Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first street bike was big, hairy 1975 Yamaha RD350 that I bought new when I was a young Marine in California. That thing was 100% capable of killing me, and it tried to on occasion. My own lack of common sense may have contributed. It was actually a pretty "hot" bike at the time as it made something approaching 40 horse power (claimed). It seems that the tires were sourced from The Flintstones and the frame and suspension might have been a bit flexible by modern standards, but it sure was fun. Modern bikes, while far more powerful and much faster, also have better brakes, better suspension, fantastic tires, and often come with some miraculous electronics. I DO approve of the Japanese tiered license system and I don't think that many of us should start out on an R1, but the fact is that bikes are getting better every year. I sure don't want that to stop.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm with DAVY on this one. Change the tracks to negate the need for ever more HP and increase the opportunity for places to overtake. It would make the racing closer and slower. Whether it would be safer is anybodys guess.
For the answer to that, just watch a Moto3 race.....

·
Registered
2013 Hypermotard SP
88 Posts
.. go to active air brakes? ... little flaps that (might) deploy out from each side of the bike ..... or something. Something to dirty the bikes up (aero wise) is my main point I suppose. Exactly where on the bike, and how to execute the idea is up to the smarty smart guys.

Or fuel capacity rules? Maybe?
Sit up straight, put you leg out. Thems your flaps lol

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S, 2020 Triumph Thruxton TFC, 2007 HD Street Glide
55 Posts
Engineers will always look away to make more efficient and faster bikes. I'm all for making the courses more technical and reducing the "nannies" and aero on the bike. Racing was plenty exciting in the days of Roberts, Agostini, and Hailwood.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The problem is the bikes are now so aero dependent for downforce that when following close into the braking area the lead bike messes up the aero on the following bike, he gets sucked in, loses downforce under brakes and that's just plain dangerous.
We did see that happen and it was a miracle no one got killed.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts