Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, lets say i took my timing belts off and changed them and some how in the process i messed something up.

A) What would it sound like when I started it?

B) how would i fix it?

hypothetically speaking, sort of...not really.:confused:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If all the dots line up on all the pulleys with the marks on the cases then you are good to go. If you are off by one tooth, maybe ok, no damage if started, but wont run properly if at all. If off by more than one tooth, then possibililty of valve contacting the piston, engine go bang.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Too vague. Does it run as good as it did before? Are the belts rubbing on the covers?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doesnt run at all. turns over. doesnt idle and then cuts out.

all the "notches" line up. not sure what to do next...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
could be electric
check wires, plugs or maybe fuel lines got pinched when you put it all back together.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
He's been through all that and we've had quite a discussion. I don't know what 'it doesn't run at all, doesn't idle then cuts out means. It's confusing.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a bit? Maybe the ECU got whacky with the electrical issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i turn the key everything lights up and runs the normal checks. i hit the starter button and the bike makes an attempt at starting, i then get a slow sound of "ker flump, ker flump, ker flump" (i know thats not highly technical) and it does that for a couple of seconds before slowly cutting out. it never reaches a true idle. if i open the throttle a little bit it has no effect. i know the cables are hooked up to the throttle body so that should be working...

i have tried the battery disconnect/reconnect, i have run the "hold dash button at start up test" no EFI faults, i pulled the timing belt covers back off-everything appears in order.

thinking maybe i put the fuel injector plugs on backwards when i reassembled. think that could do it? also got a recommendation to put a few drops of gas into each sparkplug cylinder and reinstall and fire. going to give it one more day then im looking for a trailer...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Ground wire from ECU? Ensure it is attached to battery box bolt on left side. Not to battery negative post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ground wire from ECU? Ensure it is attached to battery box bolt on left side. Not to battery negative post.
got that, thank you though, on my way to check to make sure all hoses, wires and everything goes to right spot. wish me luck!

fuel injectors were on backwards, switched that didn't help...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is a video of what is going on.... dont know if this helps at all. sorry its poor quality, i used my phone. might try to shoot with camcorder if anyone thinks a better pic might help.... thanks for all your help

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's cranking weak. Either a bad battery or not fully charged or there is too much resistance between the battery and starter.

Judging from the way the cranking slowed down at the end I would lean towards a bad battery or not fully charged. It should crank much longer and with more gusto. The ECU needs a certain minimum voltage to work and a weak battery's voltage will drop too much to operate the ECU.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's cranking weak. Either a bad battery or not fully charged or there is too much resistance between the battery and starter.

Judging from the way the cranking slowed down at the end I would lean towards a bad battery or not fully charged. It should crank much longer and with more gusto. The ECU needs a certain minimum voltage to work and a weak battery's voltage will drop too much to operate the ECU.
Thanks Mike! Short of buying a new battery how can I test these theories? I ran a multi on the battery yesterday and it was showing 12.76. Well, that was without a load on it. When it is cranking an slowing like that the light on the dash as well as the headlight is flickering on and off. Not sure if that tells anything or not...thanks again!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I agree with Mike that the battery should be fully charged. If it wont fully charge then you need a new one. Also, its easy to have the belts off by one tooth. Sometimes it looks like all the dots line up, but actually are off one tooth. Check them again if the new battery doesnt fix the problem.
Mike

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thanks Mike! Short of buying a new battery how can I test these theories? I ran a multi on the battery yesterday and it was showing 12.76. Well, that was without a load on it. When it is cranking an slowing like that the light on the dash as well as the headlight is flickering on and off. Not sure if that tells anything or not...thanks again!
Can you run jump leads from a car battery ?
Plenty of power from that will source answer the electrical doubts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
might be a dumb question...but couldn't that be too much power?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here are pics from the wheels and timing belts. i used the paint mark on the frame to line up the central "hub" wheel for both of the belts. i see them as lined up. anyone see something wrong?

horizontal upper, horizontal lower, vertical left, vertical right, central hub.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
What the heck???? Your marks aren't lined up at all. The marks on the case should line up to the marks on the cam gears. I have no idea what you're lining them up to. Hope your motor is OK.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What the heck???? Your marks aren't lined up at all. The marks on the case should line up to the marks on the cam gears. I have no idea what you're lining them up to. Hope your motor is OK.
yeah but they've all been spinning, they are all the same number of notches from marks on the case. count back from each mark and then the mark on the cam wheel shows up. am i wrong in my thinking here?

if i put the engine turning tool back in and "spin the wheel" five notches they will all line up. no?

all the marks on the cams matched up with the case were lined up when i put the belts on, and after "running" it a little as the belt turns the cams turn too, they are all the same number of notches "away" from the marks on the case....i hope

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
yeah but they've all been spinning, they are all the same number of notches from marks on the case. count back from each mark and then the mark on the cam wheel shows up. am i wrong in my thinking here?

if i put the engine turning tool back in and "spin the wheel" five notches they will all line up. no?
Why aren't you lining them up to the marks on the case instead of counting notches? Take them belts off and line those puppies up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts