Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I am extremely pleased to report that I have an oily mess in the floor under my 998!! I replaced the oil pump, and after putting everything relevant back together, oil came sputtering out of the vertical cylinder! Below are some pictures of the oily mess. I am so tired of this thread as I am sure many of you are, but thank you to everyone for your help and encouragement. I truly appreciate it.

The plan now is to change the head, cams, and belts. I also plan to install an oil gauge in place of the oil pressure switch. That way there will be no more guessing.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Asphalt Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
266 Posts
Great news! Too bad that you had to struggle with damaged valves and heads, but it looks like you have it figured out now. Kudos!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good news indeed! Must admit I never heard of an oil pump failing.

Reactions: dilbeckw

·
Come in Spinner :)
9,095 Posts
Big red light just means it's already too late.
Before I came to my senses I used two adjustable oil switches with separate different coloured lights.
One was set at just above idle pressure and the other at 15psi below normal running pressure.

I soon woke up to myself and fitted a gauge with the needle pointing at 12 O' Clock at hot running pressure.

Been there and done all this shit years ago including an evaluation of the Ducati oil pump and it's inherent flaws and how to alleviate them.
Also fitting an extra oil filter as the oil goes straight to the rockers and/or cooler BEFORE it's been through the filter.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Been there and done all this shit years ago including an evaluation of the Ducati oil pump and it's inherent flaws and how to alleviate them.
Also fitting an extra oil filter as the oil goes straight to the rockers and/or cooler BEFORE it's been through the filter.
Id like to hear more about what you found out about the flaws in the oil pump and the extra filter. Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I thought Id provide an update. I put the cams back on the head to see what would happen and I wasn't getting any oil flow again. I pulled the sensor and got no oil from there. I unhooked the top oil feed line and nothing was coming out of there either. I then removed the oil cooler hoses and oil began to flow from there...whew. Thus, the oil cooler seems to be the issue. I happened to have a spare oil cooler and installed that and I have oil flowing to the head again. Im guessing that there was a clog in the cooler. Does this sound feasible? I think this was the root of all of my problems.

I should probably mention that I developed an oil cooler leak on the original cooler about a year and a half ago. I decided to try a 999 cooler and it worked fine until recently. The spare I had was also a 999 cooler.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow, one has to wonder what could clog an oil cooler! Did you blow out the clogged one to see what came out?
Sure sorry that you're going through all this, but thanks for documenting the journey. I hope I never have this problem, but your experience will help if I do.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
So now I am confused. I changed the oil cooler and oil was again reaching the head like it should. I started it several times and it seemed fine. However, after several cranks I noticed the oil stop flowing again. I let it set for a little and tried again but no oil to the head. The battery voltage was then low so I am now charging the battery.

·
Registered
99' 996
648 Posts
How long did it idle before you shut it off waiting for oil? That definitely seems odd, but it can take much longer than you think to get oil to the top. But I can completely understand your hesitation at this point.

And you have pulled the filter and the screen havent you?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
After I changed the cooler, it took about 20-30 seconds for the oil to get to the top and flowed well after that. But at a certain point, it quit flowing. I assume that the there should be a steady flow of oil to the heads correct? Im hoping that the battery is just low enough that the engine isn't turning over fast enough so that the oil can reach the head.

I pulled both the filter and screen.

The only other thing I can think of is that i didn't have the cooler installed. I left it hanging on the ground. I wonder if after the cooler fills up, it isn't returning oil so that it can reach the head perhaps because it isn't level and isn't above the hoses. This would make sense because it is does reach the head initially, but I dont know.

Tomorrow I will try it again with the cooler mounted correctly and with a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
99' 996
648 Posts
Yeah try again with a charged battery and hang the cooler up. It really shouldnt matter, but just judging it based off turning it over with the starter it might when thrown in with a low battery. If I am tinkering and turning over repeatedly I always throw a charger on mine set to 10A.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
It sounds almost like the spring is missing from the bypass valve in the pump, but that seems impossible.
I just changed out the pump as well, but you raise a good point.

Its almost like oil is getting trapped in that part of the engine, but when I unhook the oil cooler lines oil escapes, and it is free to circulate again.

If what I mentioned above doesn't work, I might try to bypass the oil cooler just to momentarily eliminate that variable.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Ok, so I put the charged battery back on the back and I hit the starter button for several seconds to no avail. I then opened the oil fill screw and there was no oil in there. I added some more oil and still no oil flow. I then loosened the bottom oil cooler hose from the block and oil started flowing to the cylinder. I can't see how loosening the oil cooler hose would cause this so I am assuming the problem is that oil is flowing to the head, but oil isn't getting back to the crankcase where the oil pump resides. Should the oil that comes out of the ports at the top of the head flow back through the system? Isn't that what the ports beside the valves on the exhaust side are supposed to do? If so, this could be the problem since the oil that comes out of the ports is leaking all over the floor underneath the bike. I am thinking about putting oil in the cams and putting them back on the head and putting the cover on to avoid leaks. Of course the problem here is I won't be able to see if oil is coming out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So the cam boxes are filling up with oil until they overflow? That oil should absolutely be draining back down into the crankcase, not over-flowing. But then one would expect that when you took the cam covers off when you first started to troubleshoot that the cam boxes would have been full of oil. You have quite the puzzler going on!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
No the cam boxes are not filling up and overflowing. The oil is leaking out from the ports and flowing out alongside the outside of the case and then down to the ground.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
First, poor some oil into the vertical cam boxes. Verify increased oil in the site glass. Let's rule that out.
The nipples between the cooler lines and the case come out. It's easier to get the bottom one out by removing the top first. Remove them, and have a look.
Per the image, are the lines to the block correct?
Get an oil catch pan
Crank it with the cooler off, then M line and cooler only
Organ Font Line Parallel Auto part

121 - 140 of 164 Posts