Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a new tire for the rear, i've been running the metzler m-1 for a while and may as well try something new, not that they haven't been good to me.

recomendations? i'll go with a race tire as well so long as its not a slick.

thats a 748 i'm on.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa

SC3 rear and SC2 front will do you fine if you hit the track once in a while.

Pirelli Supercorsa Pro is the one i use. That really is just a cut slick tire. Extreme grip, but wears away in no time.

Metzeler Racetech if you want something Metzeler with more grip then the M-1. The same rubbercompound as the Supercorsa Pro, but diffrent shoulder.

//amullo

·
Registered
407 Posts
Namor said:
i need a new tire for the rear, i've been running the metzler m-1 for a while and may as well try something new, not that they haven't been good to me.

recomendations? i'll go with a race tire as well so long as its not a slick.

thats a 748 i'm on.
What type of riding do you do?

I prefer Pirelli's so this is a good general rule... if you're riding:
70% Street 30% track - Diablo
70% Track 30% street - Diablo Corsa
100% Track Diablo SuperCorsa Pro (basically a slick with 'some' rain grooves to make it DOT)
100% Track - Dragon Slicks

I use the SC Pro SC1/blue front & SC2/green rear (1999 748)
I was running slicks on my other bike but that meant too many tires to deal with so this year I plan to just use the SC Pro's for both bikes.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i came back to the forum to clear clear up what kind of riding i do, but you guys jumped on this topic faster than i expected.

my bike is for regular transportation is about 100-150 miles a week. track days between 2 and 4 days a month.

·
Registered
372 Posts
pilot powers are pretty hard to beat for the comprimise between a didicated trackday and street tire. metzler and michelin are supposed to be coming out with new tires very soon. i know the new pilot power will be a dual compound and iirc the metzler m3 may also.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I bought new tires today to pop on the BSTs (for the SS), and they suggested the M3s, but when I said that I wanted whatever weighed least they said to go with the Diablo Corsas (my initial suggestion).

Still use Pilot Powers on the ST2, though.

Tom

·
Registered
791 Posts
Namor said:
i came back to the forum to clear clear up what kind of riding i do, but you guys jumped on this topic faster than i expected.

my bike is for regular transportation is about 100-150 miles a week. track days between 2 and 4 days a month.
wow, that's a lot of miles to be put on one set of tires for a 50/50 street/track bike with an average cost of $350-400.

here's simple calculation of what your miles per month look like..
150miles X 4 = 600 miles per month on street
100miles X 4 = 400 miles per month on track.
1000 miles combined for the month average

after a 3rd or 4th trackday, i usually pop on a new set since the grip is just not there especially after so many heat cycles. i would suggest you get a dedicated set of track tires and wheels. swap them over for the street when they become take-offs. the track is the one place you don't want to take a chance with stale tyres. slipping a sliding ain't no fun at those speeds unless you're on a supermoto.

my fronts can last me about 4-6 trackdays. i just keep buying new rears until i notice they need replacing.

btw, i use dunlop 209gp's. i hear alot of good things about metz, pirelli's, and michelins. it's a matter of preference for most since track tires perform the same for the average rider. i just like the profile on the dunlops so i chose to stay with them. i've used 208gp's in the past and those were excellent.

·
comrade moderator
27,149 Posts
Sounds like what you really need is a spare set of wheels. Run your race rubber on one set and some good sport-touring tires on the other.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chuckracer said:
Sounds like what you really need is a spare set of wheels. Run your race rubber on one set and some good sport-touring tires on the other.
i agree, problem is i plan on the 10-spoke marches soon and think its stupid to run my old 3-spoke w/ race tires and the 10's with street, kind purpose defeating in that case. then out at the track i don't want to carry a set of spares and have the wheels removed and tires changes every time i go out so i can always run the 10-spoke.

what it really boils down to is i ought to buy a track bike, but even at $400 a month on tires (usually 2 or 3 track days with the prospective 4th) that's still the cheeper route, now that i've sent out my rockers for refinish i don't have much to worry about on the maitainnacne of my bike. that is till i trash it which will be in 2 or three track days, cuz i ride harder than i am good. really i should quit riding for every reason other than i love it.

thanks for the help everyone, i think i'm gonna run the pirelli's untill next month, or till a month after my rockers are returned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts