Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Tidying up my 748S and have a couple of questions. Took the battery out and cleaned up the postive cable. Little corrosion forming there. Got out the baking soda and neutralized the acid and wire brushed the "clamp". Put a little grease on it and reinstalled. Anything else I could do to prevent the acid formation?

Replaced my battery vent tube. One that was on there was slipping off the vent. Made me nervous. New tube fits good and snug. Never have known what to do with that "dangling" end. Does it loop down and back up the wire retainer or just down below the fairing?

And finally, the bike had a carbon fiber clutch cover when I purchaced it. Figured I might want more protection there and found an oem cover on ebay but the color is not right I don't believe. I have 2000 748S with the gray/green engine side covers. Is there a paint available to match that (Dupicolor maybe) or what else could I do to make the cover look better besides getting a nice Cycle Cat? It's a brighter silver color. Don't think this is the correct cover color for my 2000 model but I might be wrong.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
709 Posts
the vent tube runs straight down into the bellypan [I believe there is actually a hole in the stock fairing that it drops through] There should [if I remember correctly] be a wire loop down by the oil pre-filter bolt that it goes through on its way out the bottom of the fairing. There are products available at most automotive parts joints [autozone,etc] that you can seal the terminals with. I use them on my boat battery every season]

I would get a stock cover, any color, and sand/ re-paint it with a color you like to accent the bike [gold, red, yellow, etc.] it dosen't have to match the case covers...customize, be different, let yourself go.

If you are desperate for a stock olive cover, PM me. I probably have one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Blade! There is a hole in the bottom that I guess my coolant overflow tube runs through but not enough room to pass the battery tube through. Seems like I saw a pic once of the battery tube looped through the wire "hanger" with the end pointing back up. But for now I just passed it through and let it dangle down below.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the positive terminal as I can see it through the opening in the fairing. If I see it getting crusty again I'll find the stuff you made mention of. Is it a spray or tube?

I'm going to take a look at the duplicolor auto paints and see if there is a color that might look cool. Thanks for the offer on the oem cover. If I don't find something I wanna try I'll probably be PM'ing you.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
8,267 Posts
What you can do to prevent rust on the battery terminal is just grease it after you´ve put it on. It´s not going to hurt anything.

You could also get your wife´s/girlfriends clear-nailpolish and apply some of that.

I use marinegrease and just grease the terminals, that way i always have a little "over" if i need it by the side of the road.

//amullo

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're getting that fluffy stuff on your battery terminals, keep a close watch on the state of charge of the battery. That corrosion is a good indication that sulphation is going on and the battery is on it's way out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip on the sulfation, Paul. I'll keep an eye on the charge. I keep it on a battery tender but the battery is over two years old I'm guessing. I think the PO had put the current battery in it right before I bought it. Might be time to invest in a new one when I get her back on the road again soon to head off any problems.

Mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mark, you're welcome. My OEM sealed Fiamm (it's five years old) sulfates the negative terminal when it's hooked up to the tender. I use one of those BatteryMinders that have a desulphation pulse current deals. I'm sure that the PO didn't have the maintainer on the battery during the first two years that he owned the machine. So the battery has been abused no doubt.

I e-mailed BatterMinder and asked about the corrosion. They told me that the battery is sulphated and it will continue to show corrosion at the terminal. The battery still cranks the engine over strongly, but it's just something that I file in the memory banks to be aware of any change in electrical behavior.

BTW, I have a six year old lead/acid Yuasa in my FZR that's always been on a maintainer (I haven't ridden the machine in YEARS). That battery is still an animal...and the plates are as clean as the day it was filled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts