Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,865 Posts
...Then there’s the taste factor, of which I have no control over but wish I did. Lots of rather “interesting” taste people have out there. I know the old adage “to each their own” but some of the decals I see on bikes is just odd to say the least. I’ve tried I’ll my life to bight my tongue when I see what some people do with their bikes but sometimes I just can’t help myself, my gag reflex is just to weak>:)

To wit...

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
Two things,

First... I've been through this entire thread and for the life of me cannot find any contributor whose post count is or is close to 1337.

Second... this:

:wink2:
Nothing wrong with going off on a tangent. I went off Pythagoras years ago. And besides, he was Greek, and I don’t believe they built any motorcycles. I did have a Greek girlfriend when I younger. Went out with her because I liked her mums cooking.

·
Premium Member
4,865 Posts
Nothing wrong with going off on a tangent. I went off Pythagoras years ago. And besides, he was Greek, and I don’t believe they built any motorcycles. I did have a Greek girlfriend when I younger. Went out with her because I liked her mums cooking.
Well played sir... very well played.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Opinions vary. I find this bike to be "Tacky". I live in a city full of high end cars and some bikes. C.F. just always looks tacky to me. I find the spirit of red or yellow with the Ducati's and Ferarri's too.
I have to agree. I find carbon fiber just completely tacky and lame. I think people are loading their bikes up with it because they are bored and want something to spend their money on.

When I see a Ducati on Craigslist that has been loaded up with CF and promoted like it is now something special, I feel like the bike has been molested and is no longer beautiful and pure. And then they think it's worth more money when it's actually worth less.

I'd like to sum up with: the 1098 is one of the most beautiful Ducs out there. It's destined to be a classic. It's hard for me to imagine someone wanting to change it. If that's the feeling it might just be time to change bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
Isn’t it strange that we don’t seem to mind doing our bikes as race replicas and even the manufacturers doing them yet if we saw someone paint their car in nascar sponsorship we’d laugh our arse off.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
I have to agree. I find carbon fiber just completely tacky and lame. I think people are loading their bikes up with it because they are bored and want something to spend their money on.

When I see a Ducati on Craigslist that has been loaded up with CF and promoted like it is now something special, I feel like the bike has been molested and is no longer beautiful and pure. And then they think it's worth more money when it's actually worth less.

I'd like to sum up with: the 1098 is one of the most beautiful Ducs out there. It's destined to be a classic. It's hard for me to imagine someone wanting to change it. If that's the feeling it might just be time to change bikes.
I’m not sure that they will stand the test of time Zaph. Ducati built so many of them and sold so many because they were cheap. To me they were an Italian Japanese bike, initially looked nice but lost that something that was a bit exclusive that Ducati had. I is, “oh look, there’s a bike coming down the street. Oh, it’s just another Ducati”. Not “wow, look, it’s a Ducati”. And as they become cheaper on the second hand market, and it’s hard to say this without being judgemental, they fall into the hands of the tacky bling merchants and become just a nothing bike.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Isn’t it strange that we don’t seem to mind doing our bikes as race replicas and even the manufacturers doing them yet if we saw someone paint their car in nascar sponsorship we’d laugh our arse off.
I don't laugh. I take a deep special delight when I see commitment to race graphics on most cars, good and bad. Like a Civic that sounds like a kazoo and one of the bumpers is falling off. Or, a $4000 paint job on a Ferrari that makes it look like a kit-car. I like that very much.

·
Premium Member
4,865 Posts
It depends on how you define "loading up". ;)

As long as it is "period correct" and is aligned with the original design intent, I have no issues with it. The pics of @yellowducking 's 999r are a good example of what I mean. Obviously that example is WAY over the top, e.g., the Öhlins FGR's for example, but with a few exceptions, there is nothing on that machine that one would not find on a front line racing machine of the day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Mate, we’re all the same. Melbernians hate new south Welshman. Queenslanders hate new south welshsman. NT and SA have to little population to worry about. Western Australia thinks it’s another country like New Zealanders think they’re another country and Tasmaniacs hate all of us. Have I derailed this thread enough?>:)
Mate, Its my thread. Derail if ya want. Been to Sydney quite a few times and a few other places there. Just returned Tambourine mountain, Labrador, Gold Coast area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

I bought a Triumph last year. Just got done customizing it. Looking to revamp the Duc bit not permanently so it feels fresh. Not destroy the lines anymore than a Vinyl decal can do.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I’m not sure that they will stand the test of time Zaph. Ducati built so many of them and sold so many because they were cheap. To me they were an Italian Japanese bike, initially looked nice but lost that something that was a bit exclusive that Ducati had. I is, “oh look, there’s a bike coming down the street. Oh, it’s just another Ducati”. Not “wow, look, it’s a Ducati”. And as they become cheaper on the second hand market, and it’s hard to say this without being judgemental, they fall into the hands of the tacky bling merchants and become just a nothing bike.
I disagree. The lines and the motor were so unique and around me they hold their value quite well actually. Ducati will most likely never become a nothing bike IMO because the maintenance keeps it in an elite place all by itself. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
Mate, Its my thread. Derail if ya want. Been to Sydney quite a few times and a few other places there. Just returned Tambourine mountain, Labrador, Gold Coast area.
Have you been in oz long enough to hear the expression “pour yourself a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up”?
Mate, don’t be so precious. I was like you at the start here. I had my cup and all is good. The mods control content and do a good job (suck suck:)) and they let threads go off course and as long as we sort of keep it on track and don’t swear at each other TO much all is good with the world here. It’s called the art of conversation. Give it a go once in a while :wink2:.
And here, have a read. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/78-road-racing/615858-cultural-differences-thing-about-australians.html
Maybe dutchy could give it a read as well:)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I live near Polaris HQ and know a number of the designers. They are all motorheads from all over the world. They've worked for KTM, BMW, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, etc and their garages are full of great stuff. Mostly sportbikes and no cruisers. Terblanche visited their studio a couple of years ago. The thing you realize talking to them is that good design isn't an accident, it is the result of accomplished professionals, just like MotoGP racers are racing MotoGP because they have superlative skills.

When I was young, I spent hours pouring over the J.C. Whitney catalog, looking at all the ways I could improve a car. There was a time when I spent hours and copious dollars customizing bikes to make them better. Eventually I came to realize that if J.C. Whitney designers were any good, they'd be working for the manufacturers and that my design skills were so weak, that I'd been impressed by J.C. Whitney stuff.

About 4 years ago, I bought a 1098S Tricolore off of eBay. The seller had customized it. Fancy trilcolor seat cover, belly pan painted to match the green on mids, front fender painted white, seat surround painted white. It was easy to see the seller wanted to eliminate some of the colors on the bike and simplify the paint scheme. The bike went through eBay with no bids twice before I bought it for less than $8K. It came with all the stock bodywork and was otherwise in good shape. After I put the stock bodywork back on I sold it for $10K to the first person who saw it.

Perhaps, the OP is a professional designer, but if he were I doubt he'd be on a forum asking for ideas on how to customize his bike. Stock bikes and factory racebike paint schemes are all the products of professional designers. Can you beat a MotoGP rider on the track? Can you design well enough to create products for J.C. Whitney or manufacturers? There is a reason they are professionals and we are not. I say leave it stock.

Lastly the 1098 is a fine design albeit basically a 916 derivative. When the Polaris design guys visit my workshop and talk about the Ducatis there, they spend a little time with the 888 and 916s and pretty much ignore the 1098R. The bike they spend the most time looking at and discussing? The 999R.

41 - 60 of 155 Posts