Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't understand the OP's rant. Certainly there are differences between brands and designs, but modern tires are so good that there aren't many who can outride their tires on the street.
It's not, necessarily, outriding a tire. But there are differences that you can feel. And I will be the first to admit that I'm not the fastest guy out there. Far from it. Even so, I can feel the differences.

I remember the first time I put a Michelin on the ST after some Dunlops. Holy shit. Much softer sidewalls and more flex than I was used to. I got used to it and actually enjoyed the feel I got from them after I got to know the tire. These are the things tire shootouts can tell you.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It's hard to compare one tire to another if you ride until one set wears out, then replace them.
New tires always feel better. Now if you tried different new tires back to back on the same bike...
That might be useful. That is not practical for me, so tire reviews are what I got.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
If your an expert rider those opinions might mean more to you, but even street tire tests are performed at the ragged edge by guys on free bikes using free tires. Most people don’t ride like magazine test riders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's right. Tire reviews suck. And so does the state of non-biased journalistic reporting in general. I've been searching for a recent meaningful motorcycle tire shootout, either in an article or video, from a qualified source and it doesn't exist anymore. Remember the days of tire tests from the likes of Cycle World or Performance Bike? Nope. Print is dead and everything is online and ad-driven verbal diarrhea. No one will bring up any negative aspects of the product. Everybody gets a participation award! Fuckwits.

I want to hear from a reliable source, in an unbiased manner, why a Bridgestone S22 is better or worse than a Dunlop Q3+ or Pirelli Corsa II or whatever it turns out to be. All the damn reviews out there are from sources that want to sell you the product. Of course they're not going to be critical about it. They want you to buy it.

Retards. Oh, sorry, mentally stunted individuals. Grr.
Yeah, I agree, the mentally challenged greed driven media is endless, but the intelligent
no-nonsense product write-ups are nowhere to be found !?!... ???

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's not, necessarily, outriding a tire. But there are differences that you can feel....
What you say is true. So do you wish that moto tire reviewers felt the same differences between tires that you do? That would be cool, but then someone else would come along and complain that the review was biased or trivial. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
I’m a big fan of F9, but because they’re not for sale the mfgr’s don’t throw bikes at them.
IMO you can tell you really have gotten to know your bike when you start to notice the difference between top tier tires. They’re all pretty good.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,886 Posts
Does this guy actually ride and test or just regurgitate promotional material? Just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does this guy actually ride and test or just regurgitate promotional material? Just asking.

yes he rides. I believe he does more of adventure riding. But they buy and test everything they review. They are not given stuff to get good reviews.

Very entertaining either way.

Rex

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So, to follow up... I went with the Bridgestone S22. I want to try them out and I guess we'll see how it goes. Found a decent deal from Rocky Mtn. ATV/MC. They had them cheaper than most and I wasn't going to look around forever. Plus there's a rebate offer if you buy a set. The two of them are only going to cost me $170. Deal!

·
Registered
897 Posts
So, to follow up... I went with the Bridgestone S22. I want to try them out and I guess we'll see how it goes. Found a decent deal from Rocky Mtn. ATV/MC. They had them cheaper than most and I wasn't going to look around forever. Plus there's a rebate offer if you buy a set. The two of them are only going to cost me $170. Deal!
thanks for the tip-went with the same,$$$ can't be beat.Bridgestone Launches BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S22 Sports Radial Motorcycle Tires - Bridgestone’s premier tire for the modern street sport bike rider with uncompromising performance - News | Bridgestone

·
Administrator
12,248 Posts
Jessica aka Focker has been riding the S21 for a few years now and loves it. I think you made a good choice.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
My buddy TJ loves all the Bridgestone tires, they're all he will run.

Then again, he's a retired Bridgestone tire engineer, so he might be a little biased....;)

·
18,886 Posts
I should be getting a set of S22’s today for my KTM. Gotta get ready for when the motels open up in the mountains.

The last three sets on this bike were Pirelli Rosso III which I love. I just want to try something different and have liked Stones in the past. Should be a good comparison.

The only fault I’ve found with the Rosso III is when you first tip into a turn the feedback is a bit vague. Trust the tire and go in past that, or just flick it in rather than roll into the turn gently and it’s not noticeable.

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts

One of the only popular vloggers who DOESN'T just 'sell it'. As much as I like shows like 44T... they're clearly playing the game so their reviews are all suspect. Fortnine I actually trust I'm getting his (their... since he's just the frontman for a team) opinion... but of course that means he doesn't get gear thrown at him (they usually have to buy everything they review).

·
18,886 Posts
I have to give guys doing tire reviews some respect, and trust, because it’s hard to do. Tires we have available today are so amazingly good there’s not a lot of difference between them. Sure if you compare a Supercorsa SP to a Pilot Road 5 it’s a big enough difference that anyone could appreciate it. But within a given category the differences in performance are hard to judge.

It’s easy to judge mileage and pretty easy to know when one tire works better in the wet (think Supercorsa vs PP5). I think most good street riders can feel steering differences between a “V” or a “U” profile tire but that comes down to personal preference.

Dang it. The rear just came but not the front.

Compared to the Rosso III the profile of the rear is very similar. I was hoping for more of a “V” like the Supercorsa but we’ll see what the front looks like when it comes. Side wall and tread area feels stiffer than the Pirellis but not anywhere near as stiff as the Dunlop slicks for the little 400. Not that that’s a fare comparison but hay, I’m no professional at this. :)

21 - 40 of 83 Posts