Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up an '05 SS1000DS in NH tomorrow. It has 4K mi. on it and is totally stock. The current owner has had it for only 6 months. He got it from a local independent dealer who got it at auction in CT. Neither he nor the dealer have any maintenance records on it. According to Ducati NA it was originally delivered to Koup's in Harrisburg, PA. They also have no records. I was hoping to take it in a week or so for a 4 day trip up to NH and ME. I'm just a little concerned about the belts being "old" time wise. At this point they are 4-5 yrs. old. They will be replaced when I get back. Am I taking a big risk doing the trip with the stock belts?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Bruce,

I'm in a similar situation, the 02 Senna I just picked up has 3 years/500 miles on the belts. I haven't had them done yet and probably will ride through the fall and get the full service in the winter. I know the risks and consequences, but I've been through this before a number of times and am willing to take the chance.

Congrats btw.

On a side note, I had to say bye to my 95 as it was picked up on Saturday.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
i would not worry about the belts and replace them once you are home.
mine has same mileage and age, with the first belts still in place, i did
several high speed runs now and consider this 2 year belt change a little
bit overrated. As least if the bike has not been ridden much.

:think:

as with ozmanyyy, i have done this several times with several ducatis now,
low mileage old belts, and had no problems so far.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coincidently, my SS1000DS is also gray with red wheels and completely stock. Well, except for the new Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does the factory recommend changing them at 6K? If I remember the previous owner of my bike said he changed them at 6k like he was supposed to, but this was nonetheless a lie as they frayed and slipped at 10k resulting in me having to tear down and rebuild my bike to have the shop rebuild my vertical cylinder...

So if they aren't due until 6k and, after inspecting them, they are in good condition still you should be okay, but keep in mind the dire consequences.

Good luck and have a great ride.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I'm picking up an '05 SS1000DS in NH tomorrow. It has 4K mi. on it and is totally stock. The current owner has had it for only 6 months. He got it from a local independent dealer who got it at auction in CT. Neither he nor the dealer have any maintenance records on it. According to Ducati NA it was originally delivered to Koup's in Harrisburg, PA. They also have no records. I was hoping to take it in a week or so for a 4 day trip up to NH and ME. I'm just a little concerned about the belts being "old" time wise. At this point they are 4-5 yrs. old. They will be replaced when I get back. Am I taking a big risk doing the trip with the stock belts?
Cheap Fix! And can be done @ home. I do them ... or adjust them and take a look.

·
Registered
773 Posts
belts . . .

Cheap insurance for the price of new belts. One less thing to be distracted by, when you need zero distractions. Regrets are exactly that.

Fred

·
Registered
139 Posts
6k belt changes do seem a bit excessive to me as every time I've done my belts they've looked tip top. However you can't argue with peace of mind which is why I've gone ahead with the procedure.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddy Ben at Motoconsult says he can have new belts in it before I need to go on the trip. So, "better safe than sorry" is the mantra for today. Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know where your picking up the bike but I live in Me. If you need someplace to change out your belts (not that it cant be done in a parking lot)you are more than welcome. I live just outside Portland.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. That's a really nice offer. I'm headed up to Merrimack, NH. If I wasn't on such a tight travel schedule I'd drop by. I just have to be back in CT asap. Thanks again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anytime

I know what its like to need a garage far from home

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got back from NH with the new Duc tonight at about 7 PM. It is really different than my Bayliss 998. Only had a brief ride down the road with it but a couple things leaped out at me. It feels like it has a lightened flywheel or something. Revs up very quickly. It doesn't feel as "tight" as the Bayliss. Kind of like the difference between a very good coupe and a really good sports car. I'm looking forward to exploring what it does and how it does it. It does seem to be what I expected in that it seems more versatile and more suited to daily riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts