Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty short, 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I have a hard time reaching the ground. I already have the DP seat.

I have an S model with the adjustable shock link. Does anyone have any experiance dropping the bike with the link and sliding the forks a little lower in the triple clamps? How low can you go before it starts to mess up the handling? Any other tips for short guys?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am pretty short, 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I have a hard time reaching the ground. I already have the DP seat.

I have an S model with the adjustable shock link. Does anyone have any experiance dropping the bike with the link and sliding the forks a little lower in the triple clamps? How low can you go before it starts to mess up the handling? Any other tips for short guys?
You're 1 inch taller than me and my inseam is roughly the same. I can only touch the ground with one foot/tippy toe and butt cheek slightly off the seat (either side). I'm pretty comfortable controlling the hyper (stop, go etc), the only problem for me is backing up on difficult angles and space. What I usually do is just walk the hyper back and go from there.

My suggestion would be to keep practicing and get comfortable handling the hyper first before messing with the suspension. Leave your self enough space when you're following a vehicle to avoid emergency stops and/or buy a pair of boots with thick soles. FYI, I have the racing seat and it seems to be the same height as the stock.

Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I especialy hate backing up. I can deal with the height but I don't like it. I want to be more comfortable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 5'4" with 29" inseam. Bought the seat - didn't make much difference. I don't have the S so I bought the rear adjusting link separately and installed it. Lowered the back and front end approximately equally - top of triple clamp is 25 mm below the top of the fork cap. If anything I lowered the front more than the rear. Handles great, especially on the track! :D And, I can get both sides tip-toes if pavement is flat. Backing up requires downhill or getting off the bike but I've been doing that for 15 years so same old ....

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Short rider unite, "we will find a way"...your tall, 5'3" and have a SC1000, where there is a will there is a way.. Story of my life.
Read stories about Danny Chandler, it will inspire you :yeah:

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I am pretty short, 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I have a hard time reaching the ground.
What are you gaints complaining about, I'm 5' 6"... :D

I'm still waiting on my DP comfort seat which is lower than stock to come. If it doesn't come soon I'll be doing some surgery on the stock (don't like the shape of the stock one anyway). I'm going to order an adjustable rear link and try dropping the bike about 10-15 mm max., don't want to go too low and start scraping the pegs.

Backing up is pain, typically I just get off the bike and push it. The height of the bike otherwise isn't an issue.

BTW smartbomb, you have great taste in bikes, I've had all the ones in your signature. My RS250 was the Challenge Cup race version, my was RZ350 a yellow and black Kenny Roberts replica (only bike I truly regret selling), and a `76 RD400 was my first bike.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im 5.7 didnt have to much of a problem since i ride dirtbikes almost everyday but i am getn it lowered as we speak but am changing springs and valving wouldnt attempt lowering unless you are having someone that knows setups on street bikes/race bikes.another thing i did is had a custom seat made by sargent out of my stock seat.took it as low as i could go without sacrificing comfort.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm 5'4" with 29" inseam. Bought the seat - didn't make much difference. I don't have the S so I bought the rear adjusting link separately and installed it. Lowered the back and front end approximately equally - top of triple clamp is 25 mm below the top of the fork cap. If anything I lowered the front more than the rear. Handles great, especially on the track! :D And, I can get both sides tip-toes if pavement is flat. Backing up requires downhill or getting off the bike but I've been doing that for 15 years so same old ....
Anna, is that you?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've always just been proud to touch the foot pegs........This thing feels like my son's dirt bike compared to big BMW adventure. I slide off one side to put my foot down or just get off and push also. I don't like lowering the bike and dragging things. The comfort seat helped a little but it was mostly bought for the shape vs the stock one. Touching the ground has to be overrated but I wouldn't know I've never been able to touch.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Im a short arse to 5.8"

DP comfort seat
drop the link but not to far

Better to get a dealer to set up the rest of the suspension

i have no problem front part of foot on ground ,backing bike a breeze

but careful of those foot pegs M8 they can run close to the grind though.

shanetbird
short arse Ozzy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for the advice, I am going to adjust the link and drop the forks 15-20 mm and see if I can touch both sides on my toes.

A long time ago when MX bikes started to get really tall, I gave up trail riding because I was tired of falling over. A dumb low speed drop because I can't touch the ground well on my prized Duc is gonna reall piss me off!

·
Registered
284 Posts
There are lots you can do to help and make the ride a pleasure. My bike came with a scooped out standard seat which was then gelled for added comfort. I'm 5'6" and whilst not flat footed on both sides it's good for me and no problem.

Please excuse the face It's my Elvis look :) Thank you very much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who modded your seat?

·
Registered
284 Posts
It had been done before I bought it by the previous owner. The guy that did it is based in Coventry UK though a number of people have had it done by other seat guys. Have a look in your local area and have a word about what you want and what they can do. Do get gel though it makes a massive diference to comfort on a days riding

·
Registered
670 Posts
It had been done before I bought it by the previous owner. The guy that did it is based in Coventry UK though a number of people have had it done by other seat guys. Have a look in your local area and have a word about what you want and what they can do. Do get gel though it makes a massive diference to comfort on a days riding
Coventry? I thought it was a ghost town! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you everyone for the advice, I am going to adjust the link and drop the forks 15-20 mm and see if I can touch both sides on my toes.

A long time ago when MX bikes started to get really tall, I gave up trail riding because I was tired of falling over. A dumb low speed drop because I can't touch the ground well on my prized Duc is gonna reall piss me off!
Don't drop the front forks too much, my rear link is at it's shortest setting, but the front forks only slid up 5mm. Handling felt very much like standard height. When I took the forks up another 5mm, the steering got really quick and twitchy, which is saying a lot on these bikes, so go in small increments (to taste as they say).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts