Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hahaha. Funny you ask. Long story short. I was going out with my wife’s sister (Kristine) before I went out with my wife (Sharon). Then the tide turned and I start to go out with my now wife (Sharon). Kris didn’t mind going on the bike every now and then but Sharon got upset when she didn’t go on the bike because she just loved being on the back. I even managed to get her on the back of my 7/11 and do a few (5) laps of Philip Islands before stopping and being thrown out. She loved it. So she has no problems with me buying, selling and keeping what I like and what she likes. Kris (the wife’s sister you were asking after has become part of our family and is somewhat spoken for). I’ll leave it to your imagination to fill in the rest.
Buy the third bike. Storms always blow out to calm. It’s up to you how to ride it out (excuse the pun)
Curious, what is the third bike so I can make fun of it. >:):)
A new Electric bike that just got unveiled in the last week of March.
150MPH
35 minute charge time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
150MPH
35 minute charge time.
Weight ?
How far on a “35” minute charge.
Electric bikes have a really really long way to go before they can make a dent in the big bike market. As a commuter just maybe, but even then a 125 Vespa has a lot of poke for its size and will go a bazillion km before a refill.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
150MPH
35 minute charge time.
That's the Lightning, a seriously fast bike. They use Autodesk design tools at Lightning, and when I worked there (at Autodesk) I did a Generatively Designed Swingarm for it... A fraction of the weight of the original and about 1.5x stronger.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
Weight ?
How far on a “35” minute charge.
Heavy and not far... ;)

Electric bikes have a really really long way to go before they can make a dent in the big bike market. As a commuter just maybe, but even then a 125 Vespa has a lot of poke for its size and will go a bazillion km before a refill.
Agree completely... As a design exercise I tried configuring a hybrid bike power unit a few years back. While the packaging of the ICE/MGU was daunting, it's not impossible. It's what to do with the power storage package (batteries) that makes it impractical, at least for a sport bike.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Heavy and not far... ;)

Agree completely... As a design exercise I tried configuring a hybrid bike power unit a few years back. While the packaging the ICE/MGU was daunting, it's not impossible. It's what to do with the power storage package (batteries) that makes it impractical, at least for a sport bike.
It comes down to chemistry. The conversation of hydrocarbons to heat is quick, easy and in the small amounts used in a cylinder, can be cooled rather quickly. The conversation of hydrocarbon fuels produce a LOT of energy for their weight. Battery don’t and can’t produce this fast conversion (and quite possibly never will). Heat is the killer in their chemistry. The energy cycle to produce a battery compared to refining crude to petroleum I have no idea about but I guess it’s a hell of a lot more when you see how much poke a two kilo battery can produce compared to 2kg of fuel. I understand that a battery can be charged more than once, but that recharge energy has to come from something and somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Wow. From questionable taste in bike graphics to slagging people off to which model is the best to a posters odd cohabitation habits (your all just jealous:))to electric bikes. NOW we’re talking real thread jacking. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
That's the Lightning, a seriously fast bike. They use Autodesk design tools at Lightning, and when I worked there (at Autodesk) I did a Generatively Designed Swingarm for it... A fraction of the weight of the original and about 1.5x stronger.

The one I am talking about and photo posted of is named the "STRIKE".

·
Registered
202 Posts
150MPH
35 minute charge time.
Their initial announcement made it sound like you got the highest speed, the best range and the lowest price all at once. I got excited and thought maybe the electric bike industry finally got it's game changer. I was wrong. They finally came clean about the levels and the prices. You want all the good stuff it's $20K.

Gonna stick with internal combustion until they make it illegal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Their initial announcement made it sound like you got the highest speed, the best range and the lowest price all at once. I got excited and thought maybe the electric bike industry finally got it's game changer. I was wrong. They finally came clean about the levels and the prices. You want all the good stuff it's $20K.

Gonna stick with internal combustion until they make it illegal.

Trying to work a test drive.

Still might be with the 20K (For me)

·
Registered
381 Posts
It comes down to chemistry. The conversation of hydrocarbons to heat is quick, easy and in the small amounts used in a cylinder, can be cooled rather quickly. The conversation of hydrocarbon fuels produce a LOT of energy for their weight. Battery don’t and can’t produce this fast conversion (and quite possibly never will). Heat is the killer in their chemistry. The energy cycle to produce a battery compared to refining crude to petroleum I have no idea about but I guess it’s a hell of a lot more when you see how much poke a two kilo battery can produce compared to 2kg of fuel. I understand that a battery can be charged more than once, but that recharge energy has to come from something and somewhere.
Most commonly from coal fired power stations..... even if the country has renewables they would be lucky to contribute bugger all, the US claim they contribute 16.9% which is impressive for its size and consumption but really, not that significant overall when the whole worlds average is looked at (33% apparently...)

ahh the hypocrisy, not so much with new electric bikes but definitely with plug in electric car owners, dickheads with Teslas are the worst. If owners of electric vehicles want to drive them and charge them, they get a registration discount for their zero emissions but they're not really are they, after all, the fossil fuel that provides 66% of their charge has a significant carbon footprint but they get a pass on that.... Maybe their dedicated charge stations could have their own dedicated renewable supply network (not really feasible but a good idea....) and charge per KWh at the appropriate rate for their dedicated network and cost to provide the renewable electricity...
wonder how popular their tree hugging hippie crap would be then? i'm going to burn some petrol and kill some endangered species with my CO output.

81 - 100 of 155 Posts