Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a little wrenching on the Multi...no idea when belts were done...look old to me but no signs of cracking or missing teeth. How do they look?
9854CBBD-E8B3-4D80-95E9-40C92D837922.jpeg
5F008A89-20F5-471F-AF6F-03494BF89A39.jpeg
72035E78-0640-4291-B0C2-FAC2F0EA84DA.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Belts are cheap, engines expensive. If you are unsure of the age change them. Life is 2 years or 15000 miles whichever comes first. I do run them 3 years but you need to be comfortable knowing the downside of a broken belt.

I will also add others need to check tension once in a while as I just had a m600 go through the shop with belts so loose you could remove them with no tools just slid them right off with my fingers.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
they look like belts. they always look the same pretty much. they don't look like they're about to fail, or worn.

i have only ever removed one belt that i recall was showing obvious of impending failure - it was strands of backing with teeth on it. no issue on that cylinder though. the other belt was fluff and much damage was done.

i've removed a few where it looked perfectly fine until you got to the break.

change them, don't change them, it's up to you, really. if you think it's a parts selling conspiracy, that's up to you. as eric says, if shit goes south, it costs way more than a set of belts. i go 5 years with current belts, happy to recommend it to customers. eric and i were both around in the late 90's when lots of 4v broke belts and saw the agro. lots of current owners weren't.

you can keep running them and see how long they last. how and when they fail will be fairly indetirminant i'd say - i don't think there'll be a predictable time or type of failure - someday, something will go wrong. might be a long time from now.

check the roller bearings if you do pull the belts off. i'd almost say they're a bigger point of failure on the ds motors than the belts, certainly within a 5 year / 24,000km belt change interval.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah going to change them. They did feel loose but were not at TDC where they are tighter right?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
tdc firing for the particular cylinder is where they have no load on them. otherwise, they may have load from a closing spring trying to turn a cam. it's not about looser or tighter as such.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Different experiences some times, we never saw 4-v bikes breaking belts in the 90's in the north east USA. could have been spec from Ducati as we had no issues with Materials. The MOST failures I have seen was in the early mid 2000's when we began using the Ducati factory tool at the same time the factory F****D up and gave out a spec that was too tight (only on the 1000 motors).

As Brad mentions you should NEVER be removing belts when they simply look bad, that's asking for trouble. And checking from time to time is worth doing as I find many more instances where another part is goinig to blow things up.
Too tight a belt
Too loose a belt
Bad bearings
Loose screws under the cover about to play pinball at 4000rpm
oil leaks
damage to belts from debris getting inside the covers
holes in belts from open cover or vented cover debris.
miss aligned belts that shave themselves down to the last few strands yet the bike runs fine... for now.
and finally a old and worn belt

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Getting them changed as they are at least 5 years old. Rode it down to mechanic today & kept revs between 3k & 4K. Going to have the clutch & brake fluid swapped as well. I changed oil, filter, & plugs. I will be more confident riding it now.

AnywY of fixing the crazy fuel gauge? It goes on & off & up and down by the minute. Guess it’s best just to fill it up & use the trip meter & get gas after 140 miles or so. Seems to be a common issue.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Do you get check engine light issues with the gauge? I was having mine stop working and throw codes though the bike ran fine. I am in the middle of fixing that. Never trust any fuel gauge IMHO so expect at best to have it warn of a empty tank when you still have somewhere between 1-2 gallons. setting trip and learning the bike is safest.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes EBOD light flicks on & off too...I remember reading somewhere that it is part of the wiring harness that is faulty. Guy fixed it & engine light stays off but fuel gauge is the same due to shape of tank & where the sensor is.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you get check engine light issues with the gauge? I was having mine stop working and throw codes though the bike ran fine. I am in the middle of fixing that. Never trust any fuel gauge IMHO so expect at best to have it warn of a empty tank when you still have somewhere between 1-2 gallons. setting trip and learning the bike is safest.
Here you go...https://www.justanswer.com/motorcycle/7487s-check-engine-light-comes-inermittly-time.html

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
last 2 2v mts i've had in have both had the engine light intermittantly on with the low fuel fault. both customers chose the cheap fix - ignore it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So was able to dig up when belts were done....only 6,000 miles ago but it was August of 2013. It’s time. Valves were done too. Do they tend to hold their tolerances better after a certain mileage? I’ve never owned an air cooled Duc with more than 10,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
12,402 Posts
I like a mechanic to check the bike over...Because they should have the experience that I lack, as far as bearings go how do you tell if they are bad or going bad. Yes a squeeling or grinding feel sure they are bad but should be changed or ok for a while. And how are you going to abuse and load the motor up is a factor too. I hope the fine trust worthy mechanic does what needs to be done and doesn't do extra not needed work. And uses correct parts.
Good mechanics need the work too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts