Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people are using to break the beads for tire changing. I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you guys talking about the big industrial model, or the Cycle Hill model?

I suppose I could change tires for friends to help offset the cost of the larger model.

After just having to pay $125.00 to pay for two tire installs this morning, off the bike, I'm determined that won't happen again.

At first I was just going to buy a bead breaker and do the rest with spoons, but I may just go for the whole magilla.

Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Are you guys talking about the big industrial model, or the Cycle Hill model?

I suppose I could change tires for friends to help offset the cost of the larger model.

After just having to pay $125.00 to pay for two tire installs this morning, off the bike, I'm determined that won't happen again.

At first I was just going to buy a bead breaker and do the rest with spoons, but I may just go for the whole magilla.

Thanks
Yo Steve. Been there done that. I feel and know exactly where you're coming from. Get the top model of No-Mar if possible. The company guarantees everything for life. No shit, no nonsense. Buy it and be done with it. Period.

You buy it, and so many friends/strangers will come to your garage that it'll pay for itself in no time at all. I can swap meat and have the shit balanced in 35 minutes. No kidding. (off the bike that is)

No more paying $150 for such a simple job anymore. Buy it and I promise you you'll wonder why it took so long to just bite the bullet.

I cannot express to you how easy this machine makes life. I love this machine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got the Cycle Hill changer, and it works great. I've got 4 bikes and it's definitely paid for itself. I recently changed the 240 rear tire on my Roadstar Warrior, and it handled that big tire just fine. I was worried that it wouldn't handle that big of a tire, so I'm definitely a happy customer.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I went cheap :D. 6' 2x4 bolted loosely to the wall in my shed at one end so it pivots up and down, with a 1' 2x4 loosely bolted to it, hanging down (tapered at the bottom to fit the width of the sidewall) about 2' from the wall. Push down on the end, rotate wheel, repeat, presto, bead pops off. I probably spent $5 on it and I've used it at least a dozen times. Unbolts to store in 10 seconds. I always remove the brake rotors to avoid damaging them (had a shop bend a rotor once) and I place several layers of cardboard underneath to protect the rim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yo Steve. Been there done that. I feel and know exactly where you're coming from. Get the top model of No-Mar if possible. The company guarantees everything for life. No shit, no nonsense. Buy it and be done with it. Period.

You buy it, and so many friends/strangers will come to your garage that it'll pay for itself in no time at all. I can swap meat and have the shit balanced in 35 minutes. No kidding. (off the bike that is)

No more paying $150 for such a simple job anymore. Buy it and I promise you you'll wonder why it took so long to just bite the bullet.

I cannot express to you how easy this machine makes life. I love this machine.
+1....bought the top model with all the goodies. Maybe $1,300 to my door and VERY happy. It's like any other tool, 10 years down the road I will still have it and glad I spent the coin.
On the other hand if you can not spend any money we used to use the side stand to break the beads and then spoon. Not sure if I would do that on my Ducati's .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the Abba Bead braker sold here in England.
Its a good bit of kit but you still need to use tyre levers to get the tyre off and on.

I would not recommend taking the rotors off each time as the bolts are supposed to be one-shots and are threadlocked in.

Yes you can get them out and re-use them if you want to but I think its less of a problem the leave em on.

Oh by the way rears are easy - fronts are a biatch to put on.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I've had the nomar classic I bought probably 3-4 years ago. Changed a couple dozen tires and more than paid for itself. The downside is all your friends suddenly want you to change the tires. That's not a problem, but it's when they're disappointed that you want them to bring the wheels/tires off the bike ;)

NOmar is exc. I did learn a couple years ago about a dismount mount tool that's far better than the nomar - No-scufftiretool

It's an exc tool

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Why not just cut it off. You don't want it anyway do you? Then go to Harbor Freight and buy eight 1" buckle straps, mine are yellow.
Put the straps equal distance apart around the new tire and tighten them. Put a lot of tire mounting slick on the beads and push it on. Position the dot and remove the straps, inflate, balance and mount.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
That's simply not true about not removing the rotors. The bolts do not have to be lock-tited. I've had my front rotors on and off many times; it's easy and guarantees someone (or you) won't bend them. The factory uses thread locker for liability reasons because most people never check the bolts. If you know how to use a wrench, they are pretty much a no-brainer to check occasionally. I don't use thread locker on my track bike and none of them have ever loosened the slightest bit. On the other hand, it was costly and time consuming to send my bent rotor off to be straightened. I certainly wouldn't take the chance with my $750 Braketech axis ductile iron rotors :eek:!

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
I went cheap :D. 6' 2x4 bolted loosely to the wall in my shed at one end so it pivots up and down, with a 1' 2x4 loosely bolted to it, hanging down (tapered at the bottom to fit the width of the sidewall) about 2' from the wall. Push down on the end, rotate wheel, repeat, presto, bead pops off. I probably spent $5 on it and I've used it at least a dozen times. Unbolts to store in 10 seconds. I always remove the brake rotors to avoid damaging them (had a shop bend a rotor once) and I place several layers of cardboard underneath to protect the rim.

+1 I have a similar setup in my shed and have been using it for a few years now. I use another 2x4 under the rim to keep the rotors off the floor and becoming part of the equation.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
So u guys have had shop break bend mar your stuff and no one has btched and made them pay for them ?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
When I bought my SS/SP the rotor had already been bent by the shop that put on the new tires. The pistons in the caliper kept being pushed back in, resulting in no brakes the first time the lever was pulled (kinda like Stoner after his tank slapper resulting in no front brake until he pulled the lever the second time, and missed the turn. Last year?). Anyway, the previous owner and I couldn't figure out the problem until after I had trailered the bike home to Wyoming, from Wisconsin, so he just paid me the money for me to get the rotor straightened (framestraightsystems.com). I would assume the shop that did it would be expected to pay to fix it. Unless they were assholes and claimed it was possibly bent when the wheel was brought to them. The bend was not obvious to the nekked eye. Removing the rotors before the shop touches the wheel would avoid any possibility of them being bent!

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I have this:

Got it on Amazon.com, search portable tire changer or bead breaker.

Did the home made tool thing for years. This is nicer, more solid better to use.

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
I have only used the ghetto method:
Bead Breaker for Motorcycle Tires - webBikeWorld

It works great, but am getting tired of using the tire iron.

I'm planning on upgrading to the device that SS posted above, minus the bead breaker option (http://amzn.com/B001P4BWN4), but with the noscuff tire tool:
No-scufftiretool

So for about $160, you will never waste time or have to drop your trousers at a m/c tire shop again.

The absolutely best bead goop I have used is Bead Goop:
BestRest Products, LLC - Bead Goop

The tire will seat perfectly with ridiculously little pressure.

Don't forget the Dynabeads to make it an absolutely joyful experience during and after:
Dyna Beads

I static balanced many sets, but the beads are the very best. If they didn't cost so much (5oz per car tire), I would have in them in our cars' tires. For the bike tires, static balancing feels just as great as the beads, but the beads maintain that feeling for the life of the tire. Some folks reuse the beads. I reuse them once, then swap in new ones.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts