800 on the rear Conti Road Attack center part of groove now smooth. (end of a 1500 mile road trip)

·
Registered
43 Posts
9,000 miles til the cord showed on a rear Conti RoadAttack. front still had a little tread, but went I went to replace the rear, they didn't have contis, so I bought a pair of RoadSmarts. just last weekend, so no report yet on RoadSmart vs. RoadAttack wear.

160 lbs, never ride 2-up, medium agressive style, check tire pressure twice a year or so.

my impression has been that what wears out rear tires is acceleration. so, doing a lot of city driving is going to wear them faster than someone who puts most of his/her miles on on the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts