Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have this salvaged 05 749 Dark, and it came to me mostly assembled, but the headlight pod, fairings, external stuff etc are all disassembled.

Now I have some bags of hardware, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what these parts are, and I thought someone with some pretty intimate knowledge of 749/999 stuff might be able to direct me to getting these parts back into their respective homes.

Take a look at the pic and tell me where this stuff should go.

Some hints:

I know the large-headed allen on the lower right is for the mudguard under the headlights, but the other allen has a slightly smaller thread.

The black thing on the left is a rubber gasket. But for what?

I haven't seen any of the other hardware used on the bike elsewhere so I am guessing they are somewhat unique for a reason. But I just don't know where they go!

OK, anyone have any answers?

Thanks for playing!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Hi All,

The black thing on the left is a rubber gasket. But for what?

Thanks for playing!
The gasket goes between the mirror and the nose fairing. The two brass screws hold the mirrors on.

The two small allen screws and regular washers at the top of the pic look like the ones that go from the subframe to the seat posts.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I can tell you that the two large headed cap screws to the lower right look like the two larger screws that hold the tail section on the frame above the pipe. If they are the ones I'm thinking of they fit under the p-pad fwd. They'd screw downward through the two elongated holes.

One thing you can do is go to Ducati.com and download the parts manual. That would give you a breakdown of all the parts and where they go.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Yeah, I got the download of the parts breakdown. But the partslist isn't so detailed to give you the thread length and diameter of each screw. It just lists screws. Which is fine if you can cross reference it to something you can recognize, but in this case, most of this hardware is unique to anything else I've bolted onto the bike so far.

Its kind of a fun challenge to put a bike together that came in a box. Its like a big model kit. :think:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The squarish gasket (thicker one) is for the front fender where the right-side brake line feeds from the bar to the right-front caliper.

The thinner gasket is for the mirror, as said before.

The 2 small allen bolts, fender washers, and lock washers are for the rear seat posts. They screw in from the bottom just behind the seat. You'll see 2 small tabs sticking out of the rear subframe for them.

The smaller allen screw on the bottom-right is possibly for the rear seat fairing too. They are the back-most screws that hold the fairing of the subframe (screw from the top), under the passenger seat.

The brass bolts are for the mirrors as stated before.

Not sure about the black screws, never seen them. Possibly the 2 screws that hold the 2 side-fairings together at the bottom?

Good luck

·
comrade moderator
26,989 Posts
Ok...the two flat washers and the two lock washers go on the allen cap screws at the top of the pic. They go under the tail section on the subframe above the rear tire, one on each side, going in straight up. 4 mm head.

The two black screws with the plastic washers are for the very bottom of the fairing halves, again going in straight up. 4mm head.

The two gold ones are for the mirrors and are a "breakaway" design, so be cool on the torque. 3mm head.

The other two are NOT seat bolts...no idea on those. Probably front fender or maybe heat shield. It won't be a structural part.

The mirror gaskets are bigger than that, aren't they? The square bit sounds correct.

It's fun seeing all the different answers...you'll hafta tell us who was correct!

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 square grommet is for the brake line through the front fender, the other grommet is for the mirror, the fender washers lockwashers and silver bolts at the top are for the seat, gold bolts are for the mirrors, the black bolts are too short for the bottom of the fairing might be for the top where its attached to the frame(because it's a dark bolts instead of zeus), and the last 2 bolts I think they're for the heatsheild on the can
P.S. thanks for the riddle it was fun

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are gooood!

I just went and started assembling my bike and all of you were pretty close.

Except the black screws with the nylon washers were I believe for attaching the side fairings to the upper fairing (they worked!)

Man, assembling the headlight housing was a total PITA. I've never seen one assemble before so I had no idea where the wires were routed or which bolts went where. That thing has a ton of different length bolts and its a really picky thing to assemble. I wish is had a nice handy electrical connector that was easy to get at to remove it for the track.

Thanks for playing guys.

I have a few more pieces of hardware I'll be asking about later! So we'll play again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad things worked out.

I just put my bike back together after a year of track riding. You're right, the headlight housing is a bit of a puzzle, even though I'm the one that took it apart.

Can't wait 'till the next round...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts