Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
.. go to active air brakes? ... little flaps that (might) deploy out from each side of the bike ..... or something. Something to dirty the bikes up (aero wise) is my main point I suppose. Exactly where on the bike, and how to execute the idea is up to the smarty smart guys.

Or fuel capacity rules? Maybe?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
208 Posts
Did not even realize the temps exceeded 1000*F!

I could see active air brakes work via the fins tilting down, but I think they will just increase the sweep area instead, or vent the disc.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
78 Posts
sounds unnecessary to me, understandably they want to do something that will help avoid another occurrence but it was by a team that used, used brakes of the wrong size. every time I have ever been on a track I learn the limits of the bike (or car) and work within them, granted the brakes failed in this case but that can happen no matter what (plus remember, used and wrong size) its like the old quote "if only they thought of adding one more layer to the hull of the titanic"

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I don’t like limiting fuel capacity because pit stops to refuel add an additional element of danger that doesn’t need to be there. Limits on engine capacity make more sense, or how about something that would probably reduce speed and be a real world solution: Noise Limits. Race developed exhaust systems that would result in quieter but more powerful street bikes.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I don’t like limiting fuel capacity because pit stops to refuel add an additional element of danger that doesn’t need to be there. Limits on engine capacity make more sense, or how about something that would probably reduce speed and be a real world solution: Noise Limits. Race developed exhaust systems that would result in quieter but more powerful street bikes.
Well, what I meant by limiting fuel capacity is to reduce it to the point where adding more power to the engine will result in not making the whole race. Pit stops are for endurance races.

Could also just take away the aero improvements that MGP currently allow. It really is just as simple as that.

F1 and Indy Car (or whatever that's called today) have managed to keep speeds below whatever the sanctioning bodies decide is safe.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
sounds unnecessary to me, understandably they want to do something that will help avoid another occurrence but it was by a team that used, used brakes of the wrong size. every time I have ever been on a track I learn the limits of the bike (or car) and work within them, granted the brakes failed in this case but that can happen no matter what (plus remember, used and wrong size) its like the old quote "if only they thought of adding one more layer to the hull of the titanic"
Couldn't agree more
Maybe the team should have been fined for using the wrong spec gear (how about the repair bill?)

They already have a maximum capacity of fuel allowed during the race, which is why they have adjustable maps and riders are messaged when to use them, how about removing the adjustability of that and give them one map, get rid of T/C while they're at it, and all the gizmos and rider aids like the start device and rear squat bullshit thing. Aero could be ditched as well as far as i'm concerned.
Give them a mechanical slipper clutch, but lose the anti wheelie, engine braking control and all the crap associated with the IMU. They would get better economy because they would be lighter, and riders would have to use their skills more and with no mapping to alter they would have to think about fuel and tyre economy and race using their brains for strategy, no electronic messages either, pit boards only.

Oh fuck it! lets go back to 500cc two strokes and be done with it.:ROFLMAO:

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This problem arose with the advancement of aero increasing speeds......

·
Registered
710 Posts
The G7 Summit has closed our museum down, so I have some spare time. Some observations, personal opinions only and not meant to be presented as 'wisdom', more like blithering drivel, but what the heck -
Racing is about going faster ...... because faster requires more commitment (bike, rider) and faster is dangerous.
If you make it so that racing is safer, you just get riders who will find another way to push the envelope and make it more dangerous (don't like the little git, but Marquez).
Bigger brake discs, pop-out aero-spoilers, ceramic hybrid seat foam and super-smart graphene undersuit gussetting - maybe all it means is an even thicker air-fence at San Donato, Mugello.
Nowadays the gap between what the racing bike can easily achieve (top speed/acceleration/braking & cornering G) and what is remotely safe to enjoy on public roads anywhere is huge. Still the roadbikes are insane - just pop up a few S1000RR Youtube videos and wince away. In 1980 a hi-speed road-bike crash would kill the rider, maybe a bit worse. With today's bikes the careless car get's cut in half, the bike's wreckage is spread over 1/2 a mile and poses a temporary threat to low-flying aircraft.
25 years ago we were dazed by the astonishing performance of Fireblades and R1s blasting out 110 -130hp, wheelying out of corners (a bit), spinning up the rear (yikes), gulping down lines of caged motorists in a blink. We are now knocking on the door of twice that, but there are twice as many cars on the road too, many of the drivers blinded by the stress of a life of information overload, on the phone or asleep while Elon steers from somewhere in Califonia. Think 25 years from now - and try to insure that.
So where do we go from here? -
Much as I love petrol powered prototypes amazing us with their exquisite engineering and barely contained mayhem, perhaps they are defunct. Perhaps all top-level racing should shift to electric? Relevant to the future, as opposed to the past.
Much as I love the idea that, finances permitting, I can jump on a motorcycle that is so light and beautifully constructed it might actually float and so powerful that the only way it's chassis can contain it's energy is for it to be measured and metered out millisecond by millisecond by a microchip and I can take this creation out and wield it amongst an unsuspecting public, much as I love all that, perhaps there should be a serious, manufacturer participating approach to licensing that trains the operator to properly understand and utilise the vehicle, requires experience with evidence to transition upwards through tiers of performance and mandates regularised re-testing to retain the right to ride.
Of course, all of this requires rules, rules that work across borders and rules that people will follow.
Some folks don't like rules.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This problem arose with the advancement of aero increasing speeds......
Did you read Michael Scott in the last AMCN?
Jerez
1987 - Gardner NSR500 lap record. 136.7km/h
2021 - Gardner Moto2 pole. 158.1 km/h
2021 - Vinales lap record 164.8 km/h

20% faster

·
Registered
24 Posts
The G7 Summit has closed our museum down, so I have some spare time. Some observations, personal opinions only and not meant to be presented as 'wisdom', more like blithering drivel, but what the heck -
Well-thought-out post and I enjoyed reading all but the last paragraph. I REALLY don't want government telling me how many horsepower I may have.

·
Registered
2009 M1100S, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
587 Posts
Chicanes are the obvious answer, not ever bigger brakes.
I'm with DAVY on this one. Change the tracks to negate the need for ever more HP and increase the opportunity for places to overtake. It would make the racing closer and slower. Whether it would be safer is anybodys guess.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well-thought-out post and I enjoyed reading all but the last paragraph. I REALLY don't want government telling me how many horsepower I may have.
Some folks don't like (more) rules - that's fine, I'm kind of with you on that. But it's not so much the government telling you how much horsepower you can have, it's them telling the 15 year-old in Saudi, or the crackhead down at the end of your street, or the young, rich guy whose daddy 'bought' his license and is now taking your daughter out on the back of the V4S he saw for the first time and bought for cash last weekend.
Yeah, yeah, I know, you can kill a pillion on a Vespa, but it's somewhat more likely on a testosterone fuelled Panigale.
Wait. WAIT! - Jeeezus! What am I doing??!! I'm arguing against big, hairy, sportsbikes, the thing I've devoted at least 50% of my entire life to. Please ignore ALL of the above.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts