Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been stung again for a wheels off tire change and more to do this fall and again in spring (probably 4 changes over the next year, $400 plus at a dealer), I'm considering buying a tire changer, specifically one of the No-Mar models. I've read various threads here and on the web, but specifically I'm torn between the basic CH model and the more expensive Classic changer. I suspect that with the basic I'd want some accessories, perhaps a YellowThing and maybe a scratch proof bead breaker.

If anyone has thoughts on which to choose, or other options, I'd be grateful for the feedback...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I found the CH200 on craigslist local and stole it. It was like new also with extra parts, guy used it 4 times and went a more automated way.

Anyway the Classic going for $599 would be the one I would pick. I like how the dog & cam blocks work and you get waist high bead breaking.

One trick I learned when putting the tire on and it stops with about 1/4 of the tire left to pop on... wait, just wait a bit. Let the tire adjust and keep the tension on the tire.
Then try to finish and it will most likely just pop on. Or you can swear and keep forcing it until it works.

I like the Marc Parnes balancer also. $$$ but works nice on a couple jack stands

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Snap On. They're the #1 in my opinion, but price reflects that. I also have a Dynojet 200 in my garage, you could say I like to do it all (or forced to do it all by geographic scarcity perhaps...)

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Classic works great for me. Probably one of my best tools. The hitch mount is dynamite, but keep in mind that you need a place to store all this bulky stuff. The hitch mount is awesome. I only use it, the bead breaker, the pry tool and two of those yellow hands. And their very good lube (works good in the hair too). Dunlop race tires are the only ones that have required any grunt.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
No experience with their tire changers, but another vote of confidence for their lube. I've never tried it for hair gel, just... nevermind. Maybe one day I'll have room to put a tire changer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a No-Mar classic, and I am very happy with its ease of operation and the build quality. I do like the fact that the company is producing it in the USA and answers its phone, not something everyone does anymore.

Uli-

·
Registered
686 Posts
out of curiosity, what are people paying to get a tire mounted? the gas station near my house charges $5 per wheel

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I change my own but since you asked the local Ducati Dealer charges.
$30.00 per tire off bike
$50.00 per tire on bike
These prices include the disposal fees of the old tires.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I change my own but since you asked the local Ducati Dealer charges.
$30.00 per tire off bike
$50.00 per tire on bike
These prices include the disposal fees of the old tires.
Indeed. I paid $40 per wheel off the bike, disposal and taxes on top so a little over $100 for two wheels. Dealer prices here vary based on whether you buy the tires from them or bring your own; I could get $30 per wheel but only by spending quite a chunk more than $10 per tire purchasing from the dealer. My son is commuting on one of the bikes and that also constrains when tires can be changed; he also wants to run different tires in the winter vs summer leading to more changes than we presently do. All of this prompted me to take a look at doing it myself. I suck at tire levers, I know I'm going to make a mess, and so I'd prefer to go with a changer to simplify and speed things up.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread, I'll almost certainly go the Classic route.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
If you do buy a new NoMar, you should know they have a big annual sale around Thanksgiving. If you already have new tires, probably worth it to wait.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
+ one more for No Mar

I also have a No Mar. Classic I'm pretty sure. I got mine years ago at Laguna Seca. No Mar showed up and gave a show special with free shipping and all. I think I paid $399 back then. I'd say I've saved at least that much, maybe more doing my own tires in the 10 plus years since.

As for the lube, I can't say for sure but I think they just take this stuff and put it into smaller containers with the No Mar brand on it:

All that said, I did the tire lever thing for a while but the No Mar takes a few factors out of the equation. 1st, brake rotor carriers can be easily bent if care is not taken when trying to lever a tire off on the floor, 5 gal pail or what have you. Not a factor with the No Mar.

Using levers, scratching rims is far too easy unless you have plastic protectors on your levers or plastic levers. Again, not a factor with the No Mar.

The No Mar that I have comes with a bead breaker. Unless you have a bead breaker, or know how to make one you're left with using a giant C clamp or some other means of breaking the bead.

I have the "yellow thingy" too, and never had issues with it. Not scratched a rim once in the time I've had it.

Like the OP, I have multiple bikes so I change tires fairly frequently. Also, my buddies like the option to have a free tire change once in a while.

Balancers can be had for little money at a few online stores as well as Harbor Freight. Marc Parnes makes a specific balancing shaft with its own bearings just for the HF balancer.

I have the HF balancer and haven't had issues with it for balancing wheels. That said, I'm going to get a Marc Parnes set up in the near future....sean

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you do buy a new NoMar, you should know they have a big annual sale around Thanksgiving. If you already have new tires, probably worth it to wait.
I fully expect to get burned, but I have two rear tires that picked up punctures over the last 3 weeks (Nealy plugs, PR3 @10k miles, Angel GT @8k miles) and the weather is starting to turn here in the PNW.

·
Registered
152 Posts
out of curiosity, what are people paying to get a tire mounted? the gas station near my house charges $5 per wheel
Last tire change at my local shop was CDN$86 with the wheel OFF the bike.... now I have a No-Mar Classic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ran into this guy (https://tirxmoto.com/content/tirx-motorcycle-tire-changer/what-it-is) that makes this changer at our local cars and coffee. Looks really slick. Biggest selling point to me was that it can be wall mounted and therefore takes up very little garage space. I have never used it and haven't found a way to justify the expense although the convenience would be awesome.

Just took a rear to have a new tire mounted and the shop I took it to couldn't get their balancer to work with the larger hole of Duc (they work mostly on HD and didn't have the right adapter). Anyway, long story short I just used balancing beads from dyna beads or something like that. worked great so far

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I ran into this guy (https://tirxmoto.com/content/tirx-motorcycle-tire-changer/what-it-is) that makes this changer at our local cars and coffee.
From the web site "The TiRx Sportbike Tire Changer is not sold for use with dual sport, cruiser or touring
bikes. It has also been reported that this changer is not recommended for use with Buell motorcycles."
That would be a big problem for me I bought a 2nd hand No-mar see a few posts back and my 1st tire
change with it was on my SC 1000. The No-mar mount demount bar would not work with those wheels
but it did make a good wheel holder and bead breaker as far as the tire I had to use my plastic tire irons.
In the No-mar videos they use tire irons on the wheels that the TiRx can't handle I would not want to try
tire irons with my wheel mounted on a wall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts