Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you just put it in gear and torque the flywheel nut? It seems like I am going to break something if I forcefully torque it. Just want to make sure.

Also the ft lbs is 200?!?! My wrench only reads to 150...

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
No, you cannot put it in gear to tighten the flywheel. Engine compression is not enough, holding the rear brake with it in gear is not enough. Maybe jamming something between the rear wheel spoke and swing arm, but that sounds like a real bad idea to me. There are flywheel holders. Different ones for three phase and single phase bikes. If you don't want to spend the money on that tool, you can simply get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0427-Gear-Jammer/dp/B001AVS60O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1D9M71LUP57K2&keywords=motion+pro+jammer&qid=1565645241&s=gateway&sprefix=motion+pro+jam%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWSU85UVg3WDlRMTgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMTg0NDJKRlFPTFdNV1BDVkYmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDEwOTI3ODNCSlJVMFc3RExFTFEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Works perfect and it is what I used when installing a light flywheel. No problems at all and doesn't put the torque into the drive train.

Torque the nut to whatever the manual says it needs to be. If it says 200, then that is it. Be sure you're not confusing NM with FT Lbs though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, you cannot put it in gear to tighten the flywheel. Engine compression is not enough, holding the rear brake with it in gear is not enough. Maybe jamming something between the rear wheel spoke and swing arm, but that sounds like a real bad idea to me. There are flywheel holders. Different ones for three phase and single phase bikes. If you don't want to spend the money on that tool, you can simply get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0427-Gear-Jammer/dp/B001AVS60O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1D9M71LUP57K2&keywords=motion+pro+jammer&qid=1565645241&s=gateway&sprefix=motion+pro+jam%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWSU85UVg3WDlRMTgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMTg0NDJKRlFPTFdNV1BDVkYmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDEwOTI3ODNCSlJVMFc3RExFTFEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Works perfect and it is what I used when installing a light flywheel. No problems at all and doesn't put the torque into the drive train.

Torque the nut to whatever the manual says it needs to be. If it says 200, then that is it. Be sure you're not confusing NM with FT Lbs though.

Got it thanks!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you don't want to spend the money on that tool, you can simply get one of these.
Maybe because i'm on a mobile device but your link doesn't work for me, can you share the part number for this tool? Can you use it on both flywheel style?

Is there any chance of damage to the gears using this locking tool?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
I don't think there is really any part number. Just Google Motion Pro Gear Jammer Tool. They are all over the place and less that $15.00 USD. No damage to the gears. Just don't go at it with and impact gun. Easy pull with a torque wrench set to the proper torque, red thread locker for both lube and to keep it on...

People have used copper pennies to do this. I think this tool would be a better bet if you don't want to buy the Ducati tool. There are cheaper alternatives to the Ducati tool if you have a three phase generator, but you're pretty limited with the single phase bike.

·
Registered
322 Posts
HI Ryan Lacorte

as SS904 says older type 1/3 phase called SPOKE WHEEL TYPE TOOL

DUCATI TYPE MAGNETIC STATOR LOCK TOOL LASER CUT R92+ R93 STATOR up to 1998
Item number: 2644070331

or from 1999 3 PHASE TOOL across the range ducati fitted 3 sizes flywheel

DUCATI FLYWHEEL LOCK TOOL FOR ST .ST3 ST4S 748 996 998 /1098 3 PHASE TYPE
Item number: 264407038392·

1 - 6 of 6 Posts