Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, and a *quick* forum search didn't turn up clear results, so I just thought to ask...

I'm wondering about what I should expect from my tires in terms of life expectancy/miles. I realize a lot of factors like style of riding can impact this, but perhaps with a little context, the more knowledgeable and experienced of you can provide your insight?

I'm on a '13 Monster 796 with about 16.3K miles and so far (Michelin Pilot Power) have gone through three sets of tires (first set being Pirelli's). This averages out to about 5400 miles per set. Does this "sound" normal?

I'm not a commuter, and do nearly all my riding on twisty country roads. I'm by no means crazy or aggressive, but I would think I'm still on the more spirited riding side of the spectrum as opposed to cruising easily. That said, would about 5400 miles on a set of tires register as normal in your eyes?

I also ask, because at the moment, I have only about 4400 miles on my current Pilot Powers, and have had three instances in the last two days where I've felt the bike lose traction while leaned over a bit on a curve. nothing crazy, but enough to make me need a change of pants. Got me wondering about the tire life, because visibly speaking, the tires don't look that worn at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd kill for more than 3000 miles on a rear tire.
Clearly you ride a lot harder than I do!

I'm still new - only been on a bike about 3 years. I know I'm not quick and aggressive, but I don't think I'm at a snails pace either. Considering it's all highway speed, country road riding, I'm wondering if I'm getting out a tire what you'd expect. Trying to validate when to change tires, especially when tread depth seems OK, but grip levels are maybe weakening...I guess that's my point or what I'm really trying to get at. Feeling that weird slip when you're leaned over a bit...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That sounds exactly normal, if you're using sport tires. That's also exactly why I usually run sport-touring tires.
They are plenty sticky enough for any riding short of actual racing, and they last about twice as long.

PhilB

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the same bike! Got exactly 5000mi out of my Pirelli rear. I continued on with the Rosso II's, personally.

There was actually pretty good tread left on the front, but it was 3-years old and I usually replace my MX tires as a set.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds exactly normal, if you're using sport tires. That's also exactly why I usually run sport-touring tires.
They are plenty sticky enough for any riding short of actual racing, and they last about twice as long.

PhilB
I have the same bike! Got exactly 5000mi out of my Pirelli rear. I continued on with the Rosso II's, personally.

There was actually pretty good tread left on the front, but it was 3-years old and I usually replace my MX tires as a set.
Thanks for the responses. Good peace of mind.

I just hadn't experienced this yet (tires looking OK visibly, but experienced slipping in corners). Freaked me out a bit. Timing isn't too bad to get this taken care of. Approaching May and I can start the season in full swing with a fresh set of tires. I see no reason to change from the Michelin's at this point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts