Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you follow the Owner’s Manual when it comes to recommendations for tire pressure or do you add a few extra pounds? If so, how much? I know some of you add pounds for track days but what do you do for daily street riding? I checked my tire pressures this morning (cold) and they were both about 10 pounds over the factory recommendations. My Ducati is a “single seater” with no provision to carry any luggage so I guess the only weight variable is my big butt. :eek: I’ve always run about 5 pounds over. Just wondering what the general consensus was.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I usually run my tire pressures at the recommended level on the street. If they give a high and a low (with and without passenger) I usually go with the higher to extend the mileage. Well, at least that's what I've heard... At the track you are going to want to run your tire pressures a bit "lower" than the street. This allows the tire to deform a tiny bit more to the track and also generate more heat which, with racier spec tires, is what you would want.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I depends on the tire and riding... I have a 998 and I just purchased a new Metzeler Rennsport tires... Heres what I have come up with so far... I am too looking for the sweet spot of tire pressures! what do you guys think of the following?

street/canyons

Solo
----------
Front 32psi
Rear 35psi

2Up
----------
Front 32psi
Rear 38psi

Generally speaking for track days reduce by 2-3psi? Also all of this will depend on the tire manufacture... Definitely follow their recommendations...

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gpd123 said:
I usually run my tire pressures at the recommended level on the street. If they give a high and a low (with and without passenger) I usually go with the higher to extend the mileage. Well, at least that's what I've heard... At the track you are going to want to run your tire pressures a bit "lower" than the street. This allows the tire to deform a tiny bit more to the track and also generate more heat which, with racier spec tires, is what you would want.
Lower. Thanks. That makes sense. They would get warmer and stick better. On the street (haven't been on the track) I usually run my tires a few pounds over factory recommendations but I thought 10 pounds was a little much.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Liability wise the dealer will always set your tire temps to specs. I had a bike serviced and in the warmer months I ride 33-34 rear 32-33 ft. I had the service done and noticed a cap missing on my tire ,so I asked what temps did you guys set them at and he said 40 if I remember right??? I was'nt very happy with that for one reason being I could have been caught off guard coming into a corner and been in trouble not knowing that my tires were hard as a rock.

I asked the service manager to make sure you tell a customer what your changing , especially tire pressures because those two tires are your lifeline so to speak.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I run at the low end of recommended pressures, and go even lower in cold weather, another 2-3 psi. I run higher pressure on hot days or if I plan to do any 2-up or highway riding.

Tom

·
Registered
995 Posts
typically i run 32psi front and 34psi rear, on track days i run 30psi at both ends, the reason for lower pressures on the track is mainly because you generate more heat, the more heat the more the air in the tyre expands, so if you were running street pressures when hot they would effectively be over inflated, which causes them to run hotter still contributing to accelerated wear and poor grip. they tend to get greasy when really overheated and abused. more consistent pressures equal more consistant performance from the tyre which equals more consistant lap times from the rider.( unless the rider is me, cos i'm hopeless)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
On the street, I like it anywhere between 34 and 36 for either end. I start off with 36, so that I don't have to keep loading all the time :D

Track -- 32 each end on SuperCorsas.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I think the sidewall of my Pirelli Diablos state 41 psi when cold. I typically run my ST2 at 36 front/38 rear, whether I'm running two-up or not. On my 748, I usually run 34 front and 36 rear. Both bikes spend about 80-90% of their lives on twisty mountain roads, though......I also weigh about 250 lbs, though.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
I think the sidewall of my Pirelli Diablos state 41 psi when cold.
I think what you looked at was the max recommended pressure at the specified weight, meaning that at (?) 160 lbs load the pressure the tyre works best is (?) 41.

I have often found that different brands use different pressures. the std Mich's are close to bood pressure, I had hear Metzlers much higher, Dunlops about 36/38 and the bridgestones 33/35. It's all subjective in most case, the average person couldn't feel any difference. I have one friend on a ZZR who always complained his bike was a pig to turn.. we finally clicked and got him to chect the front tyre... 16 lbs.!! When was it last checked?? Dunno had the bike 8 months ...

I generally run about 32/34 for street unless it's a really hot day... ambient 36 celcius+ . I don't tend to so track, I don't like scratches and fear keeps me away. If I feel like a play day.. toottle about.. I might run 30 in the back, just to hlp the front wheel up a little. I use Bridgestones 014 front 020 rear... They give me about 16 000 kms (10 000 miles), but going back to mitchies next time.

Mal

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
I think the sidewall of my Pirelli Diablos state 41 psi when cold. I typically run my ST2 at 36 front/38 rear, whether I'm running two-up or not. On my 748, I usually run 34 front and 36 rear. Both bikes spend about 80-90% of their lives on twisty mountain roads, though......I also weigh about 250 lbs, though.
I run my ST2 and SS at 32/34 normally, 30/31 in cold weather (to help them warm up more).

Tom

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
mals900ss said:
I think what you looked at was the max recommended pressure at the specified weight, meaning that at (?) 160 lbs load the pressure the tyre works best is (?) 41.
Yeah, that's the maximum recommended weight when cold that is molded into the sidewall.

st2lemans said:
I run my ST2 and SS at 32/34 normally, 30/31 in cold weather (to help them warm up more).
I like running mine a little higher because I'm about 260-265 pounds with gear on. And with the wife on the back....it's considerably more (easily 400+ pounds). On cold days, I just take it a little easier and give the tires a bit longer to warm up....It takes 17 miles to get to the good twisties, so the tires are pretty well warmed up by the time I get there.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
It takes 17 miles to get to the good twisties, so the tires are pretty well warmed up by the time I get there.
It takes me about 1/4 mile to get to the good twisties, 0 distance to the so-so twisties.

Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
WOW...I really run high pressure on my ST3 when touring....usually 38 front 42 rear...but that is a full loaded bike and I seem to get good mileage out of my tires. And decent handling. The bike is always fully loaded. On my AR/MO run about a month ago...on Push Mountain Road and 123 the D220 rear was getting gummed up just like a track tire. The Front which was a Strada...not nearly as much.

·
Registered
319 Posts
mals900ss said:
I use Bridgestones 014 front 020 rear... They give me about 16 000 kms (10 000 miles), but going back to mitchies next time.

Mal
How the hell do you do that? I use 32 - 36 psi with the same tires and after 5000 km's the rear is worn out. And I dont do burn outs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't follow the owner's manual.

I am using Michelin Pilot Power Race MS 120/70/17 front, 180/55/17 rear. TP at the track 30/23 F/R.

I got those pressures from the Michelin rep who was at the track (he actually suggested 22 at the rear!). I thought he was crazy (because at the time I had 30 in the rear...prior to going on the track for the first time). Against my judgement, I reduced pressure to 23 and it was spot on.

IMHO, you have to be very careful about recommending tire pressures to anyone...especially if you run a different brand of tire, or the same brand but different type tire, or different bike, etc. Too many variables, too much potential liability. At a recent track day, I heard a novice racer recommend tire pressures to a non-racer track day participant without checking what type of bike they were riding, what tires they were using, etc. And the track day participant was taking what he said as gospel. After they were done talking, I pulled the participant off to the side and told him to speak with the tire vendor at the track which carried his brand to get their recommendation about pressures he should be running.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Last year at DRE the question came up, and the Michelin guy said (refering to the PP 2CTs we were using, and that I have on my ST2 and SS) to use 2.2/2.4 bar (32/35 psi), street or track. I run a little lower in cooler weather.

Back when I was using AM22/23 on my LeMans, I ran 32/29 on the street.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts