Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ST4 came with Michelin Pilots on it.
What are you guys running for air on theses?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My compressed air is bone dry to a dew point of -10F so i get little pressure gain. Suppose i could re-inflate with my portable compressor but that kind of waste the $$ spent on the air refidgeration system.
I for the life of me can't find any sticker on the frame, swing arm or under stock seat.

The bike came from the dealer with 31F and 33R and on my last ride the front felt slimmy when leaned over so I'll try uping to the 34F/36R and see how it turns

I do have a pyromenter both needle type and non contact but normaly getting temp figures from the MFG's is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Thanks for the info Dan.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
My compressed air is bone dry to a dew point of -10F so i get little pressure gain.
Given that you are using non standard equipment that almost none of us have access to, I'm not sure even the Ducati recommended pressures will be right for you. I assume that Ducati assumes we would be using normal compressed air to achive the recommended pressures, not dry air to inflate with. You’d probably be better served to contact the manufacture directly to get some feedback in this case. Would using dry air be similar to using Nitrogen as far as heat related pressure changes are concerned?

Not sure why you don't have frame stickers unless the previous owner removed them. Mine were right on the frame where you could see them. I removed them and stuck them on the frame rails under the seat. Recommended pressure should also be in the manual. There are some other stickers under the tool tray, maybe the PO moved them there?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm finding better tire life, with excellent feel and handling, running 38 PSI rear and 36 PSI front (Bridgestone 023s). Running the lower pressures recommended by Ducati, I would get front cupping within 2000 miles and be down to the cord on the rear tire by a bit over 5000 miles.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
My frame sticker says 33psi front, 37psi rear. It seems to work well with those.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
34/37 psi for me, lower pressures caused cupping on my previous PR2's

Craig

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes very similar to N2 infact it normaly feeds a N2 generator unit, but that unit had failed so i got the dryer CHEAP...
Ya i can't find the stickers anywhere i've had all the pannels off the bike too. normaly there on the swing arm but i got nothin..
No owners book, no tool kit just a plastic tray and a dumb wire...what are you suposed to do with it? are you suposed to loop it through the chin bar and hook the ends on the seat post? Got tool kit off ebay in the pouch...wrong plug wrench...DOH

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
The sticker is on the top of the rear seat frame on the left side. Clearly visible. It may have been peeled off. A long time ago, I posted a pic of mine in another air pressure thread here.

I didn't like the helmet lock wire either. I shipped it off to RoyalTiger. Speaking of, he hasn't been around in a while.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I'm finding better tire life, with excellent feel and handling, running 38 PSI rear and 36 PSI front (Bridgestone 023s). Running the lower pressures recommended by Ducati, I would get front cupping within 2000 miles and be down to the cord on the rear tire by a bit over 5000 miles.
I think it is preferable to go with the tire manufacturers recommended pressures as Ducatis' will be based on the OEM tires supplied with the bike only.

E.G. Michelins do not require extra pressure when carrying a pillion +/or luggage but Dunlop/others do.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I tried the OEM pressures and yes cupping on the front. All my other bikes had manuals that recommended 36f 42r and that's what I use and what I see the best tyre wear with for normal to spirited road riding. I found I didn't have the confidence with front at 32. The guy I just bought the 999 off was running 38 front 42 rear and he had a power 1 front tyre!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Running 39\39 on Dunlop roadsmarts per my suspension set up with local guru. Awesome handling and confidence in corners. Too soon to judge tire wear but Roadsmarts have served me well, 8 to 10k with minimal cupping at 36\39 before suspension redialed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2,650 Posts
Running 39\39 on Dunlop roadsmarts per my suspension set up with local guru. Awesome handling and confidence in corners. Too soon to judge tire wear but Roadsmarts have served me well, 8 to 10k with minimal cupping at 36\39 before suspension redialed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
So are you running 36 or 39 on the front ?

·
Registered
686 Posts
We work in bar. The manual states 2.1F and 2.2R on what I would guess would be the first Mitch Pilots. The garage that fitted the PR2s checked with mitchelin for the PR2s.....the front remained the same and the rear was increased to 2.3 bar. Apparently it makes no difference if a pillion is carried.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
2,650 Posts
We work in bar. The manual states 2.1F and 2.2R on what I would guess would be the first Mitch Pilots. The garage that fitted the PR2s checked with mitchelin for the PR2s.....the front remained the same and the rear was increased to 2.3 bar. Apparently it makes no difference if a pillion is carried.

Thats why I love the Michelins , less to alter when switching from solo to pillion. Will probably switch back when the currrent Dunlops wear out or for next season whichever comes soonest.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Carrying a passenger and luggage without increasing tire pressure makes no sense for a number of reasons - excessive heat buildup being of major concern.

Ducati's Owners Manual specifies that the front tire pressure be increased from 2.1 bar to 2.4 bar (30.5psi to 35psi) and the rear tire pressure be increased from 2.2 bar to 2.8 bar (32psi to 40.5psi.) No increase is specified if you're just carrying luggage.

If you inflate to these values with dry air or nitrogen then you'll get less pressure increase cold-to-hot than what Ducati intends since their psi specs assume you'll be using moist air, probably near 50% relative humidity.

In other words, the 10%/20% rule won't give you the optimum grip tire temperature if you fill your tires with a dry gas. The following P-T plot will allow you establish the correct %/% for your riding style. Most street tire will develop their best grip around 160°F - 180°F surface temperature on the rear tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can't answer that, it's a manufacturers recommendation. PR1s need the extra pressure as detailed in the owners manual, seems like PR2s don't. I have no idea why, but thats what Michelin advise.

·
2,650 Posts
Michelins are constructed using a fibre called Aramid for the bands which is not metal and hence may not heat-up like other 'steel banded' tires ?

I have specifically checked with them many times and they are adamant that pressures can stay the same solo/pillion or + luggage and as I have covered many miles in various configuration without any disproportionate wear issues I will stick with their advice for their tire when fitted.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Michelins are constructed using a fibre called Aramid for the bands which is not metal and hence may not heat-up like other 'steel banded' tires ?
I don’t believe any modern sport-oriented motorcycle tires are steel belted. None that I've tried anyway. All have been some flavor of fiber other than steel. Think how heavy they would be if they were steel.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I don’t believe any modern sport-oriented motorcycle tires are steel belted. None that I've tried anyway. All have been some flavor of fiber other than steel. Think how heavy they would be if they were steel.
I've cut apart some of my old tires and some do use steel belts. I think all the Bridgestones I've cut up do. But my memory isn't too good. It might have been the Pirellis. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts