Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have s set of tires for my ST4S I purchased a few years back.
They are Conti Motions front and reart
The use by date has expired...
Now to the question...
Are they usable??
They were stored in my garage out of the sun ...and out of the weather..
But they are old...I purchased them online a few years back...But due to surgeries and life my bike didnt get the miles I expected..
No opinions
FActs please..
Awww...fuk it...opinions also!!
Mike S

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fact - the "use by date" is expired. Continental says they are too old.

Opinion - I would use a brand new tire up to 3 years old. I have in the past and had no issues. If the tires were scuffs and put away for three years, I'd toss em'. In my experience, a scuffed tire dries out much faster than a sticker tire. IMO of course.

Good luck,
Scott L.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have seen people riding bikes that I wouldn't want to push the tires were so bad, so the question is somewhat subjective (to some...). Basic rule of thumb is that tires don't necessarily age well and their effectiveness (e.i. grip) declines with age. Try writing with an old pencil and then trying to use its eraser - same principle. How expired is the date? A jug of milk at the grocery store may have yesterday's date and be perfectly fine or tomorrow's date and already be sour. Since your tires have been kept in good conditions, they may be fine to use. I would recommend a good, thorough inspection and, if they are found to look good enough to mount, don't expect everything the manufacturer promised when they were first molded.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
What’s the build date ? Tires stored in a dark dry place don’t age like when they are out in the weather. If you don’t want to use them, pm me and I’ll come get them.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tires

The manufactured dat is late 2013
Purchased in 2015 or 2016...
My new Pirelli Angels were delivered saturday and the born on date is 2016
Im a little pissed to be truthful...If I pay for new tires I want a curent year tire...
Otherwise it seems less than a deal.
Mike S

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’ve bought tires that came from the warehouse several years old because some companies don’t make new ones until the old ones are used up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts