Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Monster S2R and I just noticed the front tire (Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport) is on backwards and has been ridden that way for a couple thousand miles. I plan on having it switched so it is facing the right direction tomorrow. I know that on cars having the tire facing the wrong direction can cause delamination. Could switching it cause problems with delamination? Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Hmmm, perhaps you should ride the next 1,000 miles with the front wheel in the air?

As the link above says, it really depends on how much rain you are going to ride in going forward and how hard the tire was abused on the brakes before now. Gentle hwy miles, no problem, imho

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks that’s helpful.

Hmmm, perhaps you should ride the next 1,000 miles with the front wheel in the air?

As the link above says, it really depends on how much rain you are going to ride in going forward and how hard the tire was abused on the brakes before now. Gentle hwy miles, no problem, imho
Im gonna take a good look at it and see if there is a hint of any kind of bulge. When it is off I’ll inspect the inside too. I think it’s alright since it rides smooth.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I think it will be fine if you don’t see anything or feel anything wrong. I’ve used rears on the fronts of bikes before.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
With the direction arrow pointing the opposite way of course..

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd take the opportunity to put on new rubber. Sure, it might be fine. Hate to find out it's not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd take the opportunity to put on new rubber. Sure, it might be fine. Hate to find out it's not.
Yeah, I really don't want to find out on the freeway. Everything looks alright so far, but I'll get a new set in the next week or two. Now I just need to decide which ones to get.... I am looking at reviews of the Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport, Pirelli Diablo Rosso III, and Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. When I look at the reviews of each one people say it is the best of the three. They are all better than each other...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Jesus, the tire is fine. Racers regularly reverse their tires to get more life out them.

Yes, I’d turn it around and then wear it out. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
39 Posts
Running a tire backwards will not cause any kind of damage. The biggest effect it will have will be when caught in the rain. The water may not be dissipated as effectively.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Direction of tread is only there for rain purposes. If the edges on the tread is still a nice hard angle, flipping the tire back to normally will still tread water just fine. If you're not riding in the wet, tread makes no real difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I am learning a lot. I'll keep the tires and have the front put on correctly so it can dissipate water better when the rain starts.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Another vote for continuing to use the tire. I've flipped tires at a track that is predominantly one direction. Run a day, flip the tire, run the next day. This is common practice. The Michelin tire service at the track days will flip them for you. If anyone was going to have evidence of a problem, or incentive to not run a tire backwards, it would be the tire company.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another vote for continuing to use the tire. I've flipped tires at a track that is predominantly one direction. Run a day, flip the tire, run the next day. This is common practice. The Michelin tire service at the track days will flip them for you. If anyone was going to have evidence of a problem, or incentive to not run a tire backwards, it would be the tire company.
Ok, I am no longer worried. If the manufacturer is flipping them there won't be any issues. If there was even a chance that it could cause issues they would refuse to do it because of the liability.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts

For that track they need to make a tire with a med-hard left side and the right side out of silly putty. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts