Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me Hypermotard 1100 with 9,400 miles. PO said belts done at 8,500. Any way to tell by looking at a pic? Two bearings have outer surface rust but spin freely. Wondering if I should just have them changed to be safe.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Gear Bicycle part
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Gas

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Depends how much you trust the guy…Belts are cheap insurance, if I had any doubt I would replace. Far cheaper than replacing valves if it tosses a belt.

Reactions: JACKIE TREEHORN

·
Registered
131 Posts
Those don’t look like they have less than 1k miles on them to me. Unless they are run without covers.
Always hard to tell.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah no cracks and no rubber build up on belt covers but I will probably swap them this winter.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
147 Posts
Change em there cheep insurance
telling you that they were done at 8500mi isn't saying much, was that six weeks ago, six months, years? they are easy to diy and not very expensive. if it was my bike I would do them unless I can have near 100% proof that they were done.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Everyone is always very conservative with belt life estimates, and rightly so. I’ve pushed conventional wisdom limits a few times, but it’s always a calculated risk. I’ve waited until riding season is over to change belts, but i knew how old they were for sure. Age means more than miles on belt life, barring damage to the belt. And of course, using good quality belts to begin with that haven’t sat forever in a warehouse .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts