Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to the Ducati world. I just bought an 08 Hypermotard 1100. Any recommendations on tires?

The bike obviously corners ridiculously fast. So I'm NOT looking for a tire that offers faster turn-in. Just an all around good recommendation for this bike. Was wondering if anyone knows what came OEM on the 08 Hypers.

Thanks
Tom

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
What’s on it now? Are they totally worn out? What do you like and dislike about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What’s on it now? Are they totally worn out? What do you like and dislike about them?

It came with Continetal tires. The rear is worn down to almost bald along the center of the tire. The front is ok, but I'd like to put a fresh set on front and rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike obviously corners ridiculously fast. So I'm NOT looking for a tire that offers faster turn-in. Just an all around good recommendation for this bike. Was wondering if anyone knows what came OEM on the 08 Hypers.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
58 Posts
My used 1100 came from the dealer with a new set of Bridgestone Battlax T30s. Wouldn't have been my first choice but they lasted nearly 9k miles (which included a handful of C group track days) so if you're looking for longevity that would be a good choice.

Running Diablo Rosso IIIs now and I get a bit more feel from them but you can't really tell the difference on the street.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I always ran Dunlop Q series tires on mine started with Q2 last set was Q3+
never an issue. If you have opened up the breathing and installed a open
exhaust and tune you will go through 3 rears to every front it will live up to
its name.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
It came with Continetal tires. The rear is worn down to almost bald along the center of the tire. The front is ok, but I'd like to put a fresh set on front and rear.
Conti, like all the manufacturers, makes a bunch of different tires for different uses. Which is on the bike now?

Where do you live? Mountains, dessert, lots of rain? Do you commute, weekend mountain twisty rides, city only, etc.

It’s impossible to make a blanket statement as to what the best tire type is without considering these things.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Pilot road 5 for all weather with longevity and excellent wet traction. Also the M7RR are fantastic. There is a new version now, M9RR but I have not tried them . The Road 5 are said to have "slow turn in" but it feels fine for me as a daily driver . I'm not the fastest nor do i try to be but both these tires are very sticky, great in 3 season and have a nice long life

·
Smut peddler
1,193 Posts
I was converted from the cult of Michelin, and am quite pleased to now swear allegiance to lord Dunlop. The Q3+ is an excellent tire, and if you want more mileage, the Roadsmarts are awesome as well. Every spring, Dunlop gives a rebate of $40, so that's a bonus too.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
A tire inspection should done on any used bike purchase. Find the date codes on the sidewall and plan to replace them regardless of wear if more that 5 years old. Look for uneven tread wear especially on the front tire. Like the OP my new to me 1100 had worn tires, rear was showing belts on the centerline, front still had tread but was old (2012) and hard. I am in San Diego county and recently had 8 Ball tire install new Pirelli Angel GT 2 front and back. Good reviews so far though others have complained about the front tire tracking rain grooves on the concrete highways. I rode a good 15 miles on said concrete so far and have not noticed any undirected tracking. Will keep posted as I roll up the miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts