Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently punctured the center of my rear tire with a nail on my Sport 1000. Of course the tire was brand new and installed that morning... I had the tube replaced but I was wondering if I should have had a permanent patch installed on the inside of the tire as well. Is it common practice to install the patch to maintain the integrity of the tire?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I recently punctured the center of my rear tire with a nail on my Sport 1000. Of course the tire was brand new and installed that morning... I had the tube replaced but I was wondering if I should have had a permanent patch installed on the inside of the tire as well. Is it common practice to install the patch to maintain the integrity of the tire?
Never did so… if it is just punctured by a nail, it should be okay… cuts are problematic

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Have had several tires punctured then plugged with a mushroom plug from the inside. Afterwards rode thousands of miles of high speed touring problem free.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Theoretically it is better to put in a "mushroom plug," as Duckyboy calls it, to seal up the tire and keep moisture from getting into the cord of the tire.

Do virtually all tube type punctures work fine with just a tube replacement? Yes. But still, it's theoretically better to patch the tire as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I was concerned about tread separation at high speeds but it seems like that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had a cut in the rear-tire, about 1cm wide (in the middle of the running surface) and going deep inside, could see the belt layers. No flat tire though..
But better safe than sorry, had the tire replaced (was only 2500km old) including the innertube. Didn't want to take the risk.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since the Sport Classics use a tube, all you really need to do is replace (or even patch) the tube.

However, while doing so, you will want to inspect the inside of the tire to make sure that the puncture did not allow for any of the tire's chord to protrude on the inside due to the puncture ... which could compromise the integrity of the replacement (or repaired) tube. If you were super anal-retentive like me, you would probably place a patch inside the tire where the puncture was located just to make sure that never became an issue in the future. As far as moisture getting into the chords ... that really is a non-issue. Most likely your tire would be worn out long before that would ever realistically be a problem, and you are more likely to do more damage to your tire by reaming it out to fit a "tire plug" than by just leaving it alone in the first place.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Replace the Tire?

I picked up a piece of angle iron in my GT1000 OEM rear tire with only 3000 KM on it. It had a 2 cm gash so I replaced it and the the front to match the new rear BT-21. Best move I have made on that bike. Handles much better than with OEM tires

1 - 8 of 8 Posts