Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to switch up the looks of the bike and modernize it a lil. Anyone took off all the graphics and changed the look? Or added new graphics?

Board seems to be dead.

Anyone still making vinyl decals?

Anyone still riding?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've got a yellow 1098 and I've love to add a tricolore stripe across the mid-fairings--just can't seem to find anyone that's made one t fit our bikes.

Would love any leads here regarding cool, classy, understated graphics ideas/sources for the 1098 range!

Greg
Austin TX USA

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's ridiculous, rude and outright wrong. The 848/1098 series is very attractive, and well-balanced. Properly proportioned for the American-sized rider, unlike the Panigales that followed. That said, the Panigales look great too, in my opinion.

If you have something positive to add here, please do so. If not, troll elsewhere please.

Everybody can have an opinion, I suppose, even if they're wrong! :)

Greg

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
That's ridiculous, rude and outright wrong. The 848/1098 series is very attractive, and well-balanced. Properly proportioned for the American-sized rider, unlike the Panigales that followed. That said, the Panigales look great too, in my opinion.

If you have something positive to add here, please do so. If not, troll elsewhere please.

Greg
Ha ha. I am not a troll, and I believe that the first sentence of my post was positive. So no more discussion about those two points. About rude, I was not offensively impolite. I can show offensively impolite if we need to establish a baseline. If a feeling was escalated, I am not responsible for that.

And you can bet my opinion will be "wrong" sometimes while at others it will be "right." I bet if i posted pics of The Time Machine you would have no problem disliking what I have done. I don't have a problem with that either.

As to making XX98 look good. Track skins and do something about that giant heat shield on the exhaust. I'll limit myself to that for now.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts

Greg
Dude... @Namor has been a member of this board forever (check the post count) and the very last thing he can be described as is a troll.

He gave you his honest opinion... please respond accordingly.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've got a yellow 1098 and I've love to add a tricolore stripe across the mid-fairings--just can't seem to find anyone that's made one t fit our bikes.

Would love any leads here regarding cool, classy, understated graphics ideas/sources for the 1098 range!

Greg
Austin TX USA
Am a big fan of Giallo, but that's not the problem with the 1098/848's. It has more to do with the styling of the bike itself. If our eye travels from the front to the back of a bike, the Foundation Line is an "imaginary" line that our brain follows as we observe the design. In the 916/748 series, and to a lesser degree the 999/749 series, that line begins just below the intake "nostrils" at the front of the fairing, and moves aft from there, lining up with the bottom of the tank, and ultimately following the base of the seat. In the 916 especially, this line is uninterrupted, and offers plenty of options for mapping graphics, which either strictly or loosely follow that line.

In the 1098/848, the Foundation Line is a less well defined line, and more of a suggestion of the line if the eye follows the same path from front to rear. The bottom of the tank angles up from it's bottom forward edge to it's rear where it meets the seat. Your options for adding graphics which "follow" this are going to be limited. However, you DO have one very cool thing going for you with that bike... they seem to have employed what in automotive design is known as a Shoulder Line... which is typically a broad visual cue, again interpreted by the brain when observing a design, which moves uninterrupted through the design. In automotive design, this line typically begins at or just aft of the front wheel arch, and then moves to the rear.

The 1098 has a beautiful example of this... the vent on the side of the fairing shares almost the same angles as the side covers below the tank, which then visually blends with the sides of the seat and then terminates in those interesting panels on the sides of the tail. I bet you could do something really cool from the vent rearward that blends really well with that design feature.

P.S. Namor's is right... get rid of the huge exhaust shield. Go with nothing, or at a minimum, the smallest shield you can find.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good luck, and I mean it.

The xx98 and 848 came out stale. There isn't much that you can do with em to make them look good.
Personally, I still think to this day that the 1098 is the best looking Ducati ever made. It was unique as hell at the time in both body, chassis, and motor. I keep looking at the new ones and keep waiting for something to grab my eye but bought a Triumph to go next to may Duc instead.

Here one someone on this site owns. Love the look. (Except the silver chrome).

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a 1098 so don't FLAME me bro.

My friend carbon wrapped his Pani 1199 with this cool graphic running thru the middle, might suit your ride.

Ha, see what I did there. :laugh:

Opinions vary. I find this bike to be "Tacky". I live in a city full of high end cars and some bikes. C.F. just always looks tacky to me. I find the spirit of red or yellow with the Ducati's and Ferarri's too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Am a big fan of Giallo, but that's not the problem with the 1098/848's. It has more to do with the styling of the bike itself. If our eye travels from the front to the back of a bike, the Foundation Line is an "imaginary" line that our brain follows as we observe the design. In the 916/748 series, and to a lesser degree the 999/749 series, that line begins just below the intake "nostrils" at the front of the fairing, and moves aft from there, lining up with the bottom of the tank, and ultimately following the base of the seat. In the 916 especially, this line is uninterrupted, and offers plenty of options for mapping graphics, which either strictly or loosely follow that line.

In the 1098/848, the Foundation Line is a less well defined line, and more of a suggestion of the line if the eye follows the same path from front to rear. The bottom of the tank angles up from it's bottom forward edge to it's rear where it meets the seat. Your options for adding graphics which "follow" this are going to be limited. However, you DO have one very cool thing going for you with that bike... they seem to have employed what in automotive design is known as a Shoulder Line... which is typically a broad visual cue, again interpreted by the brain when observing a design, which moves uninterrupted through the design. In automotive design, this line typically begins at or just aft of the front wheel arch, and then moves to the rear.

The 1098 has a beautiful example of this... the vent on the side of the fairing shares almost the same angles as the side covers below the tank, which then visually blends with the sides of the seat and then terminates in those interesting panels on the sides of the tail. I bet you could do something really cool from the vent rearward that blends really well with that design feature.

P.S. Namor's is right... get rid of the huge exhaust shield. Go with nothing, or at a minimum, the smallest shield you can find.
Remind me never to go to an art museum with you or drink expensive wine with ya! LOL

I do not have an exhaust shield on my bike. Never liked the look. Just took off a handful of decals today and ordering a few to see what I can come up with that gives "Me" a new feel with it. Some Marlboro decals, Ohlins, Pirelli, Motul, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Greg
Austin TX USA

I just went through a plethora of Google images. Just ordered some decals from E-bay to try out and see how they look. Gone go slow and see what happens. Just finished customizing a new Triumph. Back to the Ducati till something else catches my eyes.

You might have to measure it and have it custom made.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think the XX98 bikes are exceptional looking machines. They don't really require much in the graphics department but I don't see anything wrong with adding a little personal touch to make it your own...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Greg
Austin TX USA

Just came across this "LOOK".

In case it sparks some ideas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I think the XX98 bikes are exceptional looking machines. They don't really require much in the graphics department but I don't see anything wrong with adding a little personal touch to make it your own...
They are, most definitely, a "masculine" looking machine. Aesthetically beautiful, no, at least not to me. But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Case in point... a fully dressed XX9 is, at least in my opinion, a pretty hideous looking thing. However, undressed, their beauty is undeniable.

@yellowducking 's 999R...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, that certainly is a pice of mechanical art, no doubt about it. When I was rebuilding my 1198, I'd sit out in the garage enjoying a cold beverage and stare at it and just enjoy the beauty of thing. And at the time, it was merely a frame and 3/4 of a motor lol

As for the OP, I'd honestly stay away from the Chinese body kits you can find on e-bay and go with something a bit more subtle. You can find all kinds of cool Ducati decals on e-bay and most are actually quite well made. My personal opinion is to use the decals to accent the design and not overpower it. The decal kits are usually too much for my taste.

It all depends upon what you like. Do you want the full on race livery or do you want something more subtle? One of my favorite Ducati graphics is the 1198 Corse or Multistrada Pike's Peak - both are very attractive imho

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Well, that certainly is a pice of mechanical art, no doubt about it. When I was rebuilding my 1198, I'd sit out in the garage enjoying a cold beverage and stare at it and just enjoy the beauty of thing. And at the time, it was merely a frame and 3/4 of a motor lol

As for the OP, I'd honestly stay away from the Chinese body kits you can find on e-bay and go with something a bit more subtle. You can find all kinds of cool Ducati decals on e-bay and most are actually quite well made. My personal opinion is to use the decals to accent the design and not overpower it. The decal kits are usually too much for my taste.

It all depends upon what you like. Do you want the full on race livery or do you want something more subtle? One of my favorite Ducati graphics is the 1198 Corse or Multistrada Pike's Peak - both are very attractive imho
This was IMHO, hands down the best looking livery ever to grace the 1098/1198/848... This isn't going to help @LiesAngeles or @greg328 as you'd need a red bike to pull it off, but if I was riding one of these, this is how I'd have it done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 1098/848 are such great looking BALLSY bikes. Perhaps the last of an era that still has cues of the 916 series bike.
Not to mention they are built for grown folks. I am still a huge fan of the original Bayliss Xerox replica scheme (not the phillip Island version).
from what your saying, you live in area where there is lots of high end this and that, and bling is everywhere, why not go with quality carbon bodywork, and do some nice ducati red, leaving some areas exposed in traditional R fashion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 1098/848 are such great looking BALLSY bikes. Perhaps the last of an era that still has cues of the 916 series bike.
Not to mention they are built for grown folks. I am still a huge fan of the original Bayliss Xerox replica scheme (not the phillip Island version).
from what your saying, you live in area where there is lots of high end this and that, and bling is everywhere, why not go with quality carbon bodywork, and do some nice ducati red, leaving some areas exposed in traditional R fashion.
I have a red Ducati 1098 right now.
I also like the Xerox bikes. Leaning towards the Marlboro version a lil bit more now though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 155 Posts