Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new Pilot Power ct's on my ducati 800ss about a month ago and i only really ran them for about 500 miles. I went away on vacation and the minuet i got home i jumped on it and went for a ride. when i got home i went to clean it and i saw a very small brad like nail sticking out of the tread. So i pulled it out hoping it didnt go though the tire... well it did and it started to leak air. So i ordered another rear tire even though this is a really small hole I dont ride it that much so i didnt wanna have to worry about it going flat.

So i now have a almost new pilot power ct 180/55/17 sitting there that can be patched. do you think this is something someone would buy? I really dont wanna throw it away if someone out there doesnt mind riding on a patched tire.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Pilot nail...

PM-Sent

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'd plug it and keep riding.....UNLESS its a track bike. For normal street riding, I don't push very hard. I don't have a problem plugging a tiny nail hole....but that's me. I'm SURE others will feel differently.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Don't forget about Murphy. As soon as you sell it, you'll need it.

If the hole is near the center of the tire, I'd patch it. If it's near the edge I'd trash it. There's no point in passing on a questionable tire to someone else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ordered another tire already im putting it on tonight. its a really small hole i had to inflate the tire just to find the hole haha

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I run on patched tires all the time on the street without any worries. The rate my wife and I go through tires, I can't afford to throw away a tire every time it gets a nail. I once patched a tire twice, and when the third nail got it, it was time to be thrown away anyway. For some reason, I get more nails in the spring time than any other time of the year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Desmo_Demon ill keep that in mind next time.... so i guess if anyone wants to buy it let me know i didnt realize so many people ran on patched tires.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
i guess if anyone wants to buy it let me know i didnt realize so many people ran on patched tires.
If you don't sell it in the next week or so, PM me. I'm a bit strapped for cash after buying three sets of Diablos, timing belts for two ST2 bikes and the 748, a full set of opening rockers for the 748, and chain and sprockets for an ST2. :(

·
Registered
692 Posts
Tire...

Can you please tell where the nail entered? Center or edge of tire?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
i think was better trying to repair the tyre, the tyre dealer can vulcanize (i don't know if it's the right word in english) the tyre and it is as new ; )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts