Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't Know If I Put This In The Right Forum

I Have A 1999 750 Ss. Can I Put A Pp 180/55 17 & 120/70 17 On It?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tire size change

I have a '94 900SS. I changed to a 5.5" rear wheel, so I can't comment on the rear. However I changed out to a 70 profile from the stock 60 profile.

I have almost no clearance on my front fender now. It actually rubs a little bit, particularly when driving through sand or gravel in a parking lot. There isn't any real hard contact, but it does add to the general look of confusion when non-Ducati riders hear that in concert with the clutch rattle!

If you don't want to make even more noise, check your fender clearance to see if you have sufficient room to accommodate the additional height of a 70 profile.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I don't recall what size wheel is on the rear, but I'm pretty sure it's a 4.5", which would make the answer to your question "no". It'll physically fit on the wheel but the sidewalls would be rolled in waaay to much for my taste. It would look like crap and the handling would be less than ideal to say the least. Not dangerous, but not what you're looking for.

You should have a 3.5" wheel on the front so the 120/70 is a "yes".

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
tire size

for a 4.5 I would be looking at a 160 wide for the rear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tire Advise

General "Rule of Thumb for rear rim width / rear tire size:

4.5" rim (Std on 750 SS and 900 SS/CR): 160 or possibly170
5.5" rim (Std on 900 SS/SP and Superbikes): 180
6.0" rim : 190

While a wider rear tire (on the appropriate width rim) may look impressive, you may degrade both the overall handling, acceleration and braking capability by increasing the height and weight of the rotating assembly. Unless you have a "seriously breathed-on" 750 SS, your hard-earned $$ would be best spent on stock-sized, high-quality rubber and light-weight rims (stockers are quite heavy).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts