Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

About me, a 36 year old guy that is not an aggressive rider. I don't lean the bike all the way over, no track days, and commute to work on my bike (45 miles round trip) once a week or so.

I am looking for some tires to replace the mismatched front Bridgestone BT-14 and Pirelli ???? on the rear of my 2002 900 Supersport. I was looking at the Bridgestone BT-016 but think I would like a tire that will last a little longer. I am looking at the BT-021, Metzeler Z6 Roadtec Interact, or Conti Road Attack, which are more "sport touring" tires. Any reason I shouldn't run a sport touring tire, rather than a sportbike tire given how I ride?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
For your use a sport touring tire would be fine, and they give quite a bit of grip. I have Pilot Roads on my Ducati STRs and they have no chicken strips. Compare prices, since any of the brands should work well for you.
Joe

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Getting the BT016s is a waste for your type of riding imo. I currently use the pilot road 2ct, however I'm growing pretty unhappy with those. I tried the BT021s on my dads bike a couple of times. It's a pretty good tire imo.
Personally my next sport touring tire will be the Pirelli Angel ST. I love Pirelli and I have faith in their ST tire aswell as their more track oriented tires. (you do have to like the angel/demon pattern on the tire though)

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
For your type of riding I would recommend the Pilot Road 2ct. I have obout 10k miles including 2 track days on them and still 1/2k worth of tread left. The 10k is about 85% slabbing it to work and the rest of it on local backroads on rides with friends.

ditto on what he said" any dual compound tire are good or should I say good as the price! Dunlap has 2CT tires but the best price I have found was SST http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com they have had the best deal on tires for me on and off the track! Hands Down.

Any Sport Touring tires are very good for your riding also, all tires need to warm up! and PSI is a must on any surface to get the best out of the tire you use.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
297 Posts
My 2 cents

I run Conti Road Attack tires on my 95 900SS CR and they do fine. Cost is not sky high, tread pattern is good and not lame looking, I'd say they are a good option. I also had them on my 01 Triumph Sprint ST and used to run the heck out of that thing, leaning over and speeds north of 130 out in the sticks. They always did well and held up. Oh, and I'm 37 and not a track day guy either, just a regular joe rider that likes to blast around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, it makes me feel much better about wanting to go to the sport touring category of tires. I would love to brag about how I can push the bike to its limits, but I am simply not there and won't be for a long time, if ever. I am more interested in having a fun time at 7/10ths.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great deal on Pirelli Diablos at Cycle Gear. About $200 for a set.
After that, I recommend the Pirelli Strada, a sport touring tire. Sport touring tires generally have better water control, they heat up quicker, and have a lot more rubber, so they last a long time. For commuting, they are the bomb.
Lots of good tires in that category lately.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Diablo stradas are a great tire. You can ride with these at a surprisingly brisk pace and still have good tire life. The Angel ST's will be even better. Another one to consider is the Bridgestone bt 021.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have pirelli diablo they grip well
most of my ridiing is to and from work dont have a track to do any track days

·
Registered
207 Posts
For your type of riding I would recommend the Pilot Road 2ct. I have obout 10k miles including 2 track days on them and still 1/2k worth of tread left. The 10k is about 85% slabbing it to work and the rest of it on local backroads on rides with friends.
+1 I just got the Pilot Road 2CTs and I am really happy with them so far. I only have about 800 miles on them. They preform great (grip beyond what I will ever need) and according to reports last a good long time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
+1 I just got the Pilot Road 2CTs and I am really happy with them so far. I only have about 800 miles on them. They preform great (grip beyond what I will ever need) and according to reports last a good long time.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
another Pilot Road 2 convert

Love the Pilot Road 2 ct,,,, I can get as wild as I ever have and still have control... but there is no squaring off so far...

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts