Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07B98794-8920-434A-A980-5CDBBC6B8DE1.jpeg

I was installing an aluminum swingarm when my bike parted ways with the stand. Damage includes clutch cover, right front half fairing, turn signal. Looking for rh half fairing. Does anybody know of a source besides eBay as most are kinda rough.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
There are bike breakers on eBay that specialize in Ducati and have large inventories and dont list everything they have. You have to check their on line store .

Reactions: walduc

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and helpful information. This helps alleviate some of the pain from yesterday!

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Oh man that sucks... I watched an older guy drop his brand new never been ridden K1600 at the dealer when he was trying to get it on the centerstand or something (just got away from him). I was about 20' away and as it was going over (painfully slowly) I started toward him but no way I could get there in time. Made me want to cry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to cry too! I hope others won’t have to go through this experience as this truly sucks. Oh well, have to keep moving forward.

·
comrade moderator
27,181 Posts
Been there, done that. Sent my body panel to a so-called expert painter and fiberglass repair dude and Duc owner. Got back in 6 months with an average job. Packing consisted of tossing the panel in a box...no packing, no inner box protection.

Yours is totally fixable by someone who knows Ducati paint codes. The fiberglass isn't splintered and the turn signal housing and lens doesn't appear broken.

·
Registered
119 Posts
After looking at the photo of the damage more closely, I'm with Chuckracer. That looks very repairable and you would be unlikely to find a replacement that didn't have as much or more damage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might want to check with Ed at Ducpower.com in the Bay Area.
And, you can also try Wounded Duc.com. I've had great luck with both.

BTW: My '95 fell off it's "trick" side stand at a gas station in CH. The local dealer told me they are "very repairable" and he was right.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After looking at the photo of the damage more closely, I'm with Chuckracer. That looks very repairable and you would be unlikely to find a replacement that didn't have as much or more damage.
I've been checking and your spot on. I didn't want to go the repair rout as this has been aggravating in my past experiences. However, this looks like the most logical and less painful choice. I have a RH turn signal coming from FB contact that deals in salvage Ducati's. Thanks again to everyone for being very helpful!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and helpful information. This helps alleviate some of the pain from yesterday!
Sorry for that.

Sometimes these things inspire upgrades and mods you weren't going to do. Are the damaged pieces sellable as damaged? Seems half the ebay pieces are exactly that and would recoup some costs at least.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for that.

Sometimes these things inspire upgrades and mods you weren't going to do. Are the damaged pieces sellable as damaged? Seems half the ebay pieces are exactly that and would recoup some costs at least.

I’ve decided to have the damage fairing repaired and repainted. I found an excellent painter and that also does restorations on vintage bikes. He’s done work on a friends 916, so I have seen his work firsthand. I’ll post pic’s once repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I'm glad you got that straitened out quickly with no more tears. It looks great!

If it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine dropped an 888 Ltd off his lift back in '95. He only had it secured by the front wheel vise. It slipped out and landed on it's top between the lift and the wall. Took 4 or 5 of us to get it out with no more damage, but it had a big crease across the top of the aluminum tank. "I was only cleaning it..."

I looked the tank up at work the next day, it was $1600.00...:eek:

A buddy of ours took it to his body shop and worked on it between jobs and pulled it out and repainted it within a week. I was impressed...it was faster than I could have gotten him a new tank.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You mentioned dropping the bike off the kick stand. Do you have the Nichols bolt conversion ? If not, apparently you should. It removes the self folding feature. I also modified the stand itself to go the past straight up position. This helps keeps a slight bump from pushing the bike off the stand.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts