Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"New" tires were put on my bike before I purchased (1 month ago) and these tires have 1500 miles on them. The are Michelin Pilot Sport (180/55 & 120/70). They are "new" tires, but have a manufactured date of 01 (January) 03 (Year).

I don't track bike, am a fairly new rider and don't ride every day. Do you think I should replace tires soon? How many more miles should I use these tires?

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Do you think I should replace tires soon? How many more miles should I use these tires?
If you feel uneasy about the age of the tires, replace them. If you feel comfortable but they seems to start sliding on you more or prematurely than you may or may not expect, replace them.

Personally, I'll run all sorts of older tires and not have a concern with it. My wife burned off two or three tires that we got from a buddy that had '00-'03 manufacture dates, and I currently have an '02 front tire on my ST2, logged about 700 miles on it, and don't have any worries with the tire.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
How does the tire look? If the tire doesn't have any dry rot or doesn't seem to slide on you as mentioned above, then why worry about it?

Especially if you don't track the bike or ride hard.

Just watch your tire pressures and continue to watch the condition of the tires and enjoy the heck outta that bike!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So Far

Thanks guys. So far they haven't given me any troubles whatsoever. The ONLY reason I was "concerned" is that the Ducati Dealer Owner notice they were 6yrs old and recommended replacing them. Being a novice, I became concerned, but decided to reach out to you guys for advice. I appreciate the input and will continue on these tires. They look new and I don't seen ANY signs of abnormal wear or deterioration.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I rode with crappy hard as a rock metzelers on mine. The unease i got while riding and confidence level of questionable tires is enough to want to replace them.

In short, how YOU feel on your bike affects how you ride, despite the condition of the tire.

Check for hardening of the compound, signs of cracks anywhere in the tread where it would flex, etc. But 6 year old tires on a sportbike, eh, if you're questioning, just change'em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts