Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on which chain and sprocket to purchase. Considering a Sprocket Center 530 with a 42 tooth rear with ek chain. Is a quick change sprocket worth the extra cost? My bike has almost 20,000 miles on it. Do I need to purchase new cush drives?

Thanks Ron

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Got the same kit. 20k on my '12. Not going to replace the cush drive..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Are you pleased with the 42 tooth rear sprocket.
The 42 is awesome, it makes everything better, smoother, and makes 6th usable.
I did the quick change and DID 530 ZVMX in nickel. Did not change cushys at about 20k as well. The quick change pays for itself on the second sprocket change.

Very Satisfied; $395 from Sprocket Center.
t_bare

·
Registered
884 Posts
50,000Ks on my DID 530 chain, i got the quick change carrier, a 42 tooth rear sprocket and a standard (15 tooth?) and DID, all from Sprocket Centre, they also gave me a T-shirt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, I can honestly say I rarely , and I mean rarely use 6th gear because it is so tall.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would recommend thinking of a 43 rear. Because I’m midway through my current chain's life, I just swapped out the front sprocket for 14t for this summer's riding. It’s nearly the exact equivalent of a 15t/43t setup and it is awesome. It does not shorten the gearing too much in my opinion. 6th gear is still for 70+ mph only.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the Enduro model, which has different final drive ratios than the road Multi.

(It also has a shorter 1st gear, but not relevant to this conversation.)

In my riding, I have found that the drive ratios are pretty good. I may shift a little more frequently than with a road Multi due to the gear ratio being shorter, but I am able to use 6th gear at 60mph or above without issue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would recommend thinking of a 43 rear.
Does anyone make an affordable 43T rear sprocket? Supersprox is the only company I see that offers a 43T rear and they want US$205 for it! I'd prefer more affordable (quick change?) option for something like this that's a wear item...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I went with the 42 tooth rear sprocket and quick change; I like it. The bike is happier and actually gets 1.5 mpg more.

The only thing I notice is since I made the change I have more drivetrain noise cruising down the interstate, like a szchooop szchooop szchooop noise. I can't find anything wrong though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
42T rear is awesome. 6th gear is very useable now on the highway. And you still get 265km/u topspeed.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Have to agree here. The 15/42 combo is great on the MTS. I Went with steel and fixed rather then quickchange stuff because its Another couple of bolts I dont need to check.
The combo seems to work fine in Traffic creeping along in 1:st/2nd gear at 2000rpm aswell as cruising at 65mph or more in 6th.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have to agree here. The 15/42 combo is great on the MTS. I Went with steel and fixed rather then quickchange stuff because its Another couple of bolts I dont need to check.
The combo seems to work fine in Traffic creeping along in 1:st/2nd gear at 2000rpm aswell as cruising at 65mph or more in 6th.
Hey a little novice on this so

Where did u buy the 42 chain and 15 is that sprocket size? and can this be done by our self? Please post links thank you

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hey a little novice on this so

Where did u buy the 42 chain and 15 is that sprocket size? and can this be done by our self? Please post links thank you
42, is the number of teeth on the rear sprocket, 15 teeth is the front sprocket. (from memory standard is 15-39?) Sprocket Centre is a great place to purchase these, along with a 530 DID chain. (Quick change sprocket carrier also if you wish), I went this way, (15F 42R DID 530 chain and a quick change carrier) I've covered 50,000Ks now on this combo, prob should do a change, but they all are still in good condition.

Reactions: Ducati1200Raj

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMO 15/42 is the ratio this bike should've came out of Italy with. Feels less like its "in between" gears, but mainly slower corners (turning on side streets etc) 2nd feels more at home. For the peeps that say "6th gear is finally usable" to me is a moot point. Whether your at 60mph taching 3k in 5th or 6th gear, what difference does it make? Sounds like less shifting to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
IMO 15/42 is the ratio this bike should've came out of Italy with. Feels less like its "in between" gears, but mainly slower corners (turning on side streets etc) 2nd feels more at home. For the peeps that say "6th gear is finally usable" to me is a moot point. Whether your at 60mph taching 3k in 5th or 6th gear, what difference does it make? Sounds like less shifting to me.
6th is an overdrive gear. Its there to lower engine speed and thus fuel consumption at highway speeds, but 60mph is still marginal unless your on a freeway imho. Even with the 15/42 combo.
I usually go into 6:th when I see that Im cruising at above 3,5-4K rpm in 5:th

·
Registered
51 Posts
6th is an overdrive gear. Its there to lower engine speed and thus fuel consumption at highway speeds, but 60mph is still marginal unless your on a freeway imho. Even with the 15/42 combo.
I usually go into 6:th when I see that Im cruising at above 3,5-4K rpm in 5:th
^^^ I get this, what I find odd is the claim that 6th isn't usable with stock gearing at highway speeds. I assume highway speeds = 60+, and the bike will happily cruise along at 60 in 6th and tach less then ::dare I say it:: 3k. Perhaps if your fueling is fubar this isn't possible? Of course a spirited pass will require grabbing a lower gear, but in the meantime why not consume less fuel?

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^^ I get this, what I find odd is the claim that 6th isn't usable with stock gearing at highway speeds. I assume highway speeds = 60+, and the bike will happily cruise along at 60 in 6th and tach less then ::dare I say it:: 3k.
Right. And when you open the throttle to accelerate, you'll find that there's very little torque on tap until the engine spins into the 4-5K range, which takes forever because 6th gear is so tall. If you've got a wide-open road in front of you this isn't an issue. In traffic, I find myself frequently having to downshift from 6th to 5th in order to pass slower-moving traffic. This happens often enough that I've pretty much given up using 6th gear.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Sure, the engine will pull the bike 60mph in 6th, but like fubar said, you've got no usable engine power there. That's probably ok if one is loping along on open road all by themselves. But I think the engine is much happier spinning at 4-5k rpms, which is right in the sweet spot. Even at highway speeds I'm in 5th gear, and sometimes even 4th, depending on traffic. I want available power to be able to take evasive action quickly if needed. That extra second or two needed to downshift and then accelerate may be the difference between getting out of harms way and not. To me that is a bit more important than saving a few bucks on fuel.

Reactions: DaveNZ
1 - 19 of 19 Posts