Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

So, this will probably be a rambling regurgitation of my life going back the past 21 or so months, but it will be brief.

On a spirited Sunday ride with a buddy of mine and his girlfriend, we entered a slow (30-ish mph) left hander - the last thing I remember is looking up and through the turn, the next was looking up at the clear blue July sky thinking this is not how I wanted my ride to end. His Aprilia RSV was toast and my bike was pretty busted up. The road to recovery was what it was and the bike rebuild gave me time to think and work on the bike - upgrading where I thought feasible and practical.

The tank was crushed and the headlight fairing partially destroyed and as luck would have it, I found a 'deal' for a tank and fairing for $300.00. Sure, they were the wrong color, but so what? These and the rest of the bodywork were sent to a local painter, $700.00 later, voila, new bodywork. OK, maybe $50 more for new decals to replace the scuffed ones. .

The right clip-on was snapped, so I replaced them both with the CycleCat version. The install was easy, the adjustments are easy with more than adequate range-of-motion to tailor the fit to my 6'2" frame. I love 'em. They arrived with the red fork covers, but a quick phone call to the manufacturer, and an appropriate color was sent. Super nice people to deal with - and the product is well made also.

As I had been running the bike with the stock headlamp assembly, I figured it would be a good time to replace it with something that actually lit the road in front of me. The DucatiDesign piece does the trick. The installation instructions and the kit itself is very well thought out and a breeze to install. AND - shnikeys! - I CAN SEE AT NIGHT!!! (well, while riding the bike anyway. . ) Thanks Paul - you do a service to us ST owners. . .

Before I crashed the bike, the forks were weeping a bit of fluid, so, time to rehab. Due to the response to a thread here, I went with NCRick to upgrade/rehab the forks with the Penske giddy-up. Rick is a super nice guy, stands behind the work that he does and does the job right. He and I had a few discussion via 'voice', discussing riding styles, what I hoped to get from the upgrade, etc. I have been far from disappointed. The bike pre-crash was on rails, now it is on rails cubed - pretty much regardless of road condition. I am very pleased with this performance upgrade.

My Arrow c/f mufflers were trashed, but I had the stock ones around, so I popped them on. Yeah, I know, maybe not as sexy looking or sounding, but - free. Ditto with the seat - I had bought the Corbin a couple of years back, was not totally thrilled with it and stored it away. Not so much free as not having to spend more money. So with these two mods(?) I put about 300 lbs back on the bike.

Since I added a bunch of weight back on the bike ;) , I had a stiffer spring installed on the Öhlins. I had my mechanic buddy (Mr. Aprilia)- fully Ducati/Öhlins certified etc. - do the work on the shock and set the bike up for me.

The only other thing worth noting is the new sprockets (front and rear) and chain that I installed. After much reading on this forum about all the pros and cons concerning all the different combos etc. ad nauseum - I went with the 15/42. What?! Sixth gear and not having to be slamming along in triple digits?? Hokey Shmokes Bullwinkle!

OK, I lied - I also replaced the steering head bearings. I don't understand why they aren't tapered or sealed. Oh well - I greased the snot out of them prior to install so maybe I will get a few thousand miles on before they need to be replaced. . .or never ride in the rain. The tires are Pilot Powers - though I only have a few hundred miles on them, I love them.

So to sum up this ramble - THANKS to all y'all who helped me with info/guidance given on this forum. It has proved to be an invaluable resource for most things Ducati!

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
I'm fairly new so I missed out on what happened in your accident. So...wa happened? Any lessons learned or was it inevitable?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The ST looks good in that egg yolk yellow.....

Doc

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill_Anderson said:
It is the faSTeST color.
Ya know, Bill, I gotta agree with you. . .;)

The color is the stock Ducati Giallo. . mixed by eye, as the color codes, while being PPG codes, mean almost nothing. Seems to me that they mix whatever they have on hand in Bologna when they spray the color.

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim_Upchurch said:
I'm fairly new so I missed out on what happened in your accident. So...wa happened? Any lessons learned or was it inevitable?
You didn't miss anything. I haven't blogged the story on any forum.

My buddy and I were entering a slow left hander - 30-35mph, he was in front about 75'. I remember looking up through the turn, set myself up, and woke up looking at the sky. We have both been wracking our brains as to what happened - but short of regressive hypnotherapy - we don't know. His girlfriend was behind us a hundred yards or so, and all she saw were our bikes tumbling and us sliding. We had buddies go back to the crash site and other than a suspicious oil like mark in the general area just before the turn,(they went back a few days later, and I believe it had rained in that time - I'm guessing, the lights never seemed to go out in ICU), there was nothing. It was in an open wooded area, next to a golf course, down the road from their vehicle maintenance shack - so the possibility of oil/crap on the road would not be unusual. The lesson learned is don't ride Snake Hill Road in Garrison, NY. Inevitable? I dress for the crash so. . .

The short story on the injuries:
My buddy, double fracture left leg. Me, 16 broken bones, collapsed lung and lacerated spleen. The trauma surgeon told us I broke so many bones because I was older than my buddy. I was 41 at the time, seems plausible. . . I guess. . .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Duc4S said:
The trauma surgeon told us I broke so many bones because I was older than my buddy. I was 41 at the time, seems plausible. . . I guess. . .
In my experience, the number of bones you break is not so much dependent on age as the number of hard edges and or acute angles that your body encounters on the way down and along the road. A low angle of impact with the road and few encounters with obstacles while sliding equals less breaks, while launching skywards and bouncing on the road or other hard things means more damage. Momentum matters (mass x velocity).

Unless you have low calcium intake or high calcium excretion or osteo-arthritis(= weak bones), the main difference with age seems to be that it takes longer for bones to knit back together.

Doc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts