Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally broken down and I'm coming to the collective;

Here are the details;

Used transplant motor, never ran by me.

Several different marks on crankshaft and cam pulleys

Installed new belts, aligned with original marks (I believe) on all pulleys.

No start condition. Have spark, have fuel.

My suspicion is that the motor is 180 degrees out...or at least that's how it acts. This is driving me nuts as I've had a few motors 180 out before but unless the camshaft pulleys line up on their respective marks, and the crankshaft is on it's respective mark, how can it be out?

Additionally, I've hooked up the GuzziDiag and checked/reset TPS, faults, etc. I cannot determine any other reason. I have but have not yet installed new matched fuel injectors...the bike DID sit for some time, however fuel is fresh, plugs are fresh, wires and coils are known good.

Anyone have any ideas? This is just nuts.

Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
My suspicion is that the motor is 180 degrees out...or at least that's how it acts. This is driving me nuts as I've had a few motors 180 out before but unless the camshaft pulleys line up on their respective marks, and the crankshaft is on it's respective mark, how can it be out?

I'm a complete noob here, so might not be of much help.

When you refer to the crankshaft mark, are you referring to the pulley that runs off the crankshaft that then drives the belts for the valves?

If so, doesn't that turn twice for every rotation of the crank? If so, is it possible that you need to get that to rotate 180 degrees again to get the crank in the correct position, if you're thinking it's 180 degrees out?

Don't do this, in case you break something, because I'm not sure on this.

Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will be along shortly...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question...I BELIEVE we've got pressure; Pump initiates, and I'm not getting any injector faults. With WOT, I can get the bike to fire and run briefly. I can also smell just a bit of fuel.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
you need to know. i had one where the spring inside the pressure reg had rusted away with water in the very bottom of the tank.

you could try crimping the return hose into the tank to build some pressure.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea...

I've worked on Duc's in the past and I used to race a Desmoquattro...this no start is completely non-sensical to the point that I'm looking at crazy stuff. Fuel delivery makes a lot of sense...hence the purchase of new injectors...I just need to make sure they're getting fuel.

Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts