Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So i'm not exactly sure what to do. I dont get the chance to ride too often due to my extremely crazy work schedule lately, so I havent put nearly as much time on my hyper as I should. When I do get the chance, I normally go for short rides (1 hour or less). Yesterday I took the bike out and the tires barely warmed up, seemed like it was getting loose a little too easy. I have a non S with stock Dunlops. When the bike was new the tires definately seemed to warm up alot easier and were definitely more sticky especially in the twistiest. Is it possible that with all the sitting my bike has been doing, that the tires hardened up and dont like to stick as much any more? Someone mentioned that to me a while back but wasnt sure just how true it is. Or am I just trying to justify spending the money on a pair of Pilot Power 2CT's. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't think that could be the case. I let my track bike sit for months at a time over the winter and then ride on the same tires from the previous season if they are serviceable. I'd check your air pressures to make sure you didn't lose any air. I presently have to re-fill my rear tire every day because it has a slow leak. I'd do something about it, but I am only using the tire for another month and then the bike gets to burn through some trackday take-offs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I couldn't help myself, I saw a set of Pilot Power 2CT on sale for $259 shipped, so I snagged them! Do you guys think i will notice a big enough difference between them and the stock Bridgestone BT014?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well I couldn't help myself, I saw a set of Pilot Power 2CT on sale for $259 shipped, so I snagged them! Do you guys think i will notice a big enough difference between them and the stock Bridgestone BT014?
You'll probably notice a drastic difference. I did with the Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the 016's are heaps better than the 014.

whats your pressures at ? 32-34 from and maybe upto 36 rear if your a big fella. keep the pressures low to let them heat up quicker.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You'll probably notice a drastic difference. I did with the Pilot Powers.
I wouldn't say drastic. Maybe if you compare a 10 year old dunlop d206 that is dry rotted and squared off to a brand new set of PP's. But from one set of present dat SS tires to another isn't very noticeable. The new honda 1000RR is still using the bt15's, so it isn't as if the 14's are vintage or anything.

The most I've ever felt is a change in ride height and the appopriate change in agility and maybe a change in how confident the tire feels.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't say drastic. Maybe if you compare a 10 year old dunlop d206 that is dry rotted and squared off to a brand new set of PP's. But from one set of present dat SS tires to another isn't very noticeable. The new honda 1000RR is still using the bt15's, so it isn't as if the 14's are vintage or anything.

The most I've ever felt is a change in ride height and the appopriate change in agility and maybe a change in how confident the tire feels.
The confidence thing will go a long way with me, since I dont ride every day, there is always that few minutes of adjustment period, and the moment you leave my driveway, you are faced with tons of twistities, so having tires that dont warm up quickly isnt really ideal. Not to mention I am definitely on the heavier side (230lbs). I personally would rather replace my tire at 2500 mile intervals and have a nice sticky tire that inspired confidence around the curves. I live in a very rural section of NJ surrounded by horse farms so some of the roads tend to have a bit of gravel or some lose rock. When the BT's were new i felt much better on them, but now for some reason they seem to take twice as long to warm up. I took a 15 min drive the other day and the middle of the tire was just luke warm, and the sides were cool. :( Now I didnt check my tire pressure that day, but only 2 weeks ago i checked them and they were spot on.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The confidence thing will go a long way with me, since I dont ride every day, there is always that few minutes of adjustment period, and the moment you leave my driveway, you are faced with tons of twistities, so having tires that dont warm up quickly isnt really ideal. Not to mention I am definitely on the heavier side (230lbs). I personally would rather replace my tire at 2500 mile intervals and have a nice sticky tire that inspired confidence around the curves. I live in a very rural section of NJ surrounded by horse farms so some of the roads tend to have a bit of gravel or some lose rock. When the BT's were new i felt much better on them, but now for some reason they seem to take twice as long to warm up. I took a 15 min drive the other day and the middle of the tire was just luke warm, and the sides were cool. :( Now I didnt check my tire pressure that day, but only 2 weeks ago i checked them and they were spot on.
If you like the PP's, check into the pilot road 2's next time around. They are plenty sticky and perfect for the street. I will be that the reason that the BT014's felt like they took so long to warm up was more of a problem with wearing the profile off of the rear tire and creating handling problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts