Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm in the process of repairing a crashed Ducati Streetfighter 848, e.g., frame, fairings, wheels, etc., and while attempting to learn about the timing belt process noticed that the belts on my bike seem out of time. I've reviewed several online posts, the technical manual, and some forums about timing and belt placement. The issue is that once I place the 848 in the Home position, TDC, horizontal cylinder,I notice that the vertical cylinder cams are not where they should be or what the manual and the videos have shown. The "T's" on the cams are facing towards the valve cover and should be at about the 4 O'clock position. See the pictures. All pictures were at Home position, Vertical TDC. Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive engine part Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Disc brake Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Automotive engine part

To my knowledge, the bike ran before the accident. I'm considering placing the horizontal cylinder in TDC, removing that belt, rotating the crank CCW 270 degrees, which should place the vertical cylinder in TDC, replacing that belt, then rotating the crank 540 degrees back to the horizontal cylinder TDC, replacing that belt and then tuning the belts. I, however, have very little Ducati experience.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
for sf848 that is correct. as i recall it, the previous orientation with the vertical cam t leg pointing to 4.30 was 998 - 1098. when they went to 1198, 848 evo they changed it to as you see it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. All the training videos and posts show differently but, to my knowledge, were all older models.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Thank you. All the training videos and posts show differently but, to my knowledge, were all older models.
Danger, Will Rogers, Danger! ..it aint a Dodge Ram, boy. :eek:

Get the proper reference material in front of you if you're gonna play surgeon. PDFs of the shop manuals are online and available. Youtube is possibly good for GENERAL procedures only. Possibly. Caveat emptor and all that.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Fixed it for you... ;)
Thanks man! After posting, it occurred to me that if the OP wasn't a Boomer, the reference may well have been lost in space.. :whistle::coffee:

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
..OK, caffeinated now. And you fixed the last name for lil Will! Senior moment...?

Reactions: ProphetPVD
1 - 13 of 13 Posts