Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm going to a trackday at COTA in July and I'll be running Dunlop Sportmax Q3s on my 999. Any suggestions on tire pressures?
I have the Q3s on my 996. I ran COTA last Sept in L2b. After jacking with the pressure a little over the day, 29 ft and 28 rear seemed to work well. Its the same pressure I ran at TWS the other weekend with good results.

I'll also be there July 9th running L2b again. When are you going and level?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Q3s on my 996. I ran COTA last Sept in L2b. After jacking with the pressure a little over the day, 29 ft and 28 rear seemed to work well. Its the same pressure I ran at TWS the other weekend with good results.

I'll also be there July 9th running L2b again. When are you going and level?
Hey Rttoy: Thanks for the pressure recommendations. I'll give them a try.

I'll be there July 10th, L2A.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Rttoy: Thanks for the pressure recommendations. I'll give them a try.

I'll be there July 10th, L2A.
Nice.

If you haven't run cota, it's one hell of a track. It will spoil you for any other track in the area.......or us. Hehe. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yep, nice track. Definitely not an easy track. Most difficult for me by a good margin for the Texas tracks.

It will be a hot July weekend. I would run 28/27 in the morning and maybe go down some throughout the day... as a recommendation. If I were going I would start on 27/26, for me. 29/28, 30/29, 29/29 should be fine as well in L2, or L3 depending on other tires and setups.

It's nice to see more people on the forum running COTA. I won't be back out until next year. After my last semester (spring) I should be back at a track about once a month. It just depends on where I move to for work.

Pooling for a garage is by far the best way to do it there, and drop the bike off the night before.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yep, nice track. Definitely not an easy track. Most difficult for me by a good margin for the Texas tracks.
Its a very demanding track. It doesn't look like much till you line up on pit road and stare at turn 1 :surprise: It took me half the day just to calm down and just ride it. By the end of the day, I was "comfortable", but completely exhausted. I expect the same this time :grin2:

Oh and rv for me. Pull the bike out, get tech'ed in and dive into the trailer.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yep, and it is so bloody smooth and seamless. No stress at all regarding track condition.

For me it is turns 6/7/8/9 If your setup off of 6 into 7 is of, you have ruined the set. I nailed them in my first sessions, then in 3 & 4 I picked up the pace and a lot changed. After 5 I really got moving.

And 20 got me around the 5th session. You can come into 19 at massive speeds and there is quality run-off there, so you molest that corner and get up to a good speed on that small strait before 20. I had a lot of trouble with 20.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a huge problem with turns 3-6. I'm color blind and I literally can't see the track right there. During the morning I made sure I was behind someone, then later in the day, I started to pick up markers and could kind of run on my own. It sucks being colorblind. :(

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Don't know that track, but I ran 29/28 with no problems in Q2s on my 999 at NYST earlier this month.

I look forward to replacing them with the Q3s when that happens.

Ron

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I have a huge problem with turns 3-6. I'm color blind and I literally can't see the track right there. During the morning I made sure I was behind someone, then later in the day, I started to pick up markers and could kind of run on my own. It sucks being colorblind. :(
Then that is rough in those turns.

Even with color, once you get up to speed they are not as easy as they look. Basically from turn 2 to 9 you can't make a mistake anywhere or else your will have to slow down and putt through a turn because you did or were about to run off. I about ate it on turn 5 because I came in on 3 too hot and managed from there util I scraped a peg. (I know, bad position)

Being aware of it, COTA might be the worst track in Texas for being color blind. (I haven't bothered with Eagles Canyon yet) I can see a big problem on 17 & 18 because I run those based entirely on the candy stripes. That/those is an odd turn. You can run it 100+ but it does not have the symmetric feel that the Sweeper has down in Houston has. You can run that turn at crazy speeds anywhere you like. You don't even have to brake coming off that strait at 130 or so. I need to get back down there. I love Houston. School school school. Then I am free.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Then that is rough in those turns.

Being aware of it, COTA might be the worst track in Texas for being color blind..
To me it is. All the other tracks you have grass, candy stipe, asphalt with snakes. Easy to distinguish everything.......well except the red "x" on the track as the markers for 'the line'. After I brought it to ridesmarts's attention they changed to orange tape. Much better.

Cota, with all the runoff, you have neutral gravel, grey runoff, red/off white candy stripe, gray track. Almost impossible to make out the track when color blind. I cope. Like with everything dealing with color, I just have to train my brain what's going on. It takes time.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I think that it is really cool, not the right word, that you are going out with such a handicap. Out to any track and having a great time. It seems like having a lead bike would be easiest route for you, not a tech, that would be dull, but a fellow rider that you can talk w/ between sessions. The discussions between sessions would be made easier given that I or others will have the same or similar bike. Then braking, what gear, etc. are a standard not a comparison to I-4s or other bikes.

I am not saying that you need help, you may not want it and enjoy riding on your own.

We Texans from this forum need to get together for track days. There isn't much reason not to. We all run the same tracks and know when we are going. Once I am out of school and back at the track I'll start arranging things, if someone does not want to in the meantime.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's something I have dealt with all my life. My sight gets worse over the years, but my "brain training" is a little better (if that makes since). Everyone blows off the round Robbin, but I use it to get my bearings straight. I utilize the instructors at RideSmart, That's what I pay for (other than the track fun), but there is no instruction for not being able to see correctly. I'm just a little timid and slower till I get my markers down. I have TWS down to a science, but I have been there 6+ times. MSRH gets easier every time too. It's just practice, but it takes me longer to do it right.

I have a few guys that are members of MSRH that can get us private track days, but they are during the week and limited to about 8 people. Not a bad thing, you get the track basically all to yourself for a day. We should post track day stuff so we can get together. You never know when one of us need something. It's good to have friends at the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts