Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure I saw this on the forum couple months ago about tire rub. Put Pilot 5s on my 2018 1260 S and at about 3K miles noticed little like bite marks on the outside of the tire. If you push the chain towards the tire it makes slight contact. Had it at the dealer the other day for service and they said everything aligned but perhaps the profile of the Pilot 5 just enough different then stock tires particularly with some miles on them. Of course had to take it back today as they adjusted the chain way to tight, weird part is when they initially adjusted I checked and it was fine but some how on the ride home it tightened up and they had no explanation. Anybody else seeing this type of tire rub?
thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
Pretty sure I saw this on the forum couple months ago about tire rub. Put Pilot 5s on my 2018 1260 S and at about 3K miles noticed little like bite marks on the outside of the tire. If you push the chain towards the tire it makes slight contact. Had it at the dealer the other day for service and they said everything aligned but perhaps the profile of the Pilot 5 just enough different then stock tires particularly with some miles on them. Of course had to take it back today as they adjusted the chain way to tight, weird part is when they initially adjusted I checked and it was fine but some how on the ride home it tightened up and they had no explanation. Anybody else seeing this type of tire rub?
thanks
Haven't seen this on the Pilot 5s I have on now, but I did see it on the Angel GTs I had on before. It seemed to go away with a slight tightening of the chain. Took a few tries to get the chain to what I considered the sweet spot; loose enough to not stress anything but tight enough not to rub.

·
Registered
122 Posts
thanks
That was my 1260, even when new it marked the OEM tyres and was terrible on the R5's (which measure up at 196 wide)
They ended up putting new chains and sprockets on it and problem disappeared. I believe a faulty chain was the culprit in my case, but I'm not brave enough to run R5 again

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
One has to wonder whether all 190mm/55/17 tires are the same width?
We would thinks so but are they really?
Even if they are, are they the same width at the same distance from the rim?

Reactions: Desmofreak

·
Registered
186 Posts
One has to wonder whether all 190mm/55/17 tires are the same width?
We would thinks so but are they really?
Even if they are, are they the same width at the same distance from the rim?
No, they aren't. I have problem with d212 gp racer on sfs, I'll see the cleareance with supercorsa sc01 on after i'm done with dunlop...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
No, they aren't. I have problem with d212 gp racer on sfs, I'll see the cleareance with supercorsa sc01 on after i'm done with dunlop...
Damn. That's really disconcerting. Tire manufacturers should release actual (Width, Sidewall Height, Diameter) tire size (mm) in their specifications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts