Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always replaced both front and rear together and feel that rubber is cheap compared to fairings and flesh, so don't push it and replace early vs late. I think I'm riding a little heavier on the throttle now as the rear seems to be going before the front on this set.

Since I'm going to slab it to Seattle and meet up with my son, I'm trying to guess if I have 1000 miles left in the rear. I'd like to burn this set off on the freeway and just ship new tires ahead to Seattle. But I'm not certain about identifying the wear indicators on the rear.

Would you guys put another 1,200 miles on these?

Is that little circle in the middle of the rear tire a wear indicator?

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
385 Posts
in the top photo you have an arrow pointing at the wear bar ..... you will find similar on the rear .... I'm safety first , so not sure I would try 1200 miles on it , since I'm looking at a photo it's really hard to say .... I'll go out and check mine to make sure ... .... yes wear bars are same as on the front of the PR4's
Craig

·
Super Moderator
5,082 Posts
Front should make it. Rear...well...that looks like it's toast. You may get 1,200...but I hope it doesn't rain!

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
IMVHO, losing the center sipe won't cause issues in the rain. I had plenty of tires that had no sipes that crossed the center, yet never had a problem in the wet, very wet, or worse. M/C tires just don't hydroplane like car tires do. I tried testing that theory many times and haven't been proven wrong, yet.

That said, I am a bit further along with my rear PR4 and would say to not chance it with a trip of that length. For me, I'd take that rear off and save it for local riding when the next gets worn.

BTW, last September, the best delivered prices that I found for PR4s were at americanmototire.com and, afterward, the local CycleGear store.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
1mm is the minimum limit and that is what is normally left once you have reached bars. I think you start with around 5mm so you could calculate like so, 3mm left and you have 1/2 the tyre wear to go,2mm left and you have a 1/4. If you know how many miles per tyre you should get an idea although some say they wear quicker towards the end of their life but I have never seen that.
If you are slabbing it, you may be ok but as Tony says replace before you go and use it up later.

You guys are lucky that your tyres are so cheap. Ours are about twice the price, $540 USD a set for PR4's. Makes me use the tyre up but ride accordingly when its getting low.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I say replace the rear, and toss it. Unless you really enjoy spooning tires, I'd toss it and don't look back. Or toss it to a stunt rider.

FWIW, I've noticed a few different brands/models, where the "multi compound" seems to totally vanish towards EOL, then you're left with just a softer rubber. Then the tire wears very quickly after that. Even if you're trying to be nice to it. It just seems to evaporate.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've always replaced both front and rear together and feel that rubber is cheap compared to fairings and flesh, so don't push it and replace early vs late.
You answered your own question. Riding around town is one thing, having a tire fail at 80mph in the middle of Nowheresville, or, worse, 80mph in the middle of rush hour traffic going through Metroville is something else.

If you truck straight up I-5, there is some decent road; if you peel off on the road less traveled, there is some spectacular road.... don't limit yourself because you are trying to squeeze an extra few miles out of your rubber. If you were a spendthrift, you wouldn't have bought a Ducati in the first place.

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You answered your own question. Riding around town is one thing, having a tire fail at 80mph in the middle of Nowheresville, or, worse, 80mph in the middle of rush hour traffic going through Metroville is something else.

If you truck straight up I-5, there is some decent road; if you peel off on the road less traveled, there is some spectacular road.... don't limit yourself because you are trying to squeeze an extra few miles out of your rubber. If you were a spendthrift, you wouldn't have bought a Ducati in the first place.
Yeh, or worse, at a hundred. Or more. Cause it's a very long flat freeway That's painfully boring. There's a lot of good commentary here. If I take it off, I'll toss it as I can't see myself spooning tires on and off.
I'm taking the 5 all the way up just to make time. I effen hate that ride. It is boring as hell and it's all I can do to keep the bike south of a hundred on rides like that. I'm trying to burn straight up to Seattle in order to save more days to ride with my son. We'll ride to Boise and make a big counter clockwise loop through Glacier National Park - Lewiston Id - Anatone WA- Wallowa lake OR. Then split up and I'll turn south again.

Normally I'd just change them both out here and go but I've suffered a bit at the bank this year and am trying to stretch my dollars farther.

I think I'll replace the rear here and ship a front to Seattle ahead of me. My son has a full shop at his disposal so we can drink beer, tell lies and put the front tire on there.

And TONY thanks for the tip on where to buy. Last couple times I've used Bike Bandit (free shipping) but I'll look around and check out your source.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm taking the 5 all the way up just to make time. I effen hate that ride.
Well, the times I drove it, I was glad I was rolling on 5 and not 95 or somewhere else out east... but you're right, especially through the valley.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yeh, or worse, at a hundred. Or more. Cause it's a very long flat freeway That's painfully boring. There's a lot of good commentary here. If I take it off, I'll toss it as I can't see myself spooning tires on and off.
That's what I end up doing, removing the front tire to use later on but can never be bothered changing tires for partial worn ones. Always buy as a set and its nicer to have the feel of two new tires rather than a new rear with half worn front.

I need two sets, one for each bike. $1200 :surprise:

I also find it difficult to judge wear on a tire that has no tread up the center of the tire so no wear bars other than half way around the sides.

The other frustrating parts about tires in NZ is the coarse chip we use on the roads. Expected mileage from a touring tire on a vee twin here is 6000 miles and not hard miles either!

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
That's what I end up doing, removing the front tire to use later on but can never be bothered changing tires for partial worn ones. Always buy as a set and its nicer to have the feel of two new tires rather than a new rear with half worn front.

I need two sets, one for each bike. $1200 :surprise:

I also find it difficult to judge wear on a tire that has no tread up the center of the tire so no wear bars other than half way around the sides.

The other frustrating parts about tires in NZ is the coarse chip we use on the roads. Expected mileage from a touring tire on a vee twin here is 6000 miles and not hard miles either!
Yikes. I gave up on performance tires for cars when they started costing that much. It just isn't worth it when driving straight most of the time.

For approximately a $400 savings, or a free third set of tires, it might be a good idea to investigate some alternate source and shipping method to NZ? I'd offer up if I had a clue. I know it can be difficult to wait for weeks for something to come on a boat, esp being nervous about that much money, but . . .

Have a good one.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
385 Posts
got PR4's late last year .... took wheels only to shop exactly $500.00 installed and balanced .... for my Jeep Gr. Cherokee 4 michelins were $1100.00 out the door and I got a $70.00 rebate in the mail a few weeks later .... as far as tire life on the ST3 I think 10000 kms is pretty good around here ... guess they must use coarse chip here too ...
Craig

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yikes. I gave up on performance tires for cars when they started costing that much. It just isn't worth it when driving straight most of the time.

Have a good one.
That's part of the cost of ownership on cars that will go a buck fifty ++. No one will put a tire on it that's not rated for 160+ mph.
My wonderfully comfy 10 year old Benz is a fantastic car.... until I buy tires. $1000 bucks a pop for 4 Michelins. But again, if I was worried about maintenance cost I wouldn't have bought that car.

The problem is once you have a bike and car that puts a HUGE grin on your face every time you drive it. . . it's just damn hard to go back to soul-less vehicles.

The car is 10 years old and drives, sounds, handles like it just came off the lot (100,000 miles this week). The Duc is 15 years old and is the same. Spanky new performance at 27,000 miles. Both were dirt cheap to buy used so I can't complain.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Fact; when you get to the wear marks (and in your pics you're quite a ways from being AT the wear bar) you have 1000miles left, MINIMUM. I tested that theory many times and it's OK. 1000mi of normal riding, no track, or super aggressive canyon carving and no dirt. Lower psi a couple max so as not to wear the center faster and expose the cord. Btw, there's 2 layers of cord. The first takes approx 100-150 miles to wear off, they you have a layer of rubber and another layer of cord under that. So when you see cord, you got another 100-200 miles before you go flat. And it's not dangerous, the flat comes on really slow and you can limp along at 10-15 mph without damaging your rim. Ask me how I know....

Last year at WCM I was at the wear bar and I made it home (800mi) and put another 500 miles on it, zero issues. Everyone and their moma was telling me the tire will not make it and I was crazy, but I lived. Cord never showed.

For the front I wouldn't go by wear marks, if ridden properly the sides will be worn OFF and the center there's plenty left. The front tire is what you never, NEVER want to fail. Replace whenever you replace the rear, just to be safe.

In short, you'll be fine. Do carry a AAA card though, 100mi of towing is plenty. Flats aren't the only thing to worry about on a long distance trip.

Part of the trip is the adventure! Ride safe buddy!

FYI, I would ride half way, red bluff and re-evaluate. If you need a tire, Red Bluff Yamaha Red Bluff, CA (530) 527-1466 they have tires on-hand and have no issues working on Ducs.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
That's part of the cost of ownership on cars that will go a buck fifty ++. No one will put a tire on it that's not rated for 160+ mph.
My wonderfully comfy 10 year old Benz is a fantastic car.... until I buy tires. $1000 bucks a pop for 4 Michelins. But again, if I was worried about maintenance cost I wouldn't have bought that car.

The problem is once you have a bike and car that puts a HUGE grin on your face every time you drive it. . . it's just damn hard to go back to soul-less vehicles.

The car is 10 years old and drives, sounds, handles like it just came off the lot (100,000 miles this week). The Duc is 15 years old and is the same. Spanky new performance at 27,000 miles. Both were dirt cheap to buy used so I can't complain.
Nah. I'd never put on an under-rated tire. That's why we traded out for something slower when it was time. Fast cars are not longer fun when fast bikes are a lot less money.

I know someone that just ditched a CTS-V because it was coming time for a tire swap. Something like $2,400 from some 200 treadwear or less gumballs? Although, the problem is that they got talked into a new CTS-V. ?? Along with the massive HP/TQ bump, the wheels and tires appear more aggressive to match. Ummm, nope. I am curious to see what happens in two years when those staggered stickies are toast.

I was all happy when perf tires were about $800 out the door and lasted 30k or so. The last few sets that we had were trending much higher in cost and were not lasting long. With speeds set way too low, with aggressive patrolling, and with crowded roads spoiling all the good corners, it just wasn't worth it anymore.

Besides, going fast in corners, and straights, is just more fun on the ST. =P

Have a good one.

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fact; when you get to the wear marks (and in your pics you're quite a ways from being AT the wear bar) you have 1000miles left, MINIMUM. I tested that theory many times and it's OK. 1000mi of normal riding, no track, or super aggressive canyon carving and no dirt. Lower psi a couple max so as not to wear the center faster and expose the cord. Btw, there's 2 layers of cord. The first takes approx 100-150 miles to wear off, they you have a layer of rubber and another layer of cord under that. So when you see cord, you got another 100-200 miles before you go flat. And it's not dangerous, the flat comes on really slow and you can limp along at 10-15 mph without damaging your rim. Ask me how I know....

Last year at WCM I was at the wear bar and I made it home (800mi) and put another 500 miles on it, zero issues. Everyone and their moma was telling me the tire will not make it and I was crazy, but I lived. Cord never showed.

For the front I wouldn't go by wear marks, if ridden properly the sides will be worn OFF and the center there's plenty left. The front tire is what you never, NEVER want to fail. Replace whenever you replace the rear, just to be safe.

In short, you'll be fine. Do carry a AAA card though, 100mi of towing is plenty. Flats aren't the only thing to worry about on a long distance trip.

Part of the trip is the adventure! Ride safe buddy!

FYI, I would ride half way, red bluff and re-evaluate. If you need a tire, Red Bluff Yamaha Red Bluff, CA (530) 527-1466 they have tires on-hand and have no issues working on Ducs.
You know way too much about exact end of tire life performance! Sounds like you may have needed the AAA card once. Hopefully you didn't need your insurance card also!

Thanks for the awful truth on 'end of life' for tires. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hey, you're welcome. From 2012 to 2014 I rode an avg of 25k miles and I'm frugal, so yes I pushed the limits as much as possible. Crazy thing was I only saw cord once!~~and that was last month.

AAA card used plenty of times, but mostly for gas and the Aprilia stator that keeps dying.

On a separate note, from your second pic, you're really tearing up that rear tire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but towards the side of the tire, there is "feathering" and I believe that's an indication that your rebound is off, pressure too low?!?. It's ok to have a little, but I think your's is too much. Good job with keeping her pinned! ;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
For approximately a $400 savings, or a free third set of tires, it might be a good idea to investigate some alternate source and shipping method to NZ? I'd offer up if I had a clue. I know it can be difficult to wait for weeks for something to come on a boat, esp being nervous about that much money, but . . .

Have a good one.
I have purchased in the states from Motorcycle superstore and had them shipped for free to a contact in Kansas. Then waited for a container load of test coil for our machines we manufacture to come down and used that for a piggy back free ride and we could have another one coming down soon. It was good when the USD was at 85 cents to the NZD.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
1mm is the minimum limit and that is what is normally left once you have reached bars. I think you start with around 5mm so you could calculate like so, 3mm left and you have 1/2 the tyre wear to go,2mm left and you have a 1/4. If you know how many miles per tyre you should get an idea although some say they wear quicker towards the end of their life but I have never seen that.
If you are slabbing it, you may be ok but as Tony says replace before you go and use it up later.

You guys are lucky that your tyres are so cheap. Ours are about twice the price, $540 USD a set for PR4's. Makes me use the tyre up but ride accordingly when its getting low.
Nick, you need to check out Moto Mummy and Rocky Mountain ATV, you will buy tyres for $300 a set roughly, I do.

Craig

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Nick, you need to check out Moto Mummy and Rocky Mountain ATV, you will buy tyres for $300 a set roughly, I do.

Craig
$30 international shipping seems cheap for a set of tires from Motomummy. By the time you convert the USD to NZD you end up at $500 a set delivered for the cheaper ones.
RMATV are cheaper but say they do not ship tires internationally??

1 - 20 of 68 Posts