Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -- kicking around the idea of souping up my track bike a bit -- FBF has a set of stock bore high compression pistons that are supposed to be "drop in". That and some headwork by jprecision should get me some more hp. However, I usually just use 91 octane pump gas, and a few have mentioned about adjusting the advance on the ignition to deal with the higher compression. I don't want to bother with an ignitech, so is there a way to advance/retard the ignition on a 900ss? Sorta of a newbie question... I've focused on suspension and tires, and maybe a powercommander if needed on my other bikes, so this is new territory for me.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have heard adjustable cams will accomplish what you want, the number I've been given for your setup on a carb bike is to retard 2 degrees. Not sure about Fuel Injection however.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
the 900ssie models use a 1.5m ecu, and the ignition control is part of the ecu function. it's a 3 dimensional ignition advance table, and the advance is not like the single step "curve" used in the carby bikes. at wot the ignition advance is an increasing curve, and from memory is about where you'd retard a carby bike to in the rpm range (under 5 - 6,000) that they ping.

you can easily read out the ecu file, modify the ignition advance tables and flash it back in again, but ime they are fine with up to 11:1 or so. if you advance the cams you'll possibly run into pinging in the midrange too, depending on what comp you have.

my experience is with je pistons, and i always take a 3mm cut across the top of them to lower their 11.5:1 comp to 10.8. i've done both std and cut pistons with cams advanced and that cut will stop them pinging with cams advanced.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should just box it up and ship it to you Belter... might be easier to get a flight to Australia than Quebec right now...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts