Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never changed a tire myself no do I know how to do it. I always go to a shop whenever I need new tires.

So I took my S2R1000 to a shop for new tires today. When it was done and I was paying, the owner tells me my chain was loose so they had to adjust it so that's another $15. Huh!?! Don't you put the rear tire back on and make sure the chain has the proper slack/tension anyways??? Yes, I paid the $15 but I left the shop thinking well that was weird. Was that another gimmick to get more money out of me? The shop already charged me $45 per wheel for mounting, not to mention I bought the tires from them too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It certainly sounds excessive but in all honestly, you don't have to touch the chain in order to replace a tire on a bike with a single sided swingarm. It really is extra work to loosen the eccentric and adjust the chain.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
SSSA...charge justified. DSSA...nope, just part of the work. However if it were me I'd charge extra for DSSA. Takes me more that twice as long to do.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It certainly sounds excessive but in all honestly, you don't have to touch the chain in order to replace a tire on a bike with a single sided swingarm. It really is extra work to loosen the eccentric and adjust the chain.
Good to know, thanks I have my 1098R needing tires too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Good to know, thanks I have my 1098R needing tires too.
Yeah, chain adjustments on the 1098R will be the same, I believe. It's not complicated but it does take up some shop time so $15 isn't unreasonable. I mean, If someone purchased tires and paid to have them installed in my shop (if I had one) I think I'd adjust the chain as a part of the service regardless of the bike but, I don't think your guy was trying to scam you by any means.

·
Premium Member
5,575 Posts
Let me be "that guy" and remind you checking chain tension should be a routine thing for you. Lubing it as well. Maybe not every time you swing a leg over the bike, but pretty often. If the shop had to let you know it was loose and adjusted it without asking you first, my guess it was pretty loose. A modest pre-ride check can save a lot of trouble on the road.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I find that alarming. I've never paid a charge for anything I didn't agree to in some form up front for nothing more than the principal. It takes almost no time to tighten a chain on a single sided swingarm or a double that is already aligned. Any experienced mechanic will make the adjustment in seconds. It should be done as part of the service because it would be stupid not to do it while the assembly is loose. If there is something wrong and it won't adjust easily, then you contact the customer about additional charges before screwing with it further. This is like getting an oil change and then being told you owe for a carwash. Probably a standard policy at this place regardless of whether it needs adjusting or not. The females in my family got this type of behavior frequently. The response, I have to call my dad/husband. 80% of the time, that alone eliminated the charge. These days of social media reviews, it is just plain stupid behavior.

If I were you, I would have said, "no thanks, I adjust my own chain," Then I would never go back there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts