Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Panigale V4S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering purchasing an 09 1198S with 2112km's, I';ve been told to get the belts changed before riding it, the current owner said he starts the bike regularly but dosen't have the time to ride it, bike is garaged and under a cover so the storage conditions should be good, should I ride it home (500km) or have the belts changed first?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess that depends how long it's been sitting and the conditions it was stored in but, I wouldn't be afraid of riding it home if he's been starting it regularly.

I changed out the belts on my Diavel (same belts as the 1198S) at 20,000 miles and they still looked practically brand new. Not a mark on them and I could still clearly read the text on them. At the same time, I swapped belts on a used 1198 motor with 2K miles on it that had been sitting in a box in Florida for at least 5 years. Belts looked and felt new. No cracks or loose strands etc.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
people seem to expect old belts to look like they're failing or worn out, etc. they just don't. i've seen plenty that are both old time or km wise and they look great. and some that look perfect until you get to the broken bit.

whether you change them or not depends on your level of paranoia. there's probably much more chance of them being completely fine than failing, but if it was mine and i rode it my fear would be in overdrive by the time i was 2km from home, then i'd be overwhelmed with elation at having almost made it and then they'd break as i pulled in the drive. just my luck.

·
Registered
Panigale V4S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
people seem to expect old belts to look like they're failing or worn out, etc. they just don't. i've seen plenty that are both old time or km wise and they look great. and some that look perfect until you get to the broken bit.

whether you change them or not depends on your level of paranoia. there's probably much more chance of them being completely fine than failing, but if it was mine and i rode it my fear would be in overdrive by the time i was 2km from home, then i'd be overwhelmed with elation at having almost made it and then they'd break as i pulled in the drive. just my luck.
Yeah that’s probably my luck too, I’m leaning towards getting the bike serviced and belts changed before bringing it home, piece of mind and I’ll enjoy the ride that much more.

·
Registered
473 Posts

I don't really expect them to look "worn" but I would expect to see some form of dry rot or cracking or loose strands....something to indicate they might fail.
Then again, I'm sure you've seen more failures of that nature than I have

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m with belter. My fear would be through the roof. I would trailer it back and change them personally. Risk vs reward. And the risk of a belt breaking, however slim it might be, would outweigh renting a trailer or truck to go scoop it up.

Reactions: JB118

·
Registered
463 Posts
It is kilometres or in years. Don't take the risk, because failure will cost you a lot more.

Reactions: JB118
1 - 8 of 8 Posts