Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Timing off?

3496 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  hillm5714
Last night I was leaving the store and it felt like my brake was stuck on. I pulled over and checked everything but found nothing stuck. I was two blocks from home so I headed home. As I shifted, I noticed that it coasted just fine with the clutch in, so I knew it was not not the brakes. It's like half of the engine is engine breaking and the other half is under power. Running on one cylinder? I poked around on here and some other sites and from what I 've gathered it could be a slipped timing belt, bent valves or both. So I pulled it apart today and found what I think is TDC compression, but my cam pulleys don't line up with the timing marks on the vertical cylinder (Picture). They line up perfectly on the horizontal cylinder. Can anybody help me?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I don't know much about it though. So should I just take the belt off and line up the marks? If so, do I have to worry about which way to turn it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my belts are pretty loose. I think I'm supposed to have around 5.5 mm between the belts at their closest point. I have more like 8 or 9 mm. The H cylinder seems to be in perfect time so I don't think the crank slipped too. What is the mark on the crank pully supposed to line up with? I have a little pink mark on the pully but I don't see anything to line it up with. Does this mark even matter? Which woodruff key do you mean? I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with this part of my bike. Thanks for all help so far.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of my timing marks (line through site glass and all three pulleys) line up perfectly when the horizontal cylinder is at TDC compression. But nothing (except the line through the sight glass) lines up when the vertical cylinder is at TDC compression. Is this normal? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.