Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,122 Posts
You will love it. The only down side to changing your own tires is disposing of the old ones. I've found that most tire shops will dispose of your old ones for a $3 fee. Well worth it.

I just thought about this because this morning I had to haul off 13 old tires. They tend to collect water and attract mosquitoes if you let them lay around. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
You will love it. The only down side to changing your own tires is disposing of the old ones. I've found that most tire shops will dispose of your old ones for a $3 fee. Well worth it.

I just thought about this because this morning I had to haul off 13 old tires. They tend to collect water and attract mosquitoes if you let them lay around. :)
That's why I lite mine on fire and toss them into the neighbors yard.
>:)

·
18,122 Posts
You do know the EPA has drones and stuff that watches for people like you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So my Q3 tires and my tire changer arrived. However, I didn't get the 'Extra Hand' or any tire spoons and all the videos I've seen use these. Back to Amazon I guess. Here is the assembled unit. What do most people bolt this to? The floor? A bunch of 2x4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
18,122 Posts
I bolted my directly into the garage floor. If I ever need to move it it's just 4 bolts.

I don't see a need for spoons but I find these very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
992 Posts
Mine is bolted to my garage floor. However, I've read that some folks bolt theirs to a sheet of 3/4 ply. As they're standing on it when changing tires, the machine does not move. This allows them to move the machine around the garage as desired.

No need for spoons at all. Watch the NoMar video. It explains how to use the bar the machine comes with. I got the "yellow thingy" with mine which is just a "helping hand" to keep the bead in place on one side as you use the bar to push it on the rest of the way 'round.

I've only had need for the one yellow thingy. I can see it being easier with a couple of them. However, the NoMar makes it so much easier than the old 5 gal pail and some spoons method that I never bothered with ordering a second one......sean

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I bolted it to the garage floor. I used flush 'drop-in' Redhead anchors so if I decide to move it, there won't be anything sticking up from floor. I did the tires for Streetfighter. It took me a long time, but I was learning as I go. The video was a big help. It was trying to figure out exactly how the 'dogs' should fit that took me some time.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I do not have a balancer. I just ordered the Marc Parnes balancer (had to order two different kits to cover all four of my Ducatis.

I noticed that when I had front wheel off that it had no weights on it? Is that unusual?

·
Registered
252 Posts
blah, blah, blah

I use the POS Harbor Freight tire changer and the Marc Parnes wheel balancer. FWIW, you may notice your tires have a yellow, red or blue spot on the sidewall which marks the light (weight) point on the tire. Align the spot with the heavy point of the rim. You might think this is the valve stem...and that might be the case...or it might not be. The heavy spots (F/R) on my Marchesini rims, are near, but not at the valve stems. Using the Parnes static balancer, I marked the heavy spots on my rims (with valve stem caps screwed on) with a dab of blue paint on the inside. The light weight point of the tire goes next to marked heavy point of the rim. This will reduce the amount of weight that needs to be added when balancing. You might think I'm overdoing things, but a well balanced tire will have a longer tread life than an unbalanced, or poorly balanced tire. The faster the wheel turns, the more the tire/wheel will tend to oscillate along the chord between the light and heavy points of the tire. Add in a crappy suspension setup and now your tires can make very uneven contact with the pavement. Lots of cases of cupping or flat spots can be traced back to improper balancing. OK, I'm done blabbering. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought a used No-Mar Classic and a generic balance stand a couple of years ago for $200, done about 10 changes since. I was being charged $85/tire for a change over and balance, with the wheel off the bike, I am now winning big time! I have mine bolted to my shop floor, does not take up too much space. I use the area around and behind it for storage when its not in use.

·
Smut peddler
855 Posts
I recently did my first tire change (on a street tire anyways), and it was a somewhat adventurous endeavor, but we'll worth it. I got the motion pro spoons, protectors, bead breaker, and Marc Parnes balancer. I tried the tyrwap method I saw on the youtubes, but to be honest, I feel that was a waste of time, only tried it on one tire. Well placed spoons on a tire that is sun soaked with some soapy water seemed to be the trick. To mount the new tires, I saw a video of a guy that used gorilla tape to make the opening a bit bigger, and that seems to help, but really, soap, warm tires, and using your knees to press the opposite side in worked quite well. Amazing how I forgot all the tricks I used to know on the dirt turd tires I changed. It took aboot 2 hours all around, but that was with a lot of video watching, and cleaning the wheels and tight areas on the bike that were meow exposed. I'm guessing half that time next go around. Mind you, this was on Michelin PR2 and Pirelli Rosso corsa tires. I imagine touring tires are quite a bit tougher.

If I only changed tires once a year, I probably wouldn't go through the trouble. But I'm at a minimum of 3-5, so the savings is well worth it. The balancing is easy peasy with the Parnes balancer. The only thing I might change is get fatter spoons.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Tire changer

No MAr all the way!
Purchased the full kit and kaboodle...and some spares...
Closest place to me is like 15 miles...Closest Ducati Dealer is 70 miles..closest friend with a tire machine was 55 miles...
So I purchased my own changer...No regrets
Mike S

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Tire Changer

I have a No Mar Classic...ordered the Yellow Thing tool
Also ordered spare end effectors for the tools...
Ordered the Balancer...
Ordered extra tire valves..
Now I can change my tires and not drive an hour away to get htem mounted!!
Which was a pain..
If you get a No Mar...get on their site and watch the videos..If you are struggling...then your doing it wrong!!!!
Watch the videos...save your life..:surprise::surprise:
Get the balancer...or make your own...but balance your tires...
The No Mar I purchased slides into my reciever on my Silverado(2 inch)
Which makes it portable...I can take it to my friends house and mount their tires for them.
Saving them a good chunk of change...and their rims.
It was an expense...like 1100.00 for all.
But I like the tool...well designed
grear quality build materials..
Buy quality
Pay once!!
Mike S

·
Registered
38 Posts
I met the guy that made that TireX changer referenced on Sept 8th at a local cars and coffee a while back. He says he's at local tracks changing tires and obviously promoting his product. It looks really slick and especially nice to be able to wall mount. His price is $485. Seems like that's about the price of the lowest option No Mar but its been a while since I looked it up.

I'm not sure it's as versatile as the no mar? It's hard to justify buying a tire changer when I can take a wheel in and have it done for $30. Other than convenience. Is the no mar helpful to change other small tires (atv, lawn mover, etc..)? This Tire X doesn't look like it would be that versatile

21 - 40 of 41 Posts