Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through endless old tire threads and am still unsure- stock sizes for the CR were 120/60 and 160/60, but it seems that many people (including prior owner of my bike) ran 120/70 and 170/60 on the 4.5" rears.

Has anyone run this combo with Michelin Pilot Powers? I've ordered the 120/70 and 170/60 but am second guessing myself. Are there any fitment issues other than the front fender rubbing? Mine has already worn away a pretty good section from the tire the guy was running before.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the stock size for front is 120/70. Some say that one should stick to the stock size for the rear, as the wider tire affects handling, in the case of SS, negatively (slower turn in). I honestly don’t know if you can tell on the street. I have 180 on my SP because they don’t make 170 of the tire that I like (Michelin Power RS, I love this tire).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I really can't speak to the michelins but I went with pirelli diablo rosso III on my 1995 900ss/cr this past spring. 120/70 on the front with no issues with fitment or interference, fender fits as normal. I've switched to a 5.5" rear wheel with 180/55 rosso III as well, again, no fitment issues at all.

I originally had a 170 michelin rear tire on the 4.5" rear wheel and I thought it was a bit wide for the rim. It seemed to pinch a bit and I had couldn't really use the tire right to the edge. Given the choice I think a 160 would work better, but its probably a very marginal difference. No fitment issues either way however.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the stock size for front is 120/70. Some say that one should stick to the stock size for the rear, as the wider tire affects handling, in the case of SS, negatively (slower turn in). I honestly don’t know if you can tell on the street. I have 180 on my SP because they don’t make 170 of the tire that I like (Michelin Power RS, I love this tire).
SP fronts were 120/70, CR was 120/60, even though both had 3.5" front. The 120/70 will rub the fender on a CR, which had already happened on mine. Does anyone know if it is the fender being too short, or the mounting brackets on the fork bottoms being too low that causes the rubbing issues? For example, would a CF fender from an SP rub on stock CR forks, or would a CR fender rub if on SP forks?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really can't speak to the michelins but I went with pirelli diablo rosso III on my 1995 900ss/cr this past spring. 120/70 on the front with no issues with fitment or interference, fender fits as normal. I've switched to a 5.5" rear wheel with 180/55 rosso III as well, again, no fitment issues at all.

I originally had a 170 michelin rear tire on the 4.5" rear wheel and I thought it was a bit wide for the rim. It seemed to pinch a bit and I had couldn't really use the tire right to the edge. Given the choice I think a 160 would work better, but its probably a very marginal difference. No fitment issues either way however.

Cheers
Thank you, that definitely puts me at ease. What pinched on the rear? Sides or top?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you, that definitely puts me at ease. What pinched on the rear? Sides or top?
I thought the tire was pinched in a little on the edges close to the bead. The profiles between the pirelli's and the michelin were very different so take this with a grain of salt. The pirelli diablo rosso III has a much pointier profile. Here's a pic I took before reinstalling...180 pirelli on the left on a 5.5" wheel, 170 michelin on the right on a 4.5" wheel

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
the bikes that came with the 120/60 (everything but the 900ss and 900ss/sp) had a different front guard (fender). it's shorter between the mounting holes and the guardy bit. hence the 120/70 rubbing through it.

170 is a dead size for michelin's new ranges it seems.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
The reason we always swapped to a 120/70 from the 120/60 was just to help protect the rim from getting bent. If you bought the sp you had the same wheel running the 120/70 so fit and handling will be fine with either, 120/60 turns a bit faster. There used to even be a 120/65 that we used as well. The fender can fit but gets tight/might rub. A SS/SP fender for the 120/70 fixes the issue and any carbon fenders I have seen are all molded for the 120/70. If potholes are not a concern I would stay 120/60 if you can get tires, I think it is available in a power 2ct only now.

Speedo drive also is likely different so expect to read different, not enough to bother changuing IMHO.

The 4.5" rear is best with a 160/60 but I have run 170 plenty (cheap supply of race tires in odd sizes). handling is best with 160 not the 170 but the 170 will fit with no issues. Because you are pinching the tire on the rim expect you will have chicken strips you not be able to get to due to tire shape.

FYI: the powers are great all around tires still I would have no issues using them track or street and the 2ct makes for a great intermediate rain tire as the sipes still go to the edge of the tire they allow steep lean angles when wet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the knowledge and advice. I'm new to Ducati and the 900SS, but not vintage bikes. The people on this forum are some of the most knowledgeable and friendly I've come across!

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
My CR came to me with a 5.5 on the rear and a 180. 120-70 front . Pilot Powers. It drove like a truck, the turn in was horrible. I dropped the front as much as prudent, a little improvement, but still a fight. Then I changed tires to new Pilot Power Classics ( I don’t think they make them anymore) , same sizes. Night and day, turn in became much easier, still with front end dropped. I have used both stock and cf fenders , the front is close but doesn’t rub with either. The rear stock hugger was rubbing when I got it. A little tweaking and shimming, it’s close but not getting any worse. A cf from a non SS (ST maybe) appears to clear but I’ll have to fuss with mounting it.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I forgot to mention, I believe the original tires had been “ slabbed” , worn flat from highway commuting. The rounder profile of the new ones was the improvement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can make the CR fender fit better with 120/70 front tires by placing a washer or two under the bottom mounting points. This squeezes the top of the fender together, raising it a bit. Or use it as an excuse to get one of those fancy carbon fenders

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been reading through endless old tire threads and am still unsure- stock sizes for the CR were 120/60 and 160/60, but it seems that many people (including prior owner of my bike) ran 120/70 and 170/60 on the 4.5" rears.

Has anyone run this combo with Michelin Pilot Powers? I've ordered the 120/70 and 170/60 but am second guessing myself. Are there any fitment issues other than the front fender rubbing? Mine has already worn away a pretty good section from the tire the guy was running before.
I have a 97 ,900 ss I installed a new 120/70 and my fender was rubbing the tire ,I ended up creating bracket to raise the fender up a 1/2 an inch it worked great here's a couple pictures. The strange thing is this is the size that is recommended by Ducati.I went by what was on this sticker on my frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
My 1991 is an SS not a CR but I am running 120/70/17 ft & a 170/60 17 rear with no issues

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have a 97 ,900 ss I installed a new 120/70 and my fender was rubbing the tire ,I ended up creating bracket to raise the fender up a 1/2 an inch it worked great here's a couple pictures. The strange thing is this is the size that is recommended by Ducati.I went by what was on this sticker on my frame.
cr or sp?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts